Stripping a frame back to Alu' - what's involved?

T-Bob

I've just got hold of a secondhand frame and it's got  powder coated finish that has rubbed and worn off in a few places. It's livable with but I've always wanted a raw aluminum frame and thought this could be a good opportunity to strip it back. 

Does anyone has experience of the process I need to go through, what to watch out for and what I need to do to (if anything) to protect it afterwards. 

My bother-in-law runs a sandblasting / powder coating business so I've got access to the man power. He's stripped and coated some bikes before but not a dual sus'. So if there is anything that could cause damaged please share! :)

Yeah it's either soda/glass blasting, basically anything with a softer media as sand, if left on an area for too long can put children through the Alu.

Or, you can chemically strip with aircraft paint stripper.

I would go the blasting route, as the chemical strip seems messy, labor intensive, and painful. Blasting will probably cost less too anyway.

I did an aluminium frame with water paper.

Finished it with cardboard and brasso. Sanding it with the cardboard over and over again.

Took ages.

But.... the result was beautiful.

Mega satisfaction.

I did my ss a couple of years ago. Just used paint stripper (like a lot of it!) and scraped off the last little bits/used the high pressure hose. Turned out pretty cool.

I did my ss a couple of years ago. Just used paint stripper (like a lot of it!) and scraped off the last little bits/used the high pressure hose. Turned out pretty cool.

Ja. I saw a frame that was done like that the other day. Very good result. The rider also said that you need to apply plenty of stripper.

Ja. I saw a frame that was done like that the other day. Very good result. The rider also said that you need to apply plenty of stripper.

I probably did about 6 goings over. Between clearcoat, stickers, paint and primer there was a lot to chew through.

I did an aluminium frame with water paper.

Finished it with cardboard and brasso. Sanding it with the cardboard over and over again.

Took ages.

But.... the result was beautiful.

Mega satisfaction.

Why sand paper and not one of these polish kits?

I've used these a few times on frame or parts end up with a mirror finish on it.

http://www.impressart.com/media/catalog/product/a/l/aluminumpolishingkit2.jpg

Use some paint stripper and use a "Wap" to clean and remove the old paint afterwards!  I used a wire brush on a drill to get a nice raw aluminium finish afterwards.

Edited by Pappa Bear

Why sand paper and not one of these polish kits?

I've used these a few times on frame or parts end up with a mirror finish on it.

http://www.impressart.com/media/catalog/product/a/l/aluminumpolishingkit2.jpg

Rookie mistake

I've done it and it's not so bad.....paint stripper - I think I used the Plascon one. Brush it on thick and leave for an hour. Hose it off. Repeat where necessary.

If you want a polished finish like I did, sand with increasingly fine water-paper - 600/800/1200 then polish with a drill and polishing mop with the right polishing compound. To keep the finish nice and shiny just use car wax polish to seal the surface.

post-19617-0-62282100-1493803979_thumb.jpg

post-19617-0-34512500-1493803980_thumb.jpg

post-19617-0-36031800-1493803981_thumb.jpg

Great advice guys appreciate it a lot. Just another Q though, is it worth clear coating it once I've stripped it back or not really?