Another penniless newbie begging for advice

mayhkaos

Hi Guys!

My wife and an old friend have recently hornswoggled me into getting on a bike for the first time in 15 years by entering me in the Jacaranda Off the Beaten Track race.

To see if I could still sit a saddle we borrowed an old 21 speed Nishiki and went for the 17km MTB trail at Red Barn in Centurion.

At 15.7km I promptly came off and tore a nice gash in my forearm.

Some twisted handle bars and a short ER trip later I was in such a good mood you'd swear I'd won something. The race came and went and long story short (well, not that short) I'm looking to buy a Mountain Bike.

Money is tight (true story), but I've managed to find a few that could meet my needs nicely, and was wondering if any of you might have any opinions regarding them:

I'm about 1.8m tall and weigh around 90kg, so a Large frame should suit me well (I think). 

If you have any views on any of the above bikes I'd really appreciate your input.

Bud, for R5k you can't go wrong

@King_Crispy - thanks!

"Hornswoggled"?

You are going to fit in just fine around here.

@Joe Low *blush*

Damn, my enthusiasm must be showing.

Hi there, I would suggest you go to your lbs (local bike shop) and get measured for the right size frame rather than going on a "i think" guestimate, could be a costly mistake.

Components can be upgraded as you go so dont be too hung up about those but having said that, you will get better bang for your buck buying second hand.

This mtb is a game of entrapment as once you in, you in and will be bitten viciously by this drug and no matter what you buy, you will want to upgrade, buy more even if you don't need the parts but its only bad when you start hidding purchases from the wife...lol...I've digreseď some what here.

Remember there is still apparel to buy like shorts, shirts, shoes, helmet (hope ive spelled that right or else im in trouble)...etc.

Thise options are a good start but be warned, you will upgrade very soon so might be worth throwing a bit more money at the dilemma...lol

Welcome back on two wheels.

Mid last year I borrowed a friends old Hypermarket special ... just to see .....

Some truly nice bikes out there now !!!!

Titan - some decent value for money options

Silverback also nice.

Merida covers a very wide range, from budget to full pro.

And yes - do speak to your local bike shop.  Many bike shops do trade ins when people buy more expensive models .... some really nice second hand models available.  I used one such model for the first 6 months, traded it in when I was ready to get something better.

Welcome both the titans i see are mediums. Make sure of frame size NB

At 1,8m the frame size will be a Large in many makes, but it may also be a medium in others ....

Best to "test-fit" to make SURE you get the correct one.

Thanks for all the input guys! I am planning on doing a 'test fit as ChrisF suggests and will indeed visit my lbs first chance I get.

The last 2 bikes I rode were both Mediums and I could feel my lower back strain by the 15km mark, so I'm paying special attention to framesizes

Just found a Silverback Sola 4 (2016) with a Large frame in my area for R7500.

I can now confirm I need a Large and looking at the specs I don't think I could hope for anything better, especially since the deal includes cleats, a helmet and an extra gel seat.

Does anyone have any experience with the Sola 4?

Edited by mayhkaos

Silverbacks are known for their bang-for-buck bikes when compared to similarly priced bikes in that they are spec'd with better components.

You cannot go wrong with the Sola 4. It is the starter bike of many happy mountain bikers. ;)

Even better that this deal comes with extra goodies which you would essentially need anyway, as long as the seat is not one of those sofa like seats  :whistling:  :w00t: ...too much padding is not necessarily a good thing.

If it comes with a proper tubeless setup and tubeless tyres then even more of a bonus  :thumbup: