Ironman 2018 - PE

clivem

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello All...

Back at work today, and must say, what an INCREDIBLE experience.

The day is super long and there is so much time for stuff to go wrong, but in the same light, enough time to get yourself going again...

I had a goal of 11h30min in the week leading up. This was my first full so knew it would be quite a push.

The swim went ok with a time of 1h15min. Didn't feel great as halfway started feeling sick with a little bit of chop in the water. Coached myself through it and just kept calm. A little slower than I expected but 5min was not going to ruin my day

Jumped on the bike and felt as fresh as ever. Had a good ride for the first 90, and then started to hurt a little in the neck and could feel the legs burning up. I managed to keep it going though and got to the turnaround point with 45km back.

Flip the headwind was pumping crazy on the home leg and it was a real push to get the speed up. Legs were getting tired with each pedal stroke.

Ended up with a 6h05min bike, which in hindsight was not too bad considering the headwind

Then, the long marathon.

I had a preset-plan going into the run and needed to stay in a specific zone. First 20km I felt incredible and possible the best run I have ever had off the bike. I could take in the whole vibe and crazy atmosphere.

I started getting hungry and didn't have a FarBar with me.

I thought I'd have a quarter sarmie on the course (even though our coach advised me not to) just to keep my stomach full...

1km further and BOOM, dead, flat and couldn't even walk properly. I spent about an hour walking, sitting and laying on the ground. Even thinking of pulling out as I was dizzy. I starting vomiting and on the second set, the bread came out.

I started taking on coke to get the calories in and in about 10min I was ready and fighting again. I started running again and felt like nothing was ever wrong

With an hour lost I wasn't too happy but realized that I will actually finish the race and be able to tick off this major achievement.

I soldiered on, having the crowd and my support team pull me through

When I went over that line... INCREDIBLE to know that you have just put your body through a 226km journey.

I immediately said I will never be back, but as I sit here with a sore body, I feel that there is some unfinished business waiting for me in PE.

Ended up with a total time of 12h35min.

WHAT A RACE!!!

What a day! And lessons were learned...

Got a 1h20 PB on the swim - couldn't have asked for calmer waters. But then the bike started...and the realistation that I sacrificed too much bike time for 2 Oceans training and recovery. Just couldn't put the power down what I trained at in February first week in March. At km60 my hip flexors got so angry and my right knee started giving me problems. Really took alot to go on at the turn around when I saw that there is no way in hell that I will be getting my 13h30 target - and that the run will be real hard. Let's not talk about the headwind from km 135  :eek:

Finished the bike leg in 7h05, 30min slower than aimed for. Gutted and the right knee VERY sore.

The run was not the marathon I was hoping for. Running till it hurts to much, walking it off, repeat. Pretty much Comrades finisher pace just to get the pain over with. So the marathon completed in 5h44, not happy. This was the first year that I actually got good milage (maybe too much, considering 2 Oceans) in for the marathon and it didn't help at all. Lesson learnt.

Final time 14h37. At least the medal is big and shiny  :w00t:

Well done to everyone finishing. I will surely be back in 2 years time for No4!

Ended up with a total time of 12h35min.

WHAT A RACE!!!

Well done! I think that is even a better victory than missing your target time. Still a blistering time, and you pushed through a hectic wall. That takes a huge amount of grit. 

I watched the whole 17hours on TV. Watching those final guys coming in made me realize that the time you finish in is irrelevant. That guy that finished with 3 minutes to spare is my hero. He ran 20 odd km barefoot with his shoes tucked in his shorts, but he just never quit.

Thanks, that's very much the approach I'm taking with the swimming. I've had a few scares with swimming in the past so I have a mental block I need to work through but I'm determined to beat this.

I'm trying to teach myself the Total Immersion technique at the moment but will get into a coaching course as soon as I can find one locally  :thumbup:

I was on a surfski doing water safety for all the Ironman events this year, and can only say that they guys and gals that struggled were those that had not yet spent a few hours in the ocean prior to their swims.  Simple things such as the sudden temperature change when hitting the sea, which would either caused breathlessness or goggles to fog up or be lost in the first wave, causing a number of competitors to panic.

Another trick we saw paying off was to swim wide of the turn buoys, this places one out of the traffic and minimizes the chance of being hit or kicked.  It may add a few meters, but paid off as these guys could keep their tempo up and stay focused. 

Remember there are a number of swim groups leading up to the event from Hobie beach, so if one can head down a day or two earlier and get settled in the ocean.  So you will always have company - also just shout as our surfski group as well as a SUP group, are  always on standby to accompany guys during training.  We have also had whales and large pods of dolphins accompany swimmers this month so and added bonus. 

Was also fortunate to lead the first elite male and then last man back in - what a difference 5.5km/h ave versus a 2-3km/h ave - huge respect as he had only learnt to swim two years ago.

