bikes of the epic..treadmag data

Shebeen

some interesting figures here.

http://www.treadmtb.co.za/bikes-of-the-2017-absa-cape-epic-all-the-stats/

quite interesting to see that in 2008, the first year of data that GIANT were the biggest brand, but have seen that slide big time (they had 24% of ZA riders then, now just 4%). Spaz have taken the lionshare of this, but along with merida. they're the only brand to actually drop. Santa Cruz, are in the same stable and have increased quite a chunk too.

A total of 89% say their bike cost more than R50 000. This is up from 80% in 2016 and 59% in 2015. And of 44% say their bike cost them more than R100 000, up from 24% in 2016.

The average bike value at the 2017 Cape Epic was R95 661-70. No, that’s not an error! Ninety-five thousand six hundred and sixty one Rand and seventy cents on average per bike.

Very interesting stats - especially to see the increases annually since 2014 and how those aren't linked to exchange rates. Looks like it has become a competition to own the best bike rather than being based on any kind of logical buying decision.

The average bike value at the 2017 Cape Epic was R95 661-70

So what would that make the average cost for the race if that's an average bike? Entry, mechanical package, massages, transport, clothing & extras etc. That is a serious investment and I can't believe that there are so many people who can afford to do it year after year and sacrifice the time from work for the training.