Cleaning DUST of a bike ....

ChrisF

Cleaning a bike after a dry run on a gravel trail is quick and easy ....

Today I am confronted with a new beast - we went away for the weekend, and on the return trip did more than 100km of dirt roads .... both bikes have a proper layer of dust on it !!  FINE dust ....

FRAME - I dont like using water (hose pipe) unless absolutely required ...  Using a wet rag might not be a good idea due to the quantity of dust - may just become a rubbing compound on the rag .....  I am considering dusting it off with a brush (large paint brush), to get rid of the excess dust, then a rag to clean it.

DRIVE TRAIN - now this is what got me to post here (after a quick search - so please guide me if this has been covered before) .... how to clean this fine dust of the:

- rear cluster ...

- front chain ring ...

- the chain ....

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The hose pipe will actually be the best, and there's not much danger in it.

Its best to avoid high pressure washers, those are the bastards that clean out grease in bearings and ruin a bike. But since your bike will be able to handle rain, it'll handle a normal garden hose.

Its also the least abrasive and least effort solution too.

For dust I use a spray bottle (takes about a litre of water). Chain cleaner with some clean green. Then rinse with spray bottle and clean damp cloth.

I have the Chris Willemse branded one, works well, you possibly get better ones but CWC one works well for me.

FRAME - I dont like using water (hose pipe) unless absolutely required ... ....

Water/hose pipe is always the easiest and most sufficient, but remember the OP is from the Western Cape with huge water shortage currently.

Water/hose pipe is always the easiest and most sufficient, but remember the OP is from the Western Cape with huge water shortage currently.

I would have thought a quick spray with a hose then a spray bottle would be less water than a bucket and sponge etc.

Take prepsol and use a paint brush to apply it to the chain, cluster and chainring. Let it soak in and then rinse it off. Should be blinging clean after that. Applying it with a paint brush lets you keep it away from the BB and other bearings

I would have thought a quick spray with a hose then a spray bottle would be less water than a bucket and sponge etc.

I have a rain water tank and a water pump ... so I can wash it down with the "hose pipe"  :)  (even posted the non-potable water signs ..)

Edited by ChrisF

Take prepsol and use a paint brush to apply it to the chain, cluster and chainring. Let it soak in and then rinse it off. Should be blinging clean after that. Applying it with a paint brush lets you keep it away from the BB and other bearings

Thanks - I remember that guys used that on the off-road motorcycles

We had a nice trip this weekend, and passed many of the dams in the Western Cape ... :eek:   :eek:  :wacko:

We are much worse off than the mainstream media is publishing !!!!!!

Outside Bonnivale a farmer has invested a not so small fortune in a new fruit plantation, complete with irrigation .... trees are looking good, but his dams are now EMPTY, not a drop of water left for those small trees ..... not sure how long those trees can survive the hot spell we have been having.

Mcgregor has a little bit of water left for the town, most of the farm dams are already empty ..... This farm dam has some water left in it - the photo does not show just how low the water level is !!

post-110956-0-52475500-1493005423_thumb.jpg

Most dams look like this -

post-110956-0-19781800-1493005531_thumb.jpg

The authorities must be hoping for early rains .... or we may be in for some really serious water restrictions .....