SRAM Guide RS vs Shimano SLX M7000

Mintman

XT's are the problem yes.

But repairable as are the guides.

What most people don't realise is that brake fluid must be changed within its intervals, I'm guessing around 5-6months.

The primary reason for this build up on the pistons is the fluid turning black and leaving a slight layer of "dirt" on the piston.

Neither SRAM nor Shimano brakes are completely flawless, choose which one you prefer in terms of feel and buy that one, i didn't quite like the feel of the guides, and bought zee's instead.

As someone else has stated you might not be comparing apples with apples though...

All the best with the decision, but wait till the hope and magura fans enter

Sure, I didn't mean to imply they were both in the same price bracket. It was more a case of going with a second hand set of guides or a new SLX set.

And my real concern isn't about which feels or performs better. It's whether the Guide RS issue is something to steer clear of. It doesn't seem to be a big problem tho. So I reckon it's a decent option to consider (if you like the feel of the guides).

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have both Shimano and Guides and the Guides are head and shoulders above them in feel and modulation.

Looking at the Guides....any one had issues with the lever not returning back fully when hot?

Didn't you just get a reign, the deore on there pretty good!

Rode a mates 2016 Camber, actually liked the deore's on there

Didn't you just get a reign, the deore on there pretty good!

Rode a mates 2016 Camber, actually liked the deore's on there

Yip, new Reign came with Shimano Deore BR M615, with 200mm disc upfront...they solid but have not much fine feel and modulation...ON or OFF, not much in between...I'm sure they good but I have a trip to France looming and am worried about overheating...I believe you can use the ICETECH pad set up but will that be enough. These pads damn expensive and if the weather is anything like 2014, then for the price of all the pads you go through in two weeks, you could buy a new set of Guides! Last two seasons, I had Trails aboard and they were fine although did start to get hard on long descents....

This isn't really the tired old debate about which brake is better. I'm trying to get an idea of whether the overheating issue with the Guide RS is something to still be wary of.

From my internet research, I get a lot of people praising the Guide RS as a phenomenal brakeset. But I've also found long threads (even on bikehub) about the brake's internals having to be fixed or simply being replaced by SRAM with no questions asked.

So does anyone know if this is still a big issue worth considering? Would the SLX be more reliable?

Thanks! 

Hi,

I'm a big guy at 95kg.

My bike had XTR 9000 (with Freezer rotor etc) and over heated on long downhills... Even with 180 rear rotor.

Changed to Guide brakes and never looked. Very happy.

I'm told its something to do with the oil. Shimano oil not as good as SRAM oil. Not sure why, but for me the proof is in the breaking.

Maybe those "problems" were from version one brakes?

Mine are perfect and over a year old now (including a Epic)

Hope that helps.

Edited by MarcL

Hi,

I'm a big guy at 95kg.

My bike had XTR 9000 (with Freezer rotor etc) and over heated on long downhills... Even with 180 rear rotor.

I'm told its something to do with the oil. Shimano oil not as good as SRAM oil. Not sure why, but for me the proof is in the breaking.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Marc, that does really help. The Internet is a blessing and a curse. Researching potential bike parts is a bit like looking up physical symptoms. Before you know it your headache is actually a brain tumor and you have approximately 24 hours to live.

Very simple things get over complicated.

Had SLX for 3 years now and not one issue,been bled 3 times due to changing frames and it's been fine.The Guide RS should not be compared to the Slx but The XT brakes,if you want to compare SLX then it should be to the Guide R

The XT and SLX are basically the same brakeset. The XT has adjustment for lever reach and the brake pad pin is threaded as opposed to just a splitpin jobbie. Internals are identical, same performance.

I have Guides, best modulation I have felt before. No issues with mine either but havent had them too long.

Hi,

I'm a big guy at 95kg.

Hope that helps.

Probs because shimano use mineral oil and sram use dot fluid <- which has A very high boiling point 

Yip, new Reign came with Shimano Deore BR M615, with 200mm disc upfront...they solid but have not much fine feel and modulation...ON or OFF, not much in between...I'm sure they good but I have a trip to France looming and am worried about overheating...I believe you can use the ICETECH pad set up but will that be enough. These pads damn expensive and if the weather is anything like 2014, then for the price of all the pads you go through in two weeks, you could buy a new set of Guides! Last two seasons, I had Trails aboard and they were fine although did start to get hard on long descents....

Replace the fluid with with Castrol SRF... you can Google It's wet boiling point compared to other brake fluids - think I did post a list here somewhere once before.

This is a dot 3+ Race brake fluid - not compatible with mineral oil systems, and NOT cheap - but doesn't give high temp issues anywhere near regular brake fluid.

I used to bleed my race car brakes before every track outing (complete bleed using race fuids ) then swapped to SRF... now bleed once a year...

Replace the fluid with with Castrol SRF... you can Google It's wet boiling point compared to other brake fluids - think I did post a list here somewhere once before.

This is a dot 3+ Race brake fluid - not compatible with mineral oil systems, and NOT cheap - but doesn't give high temp issues anywhere near regular brake fluid.

I used to bleed my race car brakes before every track outing (complete bleed using race fuids ) then swapped to SRF... now bleed once a year...

no issues with rubber o-rings and seals?

Hold on, so are the new SLX an issue? I was about to upgrade to the new SLX groupo with brakes.

I've got the previous SLX set and they have been across 3 different bikes and been faultless. Think I've only bled them once in 3 years or so to be honest and they haven't missed a beat.

Hold on, so are the new SLX an issue? I was about to upgrade to the new SLX groupo with brakes.

I've got the previous SLX set and they have been across 3 different bikes and been faultless. Think I've only bled them once in 3 years or so to be honest and they haven't missed a beat.

Good question. Also wondered about the M7000. From what I read there was an issue with the XT M8000, which was then fixed by the time M7000 SLX was released. Something like that. Still interested if anyone has something to add on that.