Ironman 2018 - PE

clivem

I have the Fenix 3 too, that'll be much easier! I'll read up about syncing that guy too.

I really like using the Wattbike app on my phone, and my watch to send HR to the app. The app has laps and lap averages, which is very helpful when training sessions have intervals. How I do it:

• Select power and cadence meters on the watch (they pop up automatically when in range). 
  • Start Indoor Cycle on watch to .start HR monitor. The bike won't pick up your HR/watch if you have not done this.  
  • Link HR monitor on the bike (can't remember exact steps, but it's easy enough to find). 
  • Start the Wattbike app on my phone. Select Bike on the Wattbike app. Press play button and the bike will start. 

If you use the app, you will get an emailed link to a web report of your session. The web report has lap data in it, which can be useful. 

Edited by EmJayZA

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First entry fee price increase is this weekend! I'm still scared to hit the register button.. 

First entry fee price increase is this weekend! I'm still scared to hit the register button.. 

You know you want to , so "Just do It"  :whistling:

Like ripping off a band aid; just do it

How much does it go up to?

How much does it go up to?

Tier 1: R 5 950 (3 April 2017 - 4 November 2017)

Tier 2: R 6 525 (5 November 2017 - 7 March 2018)

Tier 3: R 7 500 (8 March 2018 - 1 April 2018)

So I'm thinking of getting new wheels,

and research led me to this article http://flocycling.blogspot.co.za/2014/01/flo-cycling-great-debate-aero-vs-weight.html

now while that is all great it doesn't account for PE conditions.

So what should I be looking at in regards to deep sections?

50/50, 60/60, 60/90 or 90/90?

Full disc is out the question, does anyone use wheel covers?

My main concern is if its windy on the day, at what profile does the aerodynamics get negated by the cross wind?

All probably noob questions i'm sure but hey, that's how one learns. :whistling:

Interesting article. 

I normally ride 80/80, but took my old cosmic front wheel to PE - I think its about 40mm(?)

I panicked on the day (despite the perfect weather conditions) and rode the 40/80 anyway.

I've been pushed around on training rides by the 80 front in the wind, and the extra couple mins I'd save on aero is not worth the extra stress of keeping it pointing straight for 6 hours.

I run 50/88 normally, which is what I used in PE but take a 38mm with just in case the wind is blowing hard

I run 50/88 normally, which is what I used in PE but take a 38mm with just in case the wind is blowing hard

is that a pair of 38mm or just front?

For the experienced guys on TP

post-46817-0-74534900-1509544513_thumb.jpg

I'm battling to find the search button to get the terminology , but what does it mean in the Main Set by

1. decreasing time
  2. 4 x 300 (10")  
  3. Kick 300 steady - is this with a kickboard
  4. 6 x 50 (15")

Sorry to date my swim training has only been freestyle laps.

is that a pair of 38mm or just front?

That is correct.  Even with a strong wind the rear 80/88/disc is not affected much by the wind as it is fixed in the frame and cannot turn from side to side and you also have the majority of the rider mass and frame over the rear.

In windy conditions the front wheel can get caught by the wind and as not fixed can become very unstable.  Hence why you reduce the rim depth of the front wheel to negate getting caught by the wind

Edited by shaper

For the experienced guys on TP

attachicon.gifTP.jpg

I'm battling to find the search button to get the terminology , but what does it mean in the Main Set by

1. decreasing time
  2. 4 x 300 (10")  
  3. Kick 300 steady - is this with a kickboard
  4. 6 x 50 (15")

Sorry to date my swim training has only been freestyle laps.

After your warm up (WU) you will do 4 sets of 300m with 10s rest between the sets.  Decreasing time is that if you do the first set in 7mins, the second set in say 6:50mins, 3rd in 6:40mins and 4th in 6:30min (for example with a decreasing time and swimming faster, times indicated just for example)

Kick 300 is with kickboard

then 6 sets of 50m relaxed pace with 15s rest between sets

Finally your cool down (CD)

Ride a disc! I race all my tri's on the disc. Even hilly courses. 

Try buy wheels with wider rims. Makes it way more comfortable and there are lots of studies saying there are benefits e.g. rolling resistance etc

Just pulled the trigger and entered my first full IM!  Tried to check Windguru already, but no forecast available yet  :w00t:  :D

I want to go ride a loop of the bike course in December.  Is that road ok to ride without closure etc?