Ironman 2018 - PE

clivem

Is it legal for swimmers to hang onto a surf ski or a buoy when panicking?

Depends on the level of panic - most guys we could talk down and let them rest while floating on their backs - wetsuit buoyancy is key here.  Once recovered we encourage them to swim 10 freestyle / tarzan strokes and 10 breaststroke or just focus on swimming from one can to the next.  We were team of 12 surski paddlers, 5 SUPs and about 40 lifeguards on malibu boards - all wet and miserable feeling the pain with you (sensing the pain).  There are also jetskis and rescue rubber ducks etc.  So no chance of getting lost (happens with fogged up goggles) or disorientated.  

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent the rest of the evening post race waiting for my mate who had a terrible race.  He had very low sodium levels and ended up in the medical tent post race.. spent a long time there on a drip.  Happy to say he is recovered.

I was still there at 12pm when the Pro's were back to say congrats the last up the carpet and there were only 18 athletes still out on course when we finally left

Chapeau and I tip my hat off to those that fight their own battles to enjoy that red carpet run!!.... They are the true hero's of the day!!

First Ironman finish for me.

Six weeks ago I was sitting in hospital getting ready for surgery thinking my race was already over after a bad ear infection that wouldn't clear.

Took 3 weeks before I got the all clear from the doctors to start training again. Amazing how quickly one can loose fitness.

Seeing that everything was paid for, I was going to go to PE as a spectator. Was convinced by my Tri Club to at least attempt it as I had the base training.

After a long and hard day I reached the red carpet in 16:31. Position 1703/1710 and one of the last ppl to cross the line.

A far cry from initial target of 14:30.

Anything is possible...

Edited by memakda

After a long and hard day later I reached the red carpet in 16:31.

A far cry from initial target of 14:30. Position 1703/1710

well done on finishing!

Depends on the level of panic - most guys we could talk down and let them rest while floating on their backs - wetsuit buoyancy is key here.  Once recovered we encourage them to swim 10 freestyle / tarzan strokes and 10 breaststroke or just focus on swimming from one can to the next.  We were team of 12 surski paddlers, 5 SUPs and about 40 lifeguards on malibu boards - all wet and miserable feeling the pain with you (sensing the pain).  There are also jetskis and rescue rubber ducks etc.  So no chance of getting lost (happens with fogged up goggles) or disorientated.  

Thanks for the awesome work you guys do!

Cherry on the top

All the hard work, time and effort and pushing beyond the WHAT IF’s paid off as I will be back in PE in September to compete in the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS 70.3 as I made it and got a qualifying spot...... HAPPINESS is and understatement !!!

This is the best! Well done Shaper!

To all those who competed and finished well done... it is a lifetime of memories and experiences!!

Amazing, well done.

Edited by HDW

My race:

It really was a beautiful morning weather wise, I enjoyed the swim once I found my rhythm, especially the return leg back towards the pier. Although I think I swallowed a lot of water and air, because it came back to haunt me on the first bike loop. I couldn’t really get any food or drink down for the first 90km because of crazy stomach cramps. I had a ‘catastrophic’ session with a porta-loo (apologies..) at half way which really did the trick.

Second loop was a flyer! 5 km’s from the end had my first bike accident! Yay  :mellow:  Someone came steaming past me and then sat up, so I went to re-pass him on the right. At the same time he kept drifting over towards the middle of the road. By the time I was coming past it was too late, we clipped handlebars, much swerving, he stayed up, I went over the top.

