Beware: Event 'Stickers' Damage Frames

seahorse

Just completed the ASG / Liberty Winelands event at which self-adhesive PVC stage profiles were issued.

The stickers proved so tough, and yes sticky, that portion of my Scotts carbon fibre top-coat peeled off the frame along with the sticker when I removed it. (Spark Carbon Pro 2012)

Evidently the stickers arefar more 'aggressive' than any other stage race decal I have used which have generally been low-tack and easy to remove.

Damn I'm annoyed.

Has anyone else had similar experience?

Thats why you put down some insulation tape and then stick on you race number

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

^^This.

Even those cheap "paper" stickers they provided for big races like Argus left a sticky residue on the frame. I used to put them on my stem and after countless washing there was still nasty marks. Insulation tape FTW.

Apparently the epic stickers also have a very strong adhesive.

At one of the Spur Schools races I saw a youngster on a Yeti with 4 different years worth of Epic stickers on the top tube. All still in prestine condition whereas the frame was not.

Obviously a hand-me-down from her dad.

Stick them to a piece of masking tape, cut the edges and stick that to the frame /stem. Much easier to peel off afterwards without leaving any sticky residue. 

Hi,

Often if you use a hair dryer on the sticker it comes off very easily. But the insulation tape 'trick" is perfect.

Sarge

Apparently the epic stickers also have a very strong adhesive.

Isn't the idea to leave it one forever after the race though :w00t:  :w00t:  :devil:

Stick them to a piece of masking tape, cut the edges and stick that to the frame /stem. Much easier to peel off afterwards without leaving any sticky residue. 

I use the blue painters tape.Seems to handle water better than masking tape.

After you have removed the sticker, apply some peanut butter and leave on for about 5 hours. Take a wet cloth and wipe off, this has worked for me in the past. 

To remove this kind of stickers: Aplly liberal dose of DOOM. Wait a few minutes, wipe top/paper section of sticker off with a soft cloth.

Spray some more DOOM on glue, wait a few minutes.

Wipe glue residue off with said soft cloth.

Rinse and repeat if necessary, until frame is free of any glue residue.

Edited by Wannabe

To remove this kind of stickers: Aplly liberal dose of DOOM. Wait a few minutes, wipe top/paper section of sticker off with a soft cloth.

Spray some more DOOM on glue, wait a few minutes.

Wipe glue residue off with said soft cloth.

Rinse and repeat if necessary, until frame is free of any glue residue.

FWIW it works with tar as well.