[Event] Cullinan 2 Tonteldoos MTB Ultra

Eveza

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And? Did you go do some scouting Warthog?

Yep, we did. Had a lekker weekend. Rode the 70km Crossing Boundaries MTB event on Saturday, took it really easy.

Sunday we jumped on the C2T route about 75km from end (Tonteldoos).

Road condition is really not bad - it's gravel district roads. On some of the real steep ups and downs the gravel is loose, and they've had some rain - so there are some deepish ruts here and there.

(The downhill going into Stoffberg at about 220km is awesome, but luckily I won't be doing that in darkness...)

Out of Stoffberg is long drags. Korfnek Pass is really steep, and rough, and the lots of gravel and (smaller) boulders makes it difficult, but both my mates rode it out. (I didn't finish Korfnek - I specifically wanted to check that last part of the route to find out if my legs on my gear ratio would be able to do it... and nope, me on 1x10 with 34 front and 11-36 back am not going to cook it...)

Instead of turning left to Tonteldoos at the T after Korfnek, we turned right and rode to Dullstroom - which was much tougher that the ride from the T to Tonteldoos -  I have ridden that road before, and there is a last short but sharp sting in the tail just after the T on the way to Tonteldoos, but thereafter it's fairly easy.

All in all - 77km - 1275m climbing.

Pump, and I mean, PUMP, and bring your climbing legs...

Just before we reached Korfnek, 3 cyclists came from the front. We stopped and chatted - and met the owner of the C2T race, Rob (I think/hope it's Rob - I was bleeding bit through my eyes there) and Johan, the only bloke who finished the very first C2T. Was really awesome to chat to them - they left Cullinan on Thursday, rode the route to Tonteldoos, and were on their way back again on Sunday.

(Edit: Spelling)

Edited by Warthog

Now.................if a second C2T over two days can happen for the true weekend riders (not the weekend warriors). That way the real beauty of the route can be appreciated in daylight.

• 2 weeks later...

392.7km for last week.

Did 104km and a 178km with 2100m.

Realised how easy it is to get totally bored. Actually got bored before I got tired.

Nutrition was tested. Seems ok. May need one tweek in the food department and one tweek in the fluid department.

Excited!

Did TransDrak as dry run. Partner had a mushroom cloud just before top of Bezuidenhouts pass. Need to keep him in check at C2T. Looking forward.

392.7km for last week.

Did 104km and a 178km with 2100m.

Realised how easy it is to get totally bored. Actually got bored before I got tired.

Nutrition was tested. Seems ok. May need one tweek in the food department and one tweek in the fluid department.

Excited!

I did 180km (three loops of Breedtsnek from the Total) on saturday and I must be honest I was completely wasted by the time I was done. Getting a bit worried as TD is 80kms further than that.....

Instead of turning left to Tonteldoos at the T after Korfnek, we turned right and rode to Dullstroom - which was much tougher that the ride from the T to Tonteldoos -  I have ridden that road before, and there is a last short but sharp sting in the tail just after the T on the way to Tonteldoos, but thereafter it's fairly easy.

This year the finishing venue is different to the previous years, its a little further and a little higher and so there is now one more sting in the tail. From the old finishing venue at 1812m altitude, there is now a further 6 km which gradually descends to 1737m before then kicking up over the last climb which climbs to 1846m (so 109m in 1.5km) before then easily rolling into the finish. The infamous Korfnek by comparison climbs 140m over 1.8km so this one is not too far from another one of those.

319km for the week. I wanted to do a 100km on Saturday but rain interrupted ride so did 14km and a 90min ride on a WB.

Did the 100km ride yesterday.

Just two more weeks to go. Actually more like 1.5.

This year the finishing venue is different to the previous years, its a little further and a little higher and so there is now one more sting in the tail. From the old finishing venue at 1812m altitude, there is now a further 6 km which gradually descends to 1737m before then kicking up over the last climb which climbs to 1846m (so 109m in 1.5km) before then easily rolling into the finish. The infamous Korfnek by comparison climbs 140m over 1.8km so this one is not too far from another one of those.

So apparently this last climb broke a few spirits?

Last climb ruined it for me. Carrying the bike uphill through ankle deep mud after riding over graspolle wasn’t necessary. Clearly someone wasn’t thinking.