Best wheel mechanic in Cape Town, please advise

dylankeyter

Hi Hubbers

I recently had my wheels trued by my LBS and was pretty dismayed as I subsequently needed to do the job myself as they weren't trued properly at all, a waste of my time and money. Generally I do things myself because then I have the peace of mind that the job has been done properly. However, I am not a professional mechanic and would like my set of downhill wheels tensioned optimally as I can feel some spokes are not at the ideal tension. My wheels are in great condition but I am considering running V-brakes so they need to be true. With this in mind, I ask for your advice as to where in Cape Town I should go, I would appreciate any feedback. At this stage I am considering Andrew at Stoke Suspension Works or Kevin at BMC, however I would like to hear your opinions on the matter. Any feedback will be appreciated, I am situated in Claremont, Cape Town, and am looking for a mechanic in the vicinity. I also have a feeling Bike Mob may be a safe bet, but I've never dealt with them.

Thank you in advance

Kevin wasn't at BMC anymore when I popped in last...pity, cause he was pretty good.!

Pretty sure all the other staff are just as good.

Marc Carr, ex Crown Cycles now at Swift always worth approaching.

Opinions differ, but I'm pro mechanic who uses a spoke tension meter.

You guys have been beyond helpful, thanks for all your feedback! I am going to Andrew at Stoke Suspension Works because he did a phenomenal job on my SID too. Will let you know how it goes but I am fully confident in him, especially with the support I've seen here. Thanks again Hubbers, you have made my decision a lot easier.

Kevin wasn't at BMC anymore when I popped in last...pity, cause he was pretty good.!

Pretty sure all the other staff are just as good.

Marc Carr, ex Crown Cycles now at Swift always worth approaching.

Opinions differ, but I'm pro mechanic who uses a spoke tension meter.

If you don't use a tension meter you shouldn't be paid to build wheels.....

All the guys you mention and one more... 

Williams Bike Shop (Somerset West) may be a bit far from you but a wheel building legend! 

Heard amazing things about this guy and keep meaning to head out that way to see what he can do... also really close to a bunny chow place that is supposed to be legendary as well. :)

Hi Hubbers

I recently had my wheels trued by my LBS and was pretty dismayed as I subsequently needed to do the job myself as they weren't trued properly at all, a waste of my time and money. Generally I do things myself because then I have the peace of mind that the job has been done properly. However, I am not a professional mechanic and would like my set of downhill wheels tensioned optimally as I can feel some spokes are not at the ideal tension. My wheels are in great condition but I am considering running V-brakes so they need to be true. With this in mind, I ask for your advice as to where in Cape Town I should go, I would appreciate any feedback. At this stage I am considering Andrew at Stoke Suspension Works or Kevin at BMC, however I would like to hear your opinions on the matter. Any feedback will be appreciated, I am situated in Claremont, Cape Town, and am looking for a mechanic in the vicinity. I also have a feeling Bike Mob may be a safe bet, but I've never dealt with them.

Thank you in advance

Louis Bresler out at Meerendal. Top man with great skills and equally good service.

+27 (72) 2676619

Heard amazing things about this guy and keep meaning to head out that way to see what he can do... also really close to a bunny chow place that is supposed to be legendary as well. :)

I live up in JHB and William as helped me out in jam before, couriering parts that the local agents "didn't have in stock"! 

Total Legend!