Post "Big Event" blues

NordicElf

I've just completed a rather big event. It was my second year doing it and I've decided not to do it next year. Now I have no mojo... don't feel like training. Or eating healthy. Getting fat and unfit. I have another biggish goal but that isn't helping me to get going.

Anyone else experience this? Any tips to get over it? Advice to get going again?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a big issue, pretty much why I stopped 2 years ago

Book the next one,,,a hard one to do you force to train

My 2c: Don't fight it.  

Sure you can book events to keep up the motivational pressure...or you can allow yourself to rest and remember why you ride. Hopefully its because you think riding your bike is awesome

Try take up another sport? I want to do some boxing when I decide my triathlete activities come to an end. 

you need a bucket list item planned for each year, change it up, even if it is just a fishing trip or something... Thankfully I have enough events lined up for next few years to not be in your situation but I think I will be on anti depressants in days if I had to stop paddling, running, cycling, climbing etc etc etc...

I'm in the same boat...I have decided to focus on some cross training for the next couple of months...I have also just spent some money today converting from 2x11 to 1x11 to try keep things interesting

I had that after running the African X...no mojo. I decided to leave my watch (and Strava) at home last night...told myself Im going for just a short one, though I really was not in the mood. I decided to make it an "outing", spoke to people I passed, took photos of sunset and birds, enjoyed people's braai smells...and before I knew it, I had done my 10km route...and I loved it. So for me, I had to find the fun and the love and the joy of it again. Dont put too much pressure on yourself, maybe arrange a chilled ride with friends, or try a whole new route for a change of scenery...?

It's a thing...

After many years of being 'competitive' and driven I fell horrendously ill and had to miss a race I had my heart set on at the last minute. I spent months 'trying' to find motivation, entered a few tough events and did them at 65% which actually made me even less amped... I have stopped fighting it now.

I am now a little over weight. I run up the mountain more than I ride BUT I enjoy every minute of every ride with my mates.

Stoke, huge smiles and all the right things. I learned I don't have to be faster or go harder or scare myself on every ride. But I do have to enjoy it otherwise one might as well take up pottery or knitting....

Starting using Traininpeaks, seeing that CTL plummet is usually good motivation for me.

This is a good thing....letting CTL drop. Take time out, ride for fun, drink beer, eat ice cream and then build again. 

I so get this feeling recently rand am happy in a way it is an actual thing rather than me just being full of Cr@p and lazy.

Problem is i feel guilty when I had the opportunity to ride and couldn't be bothered . Then feel the need to punish myself on the next ride to make up for it. Which is completely stupid but it happens.

Edit: And I haven't even done a big event . Maybe that's the problem.

Edited by Pikey

I don't see a problem really. What's the main reason for cycling? IMO it's enjoyment; and if that's gone I don't see why you have to cycle.

Sure there's hard work for that race or epic ride, but that still builds up to enjoyment the way I see it.

If its not fun don't do it 

If you riding your bike is only because an event is coming up. Then do something else.

You don't need a reason to ride and if you really do make it : Fun

I've actively been trying force myself to just enjoy my bike and not get caught up in upgrades,training , tinkering ect. ect.

Climb on and ride , why ?   Because you can.

Don't underestimate the stress relief from going around the block with a helmet and your tekke on your spd's , that 5/8min is just awesome because : I'm on my bike !

To be honest I think its good to have time away, be it running, cycling, hiking anything you do repetitively leads to burn out. Anytime you feel guilty about taking a break you are just adding to the stress, let it go, sleep late on weekends, enjoy a few beers with friends, do things you enjoy. 

When I lived in SA I would ride maybe the Argus or any event around that time, then put my bike in a corner and forget about it, I would run, or swim or hike or go to gym or anything I felt like for a few months, as an old man I have learnt a few things and the first is, if you want to do something for 30, 40 or 50 years, you will need breaks, its okay to take breaks, no one gets up everyday and cycles, runs, swims anything continuously for decades,... No One!    

Here I do much the same, come October, its getting cold and I pack my bike away and go run at the indoor track for a while, then maybe I'll go to gym for a bit, then maybe I'll swim, sometimes, I just go ride my motorbike.

My bikes tyres go flat, the light battery runs down, my Garmin goes flat, I dont care, come spring I dig it all out of the cobwebs with energy, I am keen to go out and ride again, at the end of the season I am tired of bikes and I am keen to go run, swim whatever. Variation, its the spice of life.

Time to play... gravity toy and flat pedals is coming out next week...

Can't say I have mastered flats but I will eventually.... just like I will eventually learn to ride a unicycle...

Time to play... gravity toy and flat pedals is coming out next week...

Can't say I have mastered flats but I will eventually.... just like I will eventually learn to ride a unicycle...

This gent is doing it right ^^^

Klapping it at the Epic A few weeks ago and now looks like he'll be on bike with more squish.

Maybe the OP just needs to ad A discipline rather than look into another sport