Xiaomi AMAZFIT Smart Watch

jock_the_GIANT

Has anyone ever seen / heard / used or have an Xiaomi AMAZFIT Smart Watch 

Any opinions would be appreciated. I would love to buy a Garmin Fenix 3 or 5 - But they are just something I cannot afford. 

That's why I am look at alternative watches

https://goo.gl/T8pJ36 -- here is a link to the details of the watch.

TIA

Edited by jock_the_GIANT

Xiaomi generally makes decent devices, I see this one can sync with strava too although its been quite hit and miss according to some research I did.

The watch has built in GPS and HR which is a plus, just doesnt mention if it runs on android wear or some proprietary OS.

That should work out to about R1800 VAT included, but excluding any additional import tax (if applicable)? The Tomtom Runner 2 Cardio was on special a few days ago on Takealot for about R1990, though it doesn't have the music feature or notifications of this Xiaomi (the one with both music and cardio is more expensive).

It looks quite nice. If it can indeed sync to Strava (reliably), it could be a very good buy. If you don't use Vitality.

Not sure about that claimed battery life though, when using GPS... the Bryton cycling computers claim roughly the same battery life, but are significantly chunkier.

If it's anything like their phones, it should be awesome. We have 5 Xiaomi phones in our family. AFAIK they are opening stores in ZA this year. Distributed by Core Group.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone ever seen / heard / used or have an Xiaomi AMAZFIT Smart Watch 

Any opinions would be appreciated. I would love to buy a Garmin Fenix 3 or 5 - But they are just something I cannot afford. 

That's why I am look at alternative watches

https://goo.gl/T8pJ36 -- here is a link to the details of the watch.

TIA

Did you end up buying this and if so, what do you think?

• 1 month later...

Been using the Amazfit Pace for 4months now, for trail running mostly. Very happy!! Will take it over a Garmin / Suunto any day.

Been using the Amazfit Pace for 4months now, for trail running mostly. Very happy!! Will take it over a Garmin / Suunto any day.

Sure?!

• 1 month later...

Sure?!

For that price, YES!! Granted they're still fine tuning some of the software niggles and the updates are on a 3 month roll-out. But for me it's all I need. I don't need every feature under the sun. All I want to know is how fast I'm going, how far, my HR(it's 50/50 like most optocal sensors btw) and the time, the rest is bonus. They've since added navigation to the watch so it's pretty nifty. Plus, the battery life is insane! You can import it for under R2k.

Did you end up buying this and if so, what do you think?

Nope, got an entry for the Sani2C and all my spare cash is going that way. Will check next year again, but looking at an second hand Suunto, as they are in the same price rage, and don't have to wait about 2-3 months for it.

The Garmins really are fantastic - I used insurance money and a little bit of self delusion to get the Forerunner 935 and the more I use it in conjunction with the connect phone app the more I love it. 

The geeky aspect of fitness is quite an important part of my motivation I think -- I just love to see my progress in numbers. And the HRV meaurement is fantastic - 

Just save up and buy a Garmin, new or used.

Iv'e just purchased a used Garmin 920XT, a very capable older generation watch at a bargain price on the hub.....

• 9 months later...

Does anyone know if this connects with heart rate chest straps? Looking to get one for my wife who uses a Wahoo tickr X (bluetooth 4.0 and ANT+)

• 1 month later...

I use one.

Daily, and specially for rides. Best part of I can activate cycling tracking on it and leave my phone safely in the car.

Syncs with Strava without hassle. Works with Android 9. Has all the features I could want from a watch. Battery lasts about a week on average.

All the stats it tracks seem quite accurate. The watch is also constantly getting updates. Plus it's comfortable and is a good quality build.

First time i saw this product now as I know Xiaomi make good phones.

Great prices. 

Then I go read reviews. Note to self, stop reading reviews!!

Such a mixed bag of results it seems.

It's either the best buy ever or a complete hit and miss it seems.

Now I'm confused.

Are there any local dealers in SA to send it to if anything does go wrong?