Huge respect to anyone that finishes this challenge!!

Edited by Bikeguy

Cycling major brought up the hunger issue which I also suffered from, damn by the time the marmite sarmies came out I was starvIng and had 4 quarters right off the bat and and another 2 quarters on the return loop. Then a potato or 2 as well. Never been that hungry at IM before. I think it’s cos I burnt a lot of matches on the last bike leg. Funny how you get spurts of energy, overtake loads of ppl then the energy disappears and they over take you. The last leg I stopped about 5 times to regroup a bit. I did eat as I went along on 5e bike but obviously not enough.

As for the coke, I always tell myself save the coke for the last 10 km but as usual the lure of the sugar is strong. Must of had 3 liters of coke on the marathon, 2 cups in the last food station and a tin there. Coke is a miracle drink when you out there in negative calorie territory.

Well done all, I always say the training is the tough part of IM but I think I lied, the event itself was pretty tough this year too.

I was on a surfski doing water safety for all the Ironman events this year, and can only say that they guys and gals that struggled were those that had not yet spent a few hours in the ocean prior to their swims.  Simple things such as the sudden temperature change when hitting the sea, which would either caused breathlessness or goggles to fog up or be lost in the first wave, causing a number of competitors to panic.

Another trick we saw paying off was to swim wide of the turn buoys, this places one out of the traffic and minimizes the chance of being hit or kicked.  It may add a few meters, but paid off as these guys could keep their tempo up and stay focused. 

Remember there are a number of swim groups leading up to the event from Hobie beach, so if one can head down a day or two earlier and get settled in the ocean.  So you will always have company - also just shout as our surfski group as well as a SUP group, are  always on standby to accompany guys during training.  We have also had whales and large pods of dolphins accompany swimmers this month so and added bonus. 

Was also fortunate to lead the first elite male and then last man back in - what a difference 5.5km/h ave versus a 2-3km/h ave - huge respect as he had only learnt to swim two years ago.

Huge respect to anyone the finishes this challenge!!

Thanks to you and alll the volunteers without whom this would not be possible. Becomes an even longer day for them. Always smiling and willing.

Thank you

Huge respect to anyone the finishes this challenge!!

Is it legal for swimmers to hang onto a surf ski or a buoy when panicking?

Just off the topic...a little lol

I take Jungle Lite bars during my cycle and runs. So on the bike on Sunday, I felt nauseous...  Eating the bars didn't help, water felt like it was stuck on my throat. Thought it was just me not riding enough, see water etc. etc. Than after the race, I took my Spur burger and within 4 bites my throat was swollen and sore and nauseous again.

Thinking it might be sesame seed allergy, as it happened at breakfast again and there was a sesame bun somewhere on the plate as well.

Has this happened to anyone else? 

I watched the whole 17hours on TV. Watching those final guys coming in made me realize that the time you finish in is irrelevant. That guy that finished with 3 minutes to spare is my hero. He ran 20 odd km barefoot with his shoes tucked in his shorts, but he just never quit.

My hotel was across the road from the end, plan was to shower and then head back but I made the error of switching on the tv and there was the live stream so ended up watching on tv. That poor lass that missed it by seconds. She was running so strong at the end I guess she will ask herself what if...also they were giving medals to all but some may have missed the 16:45 time limit but then. Not sure how they figure that all out,

Great coverage thoug, well done to IM and Supersport.

Just off the topic...a little lol

I take Jungle Lite bars during my cycle and runs. So on the bike on Sunday, I felt nauseous...  Eating the bars didn't help, water felt like it was stuck on my throat. Thought it was just me not riding enough, see water etc. etc. Than after the race, I took my Spur burger and within 4 bites my throat was swollen and sore and nauseous again.

Thinking it might be sesame seed allergy, as it happened at breakfast again and there was a sesame bun somewhere on the plate as well.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I tend to get a sore throat during endurance events from breathing too much through my mouth. Happens pretty much every year at IM and becomes difficult to swallow, just part of the day.

Preface to race

For those that do not know me am a 52 year old wannabe... wannabe good at what I do, whether in business or racing. Gone are the day’s of just pitching at a race, doing the race and going home happy. For me it is about WHAT IF, what if I push that little bit hard, what if I achieve that goal and how to go about achieving that goal or milestone. It is about spinning the roulette wheel, betting everything on red and going for broke.... you get beyond that what if, which will lead me to new what if’s... or I go home broken, with new questions and answers to work on on how to get that goal next time.

