[Event] Emperors Palace Classic

News bot

Scotty says he has succesfully done that in the past:

Oh wow. Sorry did not read the whole thread...

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think on-person ID and medical information is way more important than having it on-file somewhere in the system.  :thumbup:

ICE ID on your helmet strap. Medics will probably look around your face/head and remove your helmet first if you out cold.

Sometimes is isn't a medic that arrives on scene first. Hence the EMERGENCY NUMBER printed on the race number - any person can phone the rider's numbers through to the VOC (Venue Operations Centre) which helps prepare the medical team before they get there.

Perhaps you'd like to come work at a race one day, and your perspective of how things happen at an event will change.

The point of that other thread is about collecting the damn piece of paper the day or two before the race, vs having an option to print it (or have a permanent number), which is also being discussed on this event thread.

edit - referenced the wrong thread

Edited by Frosty

Surly you won't get an official time without an entry. I don't think they are that useless.

If they don't have the competence to link databases with entries and self registration, I doubt they have it for this.

I have heard of guys getting RaceTec results without entering, but that is not on. Don't be that guy.

If you are doing the race, pay your entry.

Edited by Patchelicious

Lol, you guys complaining about the entry fee. I've heard about a MTB race down in the Cape. Apparently the entry fee for that is quite Epic...

That's a very different conversation.

If they don't have the competence to link databases with entries and self registration, I doubt they have it for this.

I have heard of guys getting RaceTec results without entering, but that is not on. Don't be that guy.

If you are doing the race, pay your entry.

Gets worse, I know of someone that gave his chip to a rider (A bunch) who fitted it to his shoe while the rider had his own chip fitted on his bike.

Reason ? Simple, to get a good seeding and early start time for 947, beats missing the wind and masses of a late start. 

I know the conversation has kind of drifted to reasons for wearing a race number and also doing the race as a "bandit", but I still think (as others do) that it all comes down to the profit motive....

They "force" us to collect a physical race number at the expo where ASG themselves and a few sponsors can get some airtime from participants.  It is frankly irksome and somewhat cocky for a smaller race to do something like this (the expo is pretty crappy anyway), but the principle remains the same.  947, CTCT, Two Oceans and Comrades all make a song and dance about the expo, but honestly the sponsors pay a major chunk of race costs and they do it for eyeballs. 

Just a few short years ago Comrades had a mail in option.  Good luck getting them to mail you anything now, the sponsors need to see feet moving through that expo.

ASG are a 100% for-profit organisation, despite what happens to the proceeds of this race.  Even though I mostly detest goody bags their position here also pisses me off - some corporate deciding on my behalf to donate to a cause I haven't selected.

Edit: spelling

Edited by thisismyotherbike

Gets worse, I know of someone that gave his chip to a rider (A bunch) who fitted it to his shoe while the rider had his own chip fitted on his bike.

Reason ? Simple, to get a good seeding and early start time for 947, beats missing the wind and masses of a late start.

Shame, what a pathetic loser.

I know the conversation has kind of drifted to reasons for wearing a race number and also doing the race as a "bandit", but I still think (as others do) that it all comes down to the profit motive....

They "force" us to collect a physical race number at the expo where ASG themselves and a few sponsors can get some airtime from participants. It is frankly irksome and somewhat cocky for a smaller race to do something like this (the expo is pretty crappy anyway), but the principle remains the same. 947, CTCT, Two Oceans and Comrades all make a song and dance about the expo, but honestly the sponsors pay a major chunk of race costs and they do it for eyeballs.

Just a few short years ago Comrades had a mail in option. Good luck getting them to mail you anything now, the sponsors need to see feet moving through that expo.

ASG are a 100% for-profit organisation, despite what happens to the proceeds of this race. Even though I mostly detest goody bags their position here also pisses me off - some corporate deciding on my behalf to donate to a cause I haven't selected.

Edit: spelling

Yup.. Like I mentioned.. R4S gives you the option to donate to Retina.. (Which I will gladly do simply because the give the option) ( as with KFC add hope ). Don't tel me its going to charity!!! How much R5? R10?. Let me decide..

Im not too fuzzed about the Goodie bag. Im more fuzzed about the entry cost vs what I get for it.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Yup.. Like I mentioned.. R4S gives you the option to donate to Retina.. (Which I will gladly do simply because the give the option) ( as with KFC add hope ). Don't tel me its going to charity!!! How much R5? R10?. Let me decide..

Im not too fuzzed about the Goodie bag. Im more fuzzed about the entry cost vs what I get for it.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Some races its difficult to detail before hand, some orgs only recover their unavoidable fixed costs (metro, timing, branding), and what ever is left goes to charity, the more that enter the more that goes to charity 

One such event is the Sedhaven in Heidelberg which raises money for Meals on Wheels. Tough enough but a real challenge when the wind blows. Early bird entrants also receive a gift which have been quality T shirts and even wind jackets the past few years. I consider this to be the best value for money local race. 

HOW do you bonk on flat 40km route????

Well, if you are coming in to the finish at the same time as the long distance alphabet soup riders, it means that you have been out there for close on 3 hours or maybe more. So, I would imagine that the distance and the elevation are irrelevant if you have not taken on nutrition, and especially if you are a beginner.