Please help my gears are driving me crazy

MichaelSA

I have a SC Tallboy with Sram XX (yes 2x10), on Easton EA90s. My bike ghost shifts in the middle gears, refusing to settle when shifted. It also jumps when the suspension actuates. I've had it at a couple of bike shops (in 3 provinces!), and it's never a permanent fix. I've replaced the cassette, same issue. If I look down it seems that there may be a wobble in the cassette. Is that a bent rear what-what?

What could it be? It's a great bike, I've had it since new for quite a few years, haven't ridden it much, but I'm ready to set fire to it and just go back to riding my 2 stroke.

Please help me.

Cable housing may be too tight so that when the suspension moves it shifts pulling the inner with it and creating the ghost shifting

Hi, firstly if the cassette looks 'wobbly' this would indicate a bent free-hub or a loose cassette. I would suggest to remove the rear wheel, check if the cassette lock sprocket is tight, then spin the cassette to check that the hub is true.

For rear derraileur set-up there 4 main aspects: bottom set-screw, top set-screw, B-tension screw & cable tension. If the chain is reaching the bottom and top sprockets without jumping into the frame/wheel the set-screws are probably correct.

If you do not have sufficient cable tension, the shifting will be erratic and slow. The problem could also be that the outer housing is not long enough to cater for the movement if the swing-arm and that is why suspension movement could be affecting inner cable tension and derraileur movement.

I would suggest doing an internet / you-tube search on rear derraileur set-up - it's very easy even for the mechanically challenged! Good luck!

What wheels and freehub do you have. My wufe has mavic wheels and the whole greehub body was worn. Creating a wobble of the cassette. Was the source of very weird noises and stange shifting

Check your derailleur hanger, preferably just replace it.  It may cost you less to replace than to book your bike in for a check.  Derailleur hangers are designed to bend or break in the event of excessive forces on the rear mech.

I doutb a bent hanger would cause these issues.

I'd guess one or conbination of the issues listed before:

Worn/damaged freebody

Loose cassette

Cable housing too short, or cable routing incorrect, leading to changes in cable tension as the suspension cycles

1.) Check housing length. (and condition of cables)

2.) Investigate cause for "wobble" in freehub body

3.) Ensure rear derailleur is securely fastened to derailleur hanger, and derailleur hanger is securely fastened to frame.

I doutb a bent hanger would cause these issues.

I'd guess one or conbination of the issues listed before:

Worn/damaged freebody

Loose cassette

Cable housing too short, or cable routing incorrect, leading to changes in cable tension as the suspension cycles

I had the exact same issue about 2 years ago. Checked everything, and in the end it was a bent hanger which caused my issues. Popped on a new one and everything was smooth again.

The OP's issue sounds more like a worn freehub body/hub bearings. If the cassette wobbles around there is now way to predict what the chain will do...

Something else you can check is a wobbly derailleur jockey wheel. This was causing me a problem the other day in gear shifting on its own, everything else was fine. Replaced the top jockey wheel and everything was 100's again.

Thank you very much guys. I think it may be the Easton freehub, that took a shot. I'm going to pop on another set of wheels and see what the effect is. I'll also check the cables as suggested, and the derailleur hanger, much appreciated!

Also check the cables. Popular bike shop near me had a mechanic who used to manage to kink new cables. This causes the cable to stick in the housing.

Assuming nothing obvious causing the problem my action sequence would be :-

1) Check chain and rear triangle play

2) Check gear setting

4) Replace cables and housing

5) Derailleur hanger alignment

6) Check wheel hub,free hub and cassette

7) Service RD arm pivot springs and bolts

For those that may be interested - I put in a new wheel today, and no issues of any kind. So I'll start with the freehub and axle.

That sounds like a plan...

Glad you know what the problem is