To this end all my triathlon races are now battles... battles between me and the course and I tackle those battles with almost military precision. Training and post race analysis are when I strategise and take on the battle of getting the goals or beyond the what if’s. I use current online software such as Trainingpeaks, I also use Golden Cheetah extensively and my own spreadsheet analysis of past races, calories burnt and nutrition taken as well as a whole load of other metric have found useful. When if comes to data am like a kid in a candy shop. Some say am a bit OCD when it come to my self coaching.... but it works for me and enjoy it :)

The goal as I stated earlier in the week before the race was first to finish, then to beat my 2017 time and anything else was a bonus. Being such a long day where many things can go wrong with you or your equipment, nothing is a given.... it can become a very humbling race.

Secretly there were other goals which were shooting for the stars, being could I plan and execute for a sub 11hr Ironman and if I did would it be enough to get a slot for the World Chanps 2018 also in PE later in the year. Both fairly likely to fail but are there as my BIG WHAT IF’S :)

So analysis from my 11:52hr IMSA 2017 race was the starting point for my preparations for the 2018 race last Sunday.

If I broke it down into disciplines, am an ok swimmer and whilst I get stronger my times don’t get dramatically faster, the aim for 2018 was to be faster than 2017 but I knew there would be not a lot of time gained there.

My transitions in 2017 was a total on 17 minutes. I have no idea why I took so long, but there is definitely time to be gained there.

I poured over the data from my cycle leg in 2017 and with a time of 6:07hrs there was plenty of improvement to be made in this area. For those that train and race with a power meter, analysis of my race in 2017 gave me an intensity factor (IF) of 0.58, well below what one should be aiming for in a full Ironman. Joe Friel (the guru on most of this stuff) writes that typically a bike leg is raced in the range 0.65 – 0.75. Age-groupers are typically in the range 0.6 – 0.7 with the pro’s closer to 0.75. This in itself showed that I took it too easy on the bike leg in 2017 and I could make up a lot of time by pushing harder!!

For the run leg, it is an area I have focused on a lot since 2017 in my taining and I knew that I could do better than the 4hrs.

So in a nutshell, if I could gain time on the swim (4-5mins), half the transition time (10mins), race harder on the bike leg (25-30mins), run faster (20mins)... then if all went as planned shaving 52 minutes of my 2017 race time was achievable.... on paper at least !!

A man with a plan can and I had a plan!!

Race build up

Training I have no complaints about, I put in the time and focused on the areas I knew where I could gain most time. I lost a week with the stomach virus in Feb which knocked the traineing, but it happens, you deal with it and move on and my fitness and form numbers (CTL, ATL and TSB) were much better than 2017 and my running much stronger. With experience for 2017 and knowledge of what was to come... I was feeling relaxed and in a good place

Then WHAM... on the Wednesday before the race, I started to to get hot flushes and knew that it felt like flu. Firstly I decided to forget doing any further taper training prior to the race (just rest) and made a b-line straight to my Doctor who confirmed I had a viral infection with flu symptoms and started a 2 day course of antibiotics to stop on race day and continue after racing.

Immediately shooting for the stars got put on the back burner and the race focus became on finishing and maybe doing better than 2017. It happens, move on with a different focus.... there is always the next race!

RACE DAY !!

Swim

Irrespective of who you are or how many times you have done a full Ironman, you line up on that beach nervous and with anticipation and a little excitement. Fear, trepidation and anxiety are all around, small talk is made with mates or fellow competitors, The cannon goes and the pro’s are off. Your heart starts pounding a little harder and the shuffle begins towards the start gates. Eventually you are there in front of the volunteers arms and the beep countdown begins. Their arms drop, you start your garmin and are jogging to the water, the first buoy came quickly, the water was beautifully calm on Sunday and the swimming felt easy, a left turn and you are into the long outward leg to the next red buoy. I managed to do a lot of drafting on this leg and at the next turn left I had covered 2100m in 40mins which was much faster than anticipated. It was feeling good and confident of beating my 2017 time, the short leg to the next left turn buoy came quickly and you are now into the home stretch, over half way. The inward leg there was a bit of chop and I found it difficult to draft and seemed to loose form with my stroke. I spent most of this leg trying to focus on rhythm as well as fixing a few leaks with my goggles. A quick right turn at the fourth buoy and head for the beach. Total swim time 1:21hrs (5 mins faster than 2017).... game on was the sub 11hrs possible?

Transitions

Since 2017 I have moved to using proper tri-shoes and cycle without socks. Whilst on a 70.3 I would have the shoes on the bike and do a flying start the distance from change to bike at IMSA is quite a way so decided to put the cycle shoes on at change area but save time on not having to put socks on wet feet.

On the return to T2 I would leave the shoes on the bike and run barefoot, quickly put socks on and run shoes. This methodology worked to a degree and I got my T1 and T2 time down from 17mins to 10mins... however was not banking on the asphalt being so rough running barefoot through T2... more on that on the run!

We still on target for a sub 11.....

