Warranty Frame Replacement Complication

Pall Catt

The frame is a definite upgrade so I would suggest to take the bit of pain and get the hub changed or even better get a new set of wheels and use this as your excuse!

^^^^ this completely

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But you would still have been happy if they were pink Shimano hubs, right?

do they make you happy because they are pink?

See well now you have opened up the proverbial can of worms... They DO make me happy because they are pink (my whole bike is black and pink) however, I had always wanted a set of Kings. 

So the quality, ease of service and reliability I get combined with the fact that they are a dazzlingly (now discontinued) pink made them a no brainer.

Having good brakes and quality wheels can pretty much make any bike feel good to ride.

Hubland,

Opinions please.

I had a 2014 Silverback Sola 1 MTB, discovered a crack in the frame recently, and Silverback have agreed to replace it (just the frame) under warranty. This is all very good.

The issue is that the 2017 Silverback Sola 1 frame has a through-axle configuration at the rear, which is now incompatible with my existing rear wheel. I've been told the wheel hub needs to be replaced. I know you get conversion kits but the bike shop has suggested that this is not possible in this case (for reasons beyond my limited understanding of bicycle anatomy). So it seems the only option is to replace the hub.

I'm in two minds about this. Is it fair that I now have to do this at my expense or should I be insisting that Silverback find a solution to this?

Take your bike to Anton (Summit Cycles in Midrand).

He's an excellent wheel builder, a Silverback dealer and his prices for a wheel rebuild are fantastic. You wont regret it!

He will sort you out

I just replaced my wheels and I have a 142X12 Shimano SLX hub laced with Mavic rim. Hub is ok, might need a service, but if it gets you through to when you want a lekker set of wheels make me an offer.

I have to aggree with Jewbacca though, there is nothing like a new quality set of wheels.

Thanks Dave,

Sorry I'm not too sure about all the technical aspects of this hub but your description as 142x12 seems to meet half of the requirements I was told to look for. The others being that it must be a 32 hole hub with centre lock brake rotors. Do you know if your hub meets these requirements?

Not to hijack your thread Paul Catt. I have a similar compatibility issue.

I have a Scott 940 with QR Shimano hubs

I'm thinking of buying a Spark 920 Frame with a thru axle at the back.

I was told you can't convert from QR to Thru axle but the other way around.

Seems like I may have to go the same route like you, build another rear wheel with a new hub.

A 2017 frame for a 2014 frame?   That's worth shelling out for a rear hub + rebuild in my books.

as above

This is a classic example of how the cycle industry screws their customers over and how their customers have become complacent and are accepting this.

A warranty promises a buyer that their product is free from material defect for a period of time. Now that their product has failed, they replace it with something you cannot use without you having to spend thousands of Rands. Why must you spend more money because their product has not met the quality standard that they said it had when you bought it?

Don't be fooled into believing that they are upgrading you. I cannot see how a different paint scheme and a different way of attaching a wheel to the frame is an upgrade. If they gave you a carbon frame, then yes, that is an upgrade.

I would argue this with Silverback. They have one of the best reputations as far as warranties are concerned and I'm sure they will do the right thing and make things right.

Bicycles have become rediculously expensive and it's time for the industry to start offering proper warranties to their customers that are shelling out big bucks for their products.

Edited by Eugene

This is a classic example of how the cycle industry screws their customers over and how their customers have become complacent and are accepting this.

A warranty promises a buyer that their product is free from material defect for a period of time. Now that their product has failed, they replace it with something you cannot use without you having to spend thousands of Rands. Why must you spend more money because their product has not met the quality standard that they said it had when you bought it?

Don't be fooled into believing that they are upgrading you. I cannot see how a different paint scheme and a different way of attaching a wheel to the frame is an upgrade. If they gave you a carbon frame, then yes, that is an upgrade.

I would argue this with Silverback. They have one of the best reputations as far as warranties are concerned and I'm sure they will do the right thing and make things right.

Bicycles have become rediculously expensive and it's time for the industry to start offering proper warranties to their customers that are shelling out big bucks for their products.

I understand you are demanding a) that frame manufacturers should be forced to ensure that all new frames are to be indefinately backwardly compatible even at the expense of innovation; and b) that this is to be guaranteed by limitless warranties.

Do you have an ecomomic model that will fund this internally ? Alternatively how much more are you prepared to pay for this guarantee ?

I understand you are demanding a) that frame manufacturers should be forced to ensure that all new frames are to be indefinately backwardly compatible even at the expense of innovation; and b) that this is to be guaranteed by limitless warranties.

Do you have an ecomomic model that will fund this internally ? Alternatively how much more are you prepared to pay for this guarantee ?

No they don't have to be backward compatible, they must just ensure they keep a couple of frames over the 3 year warranty period or cough up the related costs if they don't keep stock.

What limitless warranties are you referring to? I don't know of a single manufacturer with a limitless warranty. Even those with lifetime warranties aren't limitless. They are mostly 3 years. I don't think it is unreasonable for a manufacturer to keep stock of a handful of frames for 3 years after they change the design to service their paying customer.

What is the failure rate of frames. I cannot see it being that much. I very much doubt they need huge warehouses of frames. Probably two or three of each size.

Economic model? I don't have one, but it shouldn't be too difficult to work out. Calculate your failure rate percentage. Apply this percentage to total frame purchase costs. Add other costs, such as build, postage, storage etc. this gives you total cost to the manufacturer of failures. Then factor this cost into the selling price of each bike. Believe me, this has already been done and we already pay for it.

It just blows my mind that people pay big money for a bike with a warranty and when it fails are happy to pay in more money to get their bike running again.

or the initial buying price of the bike would be astronomical

Yeah, they've had this covered for ages already.

Sent from an android enabled tikkie box