Luckily no serious damage was done, plenty cuts and grazes all over, face took a nice scrape which was pretty worrying when I initially got up and saw blood dripping. A few minutes after taking stock of myself a marshal arrived (I must say they were truly outstanding this weekend I think), straightened out my bike which was in one piece (albeit skew) and we rode into transition. Medic tent cleaned me up, and pulled out a million safety pins to stitch up my trisuit which the zipper had popped off of. Looked like some sort of BDSM outfit. :ph34r: 

First 10km’s of the run was a dream, I felt really good. After 14km’s though I was hunched over in the bushes. Stomach as it often does, was tapping out. The next 30 odd km’s was just a dazed dehydrated battle. Run, shuffle, walk, sit, whatever was necessary to get to the end without food or drink staying down. It really was one of the toughest things I’ve had to get through, it just seemed I couldn’t catch a break. If it wasn’t for my beautiful wife running up and down the whole day supporting me who knows what would have happened.

Live and learn they say, what doesn’t kill you blah blah. Well this sure was a learning curve. Perhaps though… its time to take stock of my training and future ambitions. It would be great to enjoy a race at some point!

My times: swim 1:23 (7 mins better than 2017), bike 6:17 (20 mins faster than 2017 incl a fall!), run 5:52 (48 mins slower.. :thumbdown: ), 23 ish mins spent in transition incl a vist to medical, total time 13:54 (25 mins worse)

Well done to everyone who attacked this race! Finish or not.

Should have enough Gels for the ride!!!

Then he/she will probably be wondering why they got stomach cramps on the run, haha.

Is it legal for swimmers to hang onto a surf ski or a buoy when panicking?

It is Legal as long as the surf-ski is not moving forward.

Shaper, well done on the slot. While I recognize that I do not have that inner drive or physique to earn a slot I mightily respect those that go for it whether achieved or not.

Well done to all that started,just starting is the victory as sacrifices an commitment are huge.

To memakda, kudos, that’s a hellova long day an I was applauding all the guys an gals as I lay on my bed watching them come in. Willing them on.

My race:

It really was a beautiful morning weather wise, I enjoyed the swim once I found my rhythm, especially the return leg back towards the pier. Although I think I swallowed a lot of water and air, because it came back to haunt me on the first bike loop. I couldn’t really get any food or drink down for the first 90km because of crazy stomach cramps. I had a ‘catastrophic’ session with a porta-loo (apologies..) at half way which really did the trick.

Second loop was a flyer! 5 km’s from the end had my first bike accident! Yay  :mellow:  Someone came steaming past me and then sat up, so I went to re-pass him on the right. At the same time he kept drifting over towards the middle of the road. By the time I was coming past it was too late, we clipped handlebars, much swerving, he stayed up, I went over the top.

Luckily no serious damage was done, plenty cuts and grazes all over, face took a nice scrape which was pretty worrying when I initially got up and saw blood dripping. A few minutes after taking stock of myself a marshal arrived (I must say they were truly outstanding this weekend I think), straightened out my bike which was in one piece (albeit skew) and we rode into transition. Medic tent cleaned me up, and pulled out a million safety pins to stitch up my trisuit which the zipper had popped off of. Looked like some sort of BDSM outfit. :ph34r: 

First 10km’s of the run was a dream, I felt really good. After 14km’s though I was hunched over in the bushes. Stomach as it often does, was tapping out. The next 30 odd km’s was just a dazed dehydrated battle. Run, shuffle, walk, sit, whatever was necessary to get to the end without food or drink staying down. It really was one of the toughest things I’ve had to get through, it just seemed I couldn’t catch a break. If it wasn’t for my beautiful wife running up and down the whole day supporting me who knows what would have happened.

Live and learn they say, what doesn’t kill you blah blah. Well this sure was a learning curve. Perhaps though… its time to take stock of my training and future ambitions. It would be great to enjoy a race at some point!

My times: swim 1:23 (7 mins better than 2017), bike 6:17 (20 mins faster than 2017 incl a fall!), run 5:52 (48 mins slower.. :thumbdown: ), 23 ish mins spent in transition incl a vist to medical, total time 13:54 (25 mins worse)

Well done to everyone who attacked this race! Finish or not.

Were you in News Cafe at the Boardwalk late lunchtime on Monday? Saw someone in there all strapped up from a bike crash.

Hope the recovery goes well