Cycle

Have reviewed my time and pace of 2017 I knew what pacing I needed to do for an intensity factor of 0.7 and pre race analysis showed if I could do such pacing I could do the cycle leg in 5:45hrs (a full 22mins faster than 2017). From watching all the weather forecasts I knew that the outward legs would be generally a tail wind with a head wind on the way back. As each day passed closer to race day the wind was dropping, so maybe the headwind would not be such a factor. Irrespective of wind conditions the plan was to make hay while the sun shines and push hard on the outward legs and fight as best into the headwind on the way back. So with that plan I was into the cycle leg, feeling comfortable and the aim was to make the turn-around point at 45kms with an average speed of 32.5kms/hr. I turned in 34.5km/hr average speed. (I was up on my mini battle and still feeling good). As predicted the headwind hit and it was head down and pushing, my goal aiming to tun at 90km in 2:45hrs which would give me 3hrs for the next 90km. I turned in 2:53hrs, so knew the headwind was stronger than expected and that the final return leg of the cycle would be a right battle. At 135km turn around my average speed was now 32.5km/hr so was happy I could still achieve the 5:45hrs cycle.... The headwind was much stronger and could feel the speed dropping. 5:45hrs came and went and eventually got off the bike in a time of 5:52hrs (IF = 0.665). So is the the best I could have done with the wind conditions and left nothing on the course.

Run

My running has been strong and an area have been focusing on. A lot of my 2hr Tempo runs have been around the 5:03m/km pace and have been comfortable with 21kms around the 1:50hr and 32kms in under 3hrs so knew I had the fitness and pace to push on the run.... now was the time for a WHAT IF?? My goal was a 3:40-3:45hr run leg and I settled into a comfortable 5:15mins/km pace. 10Kms passed by quickly (54mins) although the soles of my feet were feeling a little tender from running barefoot on the rough asphalt in T2. The aim was to stick at this pace until 21kms (which passed in 1:54hrs) then assess and see whether I could push for a negative split time for the final 21km. I was tired but feeling good, the sun was still high in the sky and I was able to watch the pro’s run and pass Ben Hoffman and give him some thanks and encouragement for continuing his long walk. My time through 21kms was good and a 3:45hr or better was still on the cards.

THEN IT HAPPENED, 15kms into the run I feel a right calf strain/pull, not acute but a dull pain. I instantly drop my pace to around the 5:30mins/km and run on for the next 5kms assessing the situation and feel no further pain except for a dull pain which I started to ignore and focus on other things. With previous injuries such as ITB’s I have been able to manage the running by shortening my stride and increasing cadence so it almost feels like a fast shuffle. Which is what I did and increase my cadence from high 170’s to low 183-185’s which helped to pick my pace up again.

At 28kms the pain in the calf became more intense, the pace dropped and I knew it would be manage the pain as best to the finish, my cadence went from the low 180’s to the low 170’s, time wise I was still pushing on well but watched with each km the pace dropping.

At that point I said good bye to the sub 11hrs and changed the goals to how close to sub 11 I could get as I already knew that I would be beating my 2017 time..... There would becoming new WHAT IF's to tackle post race.

The km’s clicked on the sun was setting as it has set on on my lofty sub 11hr pipe dream (to be fought another day), and the crowds became much more of a focus to enjoy the time with them as they support me and us undertaking this race on the run leg. For those who have never done this race, the crowd is fantastic.

At the top of the last hill on Admiralty Way, there is roughly 39.5kms done ..... I gave myself the easy jog back down the hill and would sprint the last 3kms on adrenaline and knowing the finish was coming, ignoring the calf strain and that the massage afterwards and days of recovery to come would have to deal with the consequences. As I hit the turn on to Marine Drive, the afterburners came on, the legs stretched out, the stride and pace increased and the sprint was on, ignoring the crowds which had moved into the road making it almost tunnel vision and weaving my way through the slower athletes... desperately seeking the arch for the turn in and the final run on the red carpet. In 2017 this sprint finish was somewhat of a blur, Sunday it was clear and focused and as I turned onto the red carpet, I could see the crowd and my time on the finish arch at the other end of the carpet . The usual waves, a few high fives were give and a thumbs up to Paul saying “You are and Ironman” and I am across the line, smiling for the cameras and stopping my garmin. I managed a 3:54hr run even with the calf strain and am happy to improved my overall time from 2017 by 34mins

My full race time 11hrs 18mins 25secs.

Post Race Note

The calf strain survived although am hobbling and the physio students do a great job in the massage tent, with a couple of days rest all should be good..... I have a 21km to run on Sunday ;)

Cherry on the top

All the hard work, time and effort and pushing beyond the WHAT IF’s paid off as I will be back in PE in September to compete in the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS 70.3 as I made it and got a qualifying spot...... HAPPINESS is and understatement !!!

post-33015-0-20445600-1523954822_thumb.jpg

To all those who competed and finished well done... it is a lifetime of memories and experiences!!

Edited by shaper