International purchase/import - international depot CLOSED?!

mecheng89

Hi Hubbers!

Experience from being an active Hub user has taught me that many of you are doing imports on a regular basis, so perhaps someone can help a brother out (fellow Hubber).

He ordered an item from Canada ey, and he was given a message to say that his package is in this country (arrived on the 8th April), BUT upon going to OR Tambo,  the security (at international depot) told him that they don't allow anyone to go in and collect at the EMS counter anymore. 

There is a poster on the security house's window stating that as of Nov 2016 no collection at the counter.

Supposedly the security phoned inside there, they got back to him saying he must go to his local post office which he did and, no parcel has arrived.

Is he being anxious for no reason, is it still at customs clearance?

Your feedback will be much appreciated! An expensive item being eagerly awaited!

I have parcels cleared customs on the 6 April and online tracking says in transit .... and still not at my local PO yet.

He has no reason to be anxious but needs more patience.

As for not being able to collect in person at Joburg International Mail Centre, is the first have heard of this, so cannot say if is true or not.

What does your online tracking say, put in your international tracking number http://www.parceltrack.co.za/ and will be able to tell you where it is and also when it reaches the local PO.

As for reaching local PO, when online says in transit, recently has been taking a week or more to get to my PO

He will need to wait until he receives a notice to collect the package. In Cape Town, it is either from the local post office or the customs office at Cape Mail. I imagine it will be similar upcountry.

Yip, was closed last year!!

Make sure you have a local tracking number. Sometimes they don't release the parcel until they have received a copy of the original invoice via email.

Try request a local tracking number (include your international tracking number) and send your invoice to: jimccustomerservices@postoffice.co.za

Once I did this, the parcel was sent via EMS courier a few days later.

If nothing else, it keeps you busy while you wait patiently...

My international parcel arrived in JHB on the 1st of April. Its been 12 days and nothing has happened since then.

Called my local post office and they said it can take 3 weeks to come from JHB to CT so expect it to take about 3 weeks.

Edited by Daezara

He will need to wait until he receives a notice to collect the package. In Cape Town, it is either from the local post office or the customs office at Cape Mail. I imagine it will be similar upcountry.

Ditto, I import loads of stuff and their arrival is split into either directly into my postbox for small items, Post Office for larger but inexpensive items and then Cape Mail centre for the more expensive items you need to provide invoices for so they can tax you on it.

In all of these cases, the tracking usually shows the item reaching the Cape Mail hub about a week before they actually send the notice, since they've got a big ol' pile of mail to sort through, open up and check the contents on some to decide the best course of action (for them of course, not the recipient)

Jip,  Received two packages in last week , but also have one that is at processing from the 7th.

But they normally come through, have not yet had a package gone missing. 

Hi Hubbers!

Experience from being an active Hub user has taught me that many of you are doing imports on a regular basis, so perhaps someone can help a brother out (fellow Hubber).

He ordered an item from Canada ey, and he was given a message to say that his package is in this country (arrived on the 8th April), BUT upon going to OR Tambo,  the security (at international depot) told him that they don't allow anyone to go in and collect at the EMS counter anymore. 

There is a poster on the security house's window stating that as of Nov 2016 no collection at the counter.

Supposedly the security phoned inside there, they got back to him saying he must go to his local post office which he did and, no parcel has arrived.

Is he being anxious for no reason, is it still at customs clearance?

Your feedback will be much appreciated! An expensive item being eagerly awaited!

edit: There is a magnifying glass at the top right of the page - it's useful to search for topics that have been discussed before. Probably one of the best tools to use, as you'll probably find a lot more information in hundreds of replies of the same topic. Knowing which keywords to use can help narrow down your search.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

I have parcels cleared customs on the 6 April and online tracking says in transit .... and still not at my local PO yet.

He has no reason to be anxious but needs more patience.

As for not being able to collect in person at Joburg International Mail Centre, is the first have heard of this, so cannot say if is true or not.

What does your online tracking say, put in your international tracking number http://www.parceltrack.co.za/ and will be able to tell you where it is and also when it reaches the local PO.

As for reaching local PO, when online says in transit, recently has been taking a week or more to get to my PO

This is 100% correct -->  He has no reason to be anxious but needs more patience.

Edited by Frosty