Ironman 2018 - PE

clivem

Thanks for all the support guys.  A great race with some ups and downs on the day, but all in all a great day out, and a tough day.... Congrats and respect to all who took part and finished, especially all the first timers!!

Will give a full race report in the next day or two when am back in JHB and fully recovered !!

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well well well. A sub 14 which was totally not expected as I was still recovering from flu but all in all a good day out.

What a way to end your full IM journey though. Great effort ICM. From your splits, you were consistent. Maybe running less works better for you?  :lol:

Well done everyone. Some impressive results. 

Edited by EmJayZA

My little ironman story:

Was riding my bike on seaview road last week when my tyre blew. I only got the bike that day and so was just having a short test ride - so I did not have a phone or spare tube or anything. So I started pushing my bike home. After a short while a lovely young lady passed me on her bike with her husband in the car behind. they stopped and tried a to fit one of their tubes onto my bike and then lent me their phone and were really nice helpful people. I asked if she was training for the ironman and she said she was. I thought nothing of it until I watched her come in second yesterday. What a cool surprise

Well done everybody! It is an amazing accomplishment - just to pitch on the start-line takes a lot! 

So cool to catch this all on the Telly... thank you Supersport!

Well done to everyone on here, I will be looking for lots of advice for next year - it's been on my list for ages, and now is the time. I run, I cycle, I swim (well I play waterpolo at least) - so it's just the 'small' matter of packing them all together, refining things a bit and then doing the training. Looking forward to it.

So awesome for SA to get the win! Kudos to Kyle Buckingham - it's been a while since the Tissink era.

Lucy Charles is an absolute animal - she made that look so easy. And she's seriously cute as well...

Ben Hoffman deserves so much respect for yesterday, I was so so sure he had bailed - and 99% of pro's would have too in my experience. Course record holder, winner the last two years, comes off the bike in 5th, clearly couldn't run at all though due to complications from a crash at Epic, so he walked the entire marathon route and finished late in the night...
Shows the respect he has for that medal and was an amazing tribute to the soldiers at the back of the event who toil away all day to make these events the incredible experience they are.

When do entries open? 

Only minor bitch - every time someone I know was about to cross the finish line it would cut away to some other action or an ad break, was uber frustrating.

So cool to catch this all on the Telly... thank you Supersport!

Well done to everyone on here, I will be looking for lots of advice for next year - it's been on my list for ages, and now is the time. I run, I cycle, I swim (well I play waterpolo at least) - so it's just the 'small' matter of packing them all together, refining things a bit and then doing the training. Looking forward to it.

So awesome for SA to get the win! Kudos to Kyle Buckingham - it's been a while since the Tissink era.

Lucy Charles is an absolute animal - she made that look so easy. And she's seriously cute as well...

Ben Hoffman deserves so much respect for yesterday, I was so so sure he had bailed - and 99% of pro's would have too in my experience. Course record holder, winner the last two years, comes off the bike in 5th, clearly couldn't run at all though due to complications from a crash at Epic, so he walked the entire marathon route and finished late in the night...

Shows the respect he has for that medal and was an amazing tribute to the soldiers at the back of the event who toil away all day to make these events the incredible experience they are.

When do entries open?

Only minor bitch - every time someone I know was about to cross the finish line it would cut away to some other action or an ad break, was uber frustrating.

Wow. I thought I sawBen on the run an then thought naaaa it can’t be him cos he would of finished hours ago.

As you say, kudos to the man. That’s fantastic.

The finish of Ben Hoffman was the kind of stuff that legends are made of. I was totally blown over when I saw him cross the line last night around 18:35, many hours after we saw him having to start to walk because of the Epic injury.

Our friend did her first IM.

Been a 2 year training programme ....

Completed it in 12:33.

VERY happy for her !!!!!!

Absolute RESPECT to each and every participant !!  And to the families that support them to get them there ....

Wow. I thought I sawBen on the run an then thought naaaa it can’t be him cos he would of finished hours ago.

As you say, kudos to the man. That’s fantastic.

And then he cheers on some of the Pro's while he is limping home. This is so inspirational. The same thing that Frodeno did in Hawaii. This is pure class! A couple of years ago when Jeannie Seymour was still in SA she stopped and offered me a tube when I flatted in the Cradle. There are some class acts in the Pro field and that's what makes this sport so great  

Congratulations to all the Hubbers that tackled it... huge RESPECT to each and every one of you :thumbup: :clap:

I spent almost the entire day on the couch watching the event except for an hour when I stuck in a 10km jog due to inspiration overload :wacko: Brilliant coverage by Supersport right up to the cutoff at midnight.

I'm committed to 2019, no more putting off doing this event, the bucket list tick needs to happen. I can't swim to save my life and can only just manage 10 laps in a pool before resting but that will just have to change. If anyone can recommend a swim coach in the Northern 'burbs of CT then drop me a message please :thumbup:

Congratulations to all the Hubbers that tackled it... huge RESPECT to each and every one of you :thumbup: :clap:

I spent almost the entire day on the couch watching the event except for an hour when I stuck in a 10km jog due to inspiration overload :wacko: Brilliant coverage by Supersport right up to the cutoff at midnight.

I'm committed to 2019, no more putting off doing this event, the bucket list tick needs to happen. I can't swim to save my life and can only just manage 10 laps in a pool before resting but that will just have to change. If anyone can recommend a swim coach in the Northern 'burbs of CT then drop me a message please :thumbup:

I have heard about a masters class at Fairmont High School, maybe search for it on google.

I have heard about a masters class at Fairmont High School, maybe search for it on google.

You just have to get through the swim, in the highlights on DSTV Catchup they show the last athlete finishing the swim and he did it just under the 2h20 (I think) cut off time and it looks like he was breastroking/paddling and he still finished it. Just think you learn a new skill and see it as that don't fret about IM, in a years time you will be fine. See you on the beach in 2019! 

You just have to get through the swim, in the highlights on DSTV Catchup they show the last athlete finishing the swim and he did it just under the 2h20 (I think) cut off time and it looks like he was breastroking/paddling and he still finished it. Just think you learn a new skill and see it as that don't fret about IM, in a years time you will be fine. See you on the beach in 2019! 

Thanks, that's very much the approach I'm taking with the swimming. I've had a few scares with swimming in the past so I have a mental block I need to work through but I'm determined to beat this.

I'm trying to teach myself the Total Immersion technique at the moment but will get into a coaching course as soon as I can find one locally  :thumbup:

Edited by Buff_SA