Tshwane Classic

Vetplant

At the start line of Emperors the MC mentioned that the Tshwane Classic would be taking place on the weekend of 4/5 November this year.

Unconfirmed at this stage I guess because I can't find a single mention of it anywhere on the interwebs...

I am really hoping for a big event being hosted in my "dorp", feels like all the cycling events are always a bit of a drive to get to.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever I hear something about a race in Pta I imagine racing down Atterbury past Menlyn and those hills in Rigel. Can only be fun :drool:

Whenever I hear something about a race in Pta I imagine racing down Atterbury past Menlyn and those hills in Rigel. Can only be fun :drool:

Gonna start and finish at Voortrekker Monument as far as I understand. Many nice places within a 100km loop:

Suggested route markers:

Voortrekker Monument

Fort Klapperkop

Rigel Ave

Lois Ave

Solomon Mahlangu DR

Tom Jenkins Drive

Union Building

With a murderous climb back up to the Voortrekker Monument for the finish.

Could be a couple of climbs involved when you think about it...

Gonna start and finish at Voortrekker Monument as far as I understand. Many nice places within a 100km loop:

snip snip

Don't know if you did the Nelson Mandela race a few years ago? That was proper tough, 67km and included Klapperkop, Telkom Tower and back of Voortrekker. But that sounds like a list of proper cimbs to do there on your list.

Suggested route markers:

Voortrekker Monument

Fort Klapperkop

Rigel Ave

Lois Ave

Solomon Mahlangu DR

Tom Jenkins Drive

Union Building

With a murderous climb back up to the Voortrekker Monument for the finish.

That's perfect roads for training but there's no way they'll include even half of those in a race, it will be a complete traffic mess all over.  We can only hope they include the final Voortrekker climb with an out and back somewhere on that abandoned N4 towards Harties.  Even Klapperkop with the 15+ speed humps will be a wheel breaking bunny hop disaster.  As it being the organizers that I think it might be, don't get your hopes up.

Don't know if you did the Nelson Mandela race a few years ago? That was proper tough, 67km and included Klapperkop, Telkom Tower and back of Voortrekker. But that sounds like a list of proper cimbs to do there on your list.

That was actually  a very good route.  a Bit of a challange with the traffic control but for a first time it was actually very nice.  Add a little out and back on the M4 (Old Toll road and you have a kickass route)

Old Johnnie mentioned it would be 140km and have full road closure. 

Then again, old Johnnie also said there were 8000 road entries for Emperors...

In his shpiel he did say start and finish would be Voortrekker Monument.

(Edit: to add the start and finish bit...)

Edited by hilton_

Won't this maybe be a revival of the race (Capital Classic) that they had from Supersport Park to Krugersdorp on the highway about 2 years ago?.  It's been a while since I last drove it, but most of the roadworks / resurfacing has been finished.

That was actually  a very good route.  a Bit of a challange with the traffic control but for a first time it was actually very nice.  Add a little out and back on the M4 (Old Toll road and you have a kickass route)

It was pretty good hey. IIRC the guys from Advendurance organised it.

Other thing, if you take out one of the large roads (Lynnwood, Garsfontein, Atterbury) it is still pretty much possible to get around Pretoria with the N1 connecting all of the above. So don't think it is entirely impossible adding that to the route.

But ja, not getting much hopes up.

Would love a proper race in our dorp. You can do a very a nice scenic and tough race in Pta on the roads mentioned above.

The speed humps in Klapperkop is far to few to be a problem, but that "bees hekke" might be a concern. I'm sure they can be covered with something. 

I believe one of the reasons the Capitol Classic wasn't repeated was the route. The N14 out and back is 1) boring and 2) unsafe.

There is another race in Krugersdorp that also uses a section of the N14 and people also complained about the safety on that section. 

Isn't the weekend of the 4/5 November when the Carnival City would be?

I think one of the main reasons that there isn't a proper race in Pta is the lack of a suitable venue in terms of capacity and entry/ exit points.

Maybe use Loftus.....they aren't using it for (proper) rugby anyway. :whistling:  

From what was announced yesterday, it's definitely starting/ending at Voortrekker. 

National Classic is on 28/29 October (MTB/road).

From what was announced yesterday, it's definitely starting/ending at Voortrekker. 

National Classic is on 28/29 October (MTB/road).

Finishing with a climb, awesome :clap: