Wheelsets

oclv110

What will be the best bet in wheels.Dura-Ace or Mavic Ksyriums SL.Which is the cheapest and which have the better features.(Weight,performance,price ect.

Interesting bench you are pulling their with the two brands and series as they are just about on par with one another :)

Here's some quick facts that I've learned between the two........Mavic's are lighter BUT....and this is a HUGE BUT.........Theit spokes they use can't be tensioned with the normal type of wheels equipment due to it being tensioned to a higher tnesion than normal wheels.......

This has two major negatives to it:

1) If you break a spoke you need to stop their and then else you will destroy the wheel due to the tension being to high on the other spokes

2) No ordanary bike shop have the equipment to repair these wheels.....upto a a year back only the suppliers had the tools......and it took forever due to the amount of comebacks.....

This information is quite accurate as my best friend works for the supplier whi imports these......They get warrentee claims weekly on these.....

What's the take of the other hubbers out there on these wheels ??????

A few years back, when K's were THE wheel to have, I was interested in a wheel upgrade.  I struck up a conversation with a guy on a pair of K's.  He did not look like typical market, as he was a substantial gentleman.  Prosperous looking.

Did he like the wheels, I asked him, and was he happy that they were light and fast?

Turns out he didn't give a rat's, he was just fed up with breaking spokes.  So there's your answer, Jokerman.  Sure, the spokes may be expensive, finding a wrench to work on them may be tricky and even finding (and affording!) the spokes may be an issue.

But, they do not break.

Fast forward some years and several thousand KM, and I am riding a pair.  So far they have lived up to their reputation for being bullet proof, and even a relative lightweight such as I can feel that they are stiffer than a lucky schoolboy on a Saturday night.

As for the original question, it's a VERY broad question.  You could do a lot worse than to start your search on the respective manufacturers' web sites.

2) No ordanary bike shop have the equipment to repair these wheels.....upto a a year back only the suppliers had the tools......and it took forever due to the amount of comebacks.....

Huh? Any decent bike shop should have the tools to true the mavics as a standard workshop item! And as far as I know they arnt that hard to get hold of.

I will go for the Mavics....Lighter, stiffer and better looking. But keep rider weight within 85kg's.