Vittoria Tyres excl serial numbers

Jakkals.

So, as far as I know, the tyres with scraped serial numbers are the real thing, but brought in via unofficial channels. 

Got the following quote from someone in the know about 2 years ago:

"Vittoria tyres are made with a protective layer on the inside, so when you scrape the serial number, you damage that layer and sealant can then react in a negative way with the tyre causing it to come of the rim while riding."

Edited by Ofaniy

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had four of these discount / grey import tyres break now. I initially bought two and needed to replace them as both tore within a few rides. When the third one broke, I contacted the distributor to find out what was going on with the tyres as I had been using the barzo for two years without incident and now all of a sudden I had torn three in two months... The distributor has been very helpful, but cant do much as they did not bring these grey import tyres in and referred me to the shop I got them from.

The fourth one tore in Tokai on Saturday.... I have no idea where these tyres have been sourced from but there is a serious quality issue with them.

Interestingly, none of the tyres had been ground on the inside, they just had no serial number at all.. :eek:

The genuine ones I have now purchased have a clear serial number in them. 

Just check, sometimes they grind it off and then use a permanent marker to cover it again

Ironic much: 

I still find it hard to believe that grey imports will be of a different quality to the stuff that the Official distributor brings in. They surely come from the same factory, and if not where would the inferior ones be coming from? 

As far as I know it's not fake, but a tyre can be tracked via the serial number. So whoever sells a item without a serial number is just protecting its source

https://nsquared.co.za

get in contact with them, they are vittoria agents in SA.

Thanks.

Think I'll go to CWC first since I bought it from them and see how it goes.

I don't think it's fake - came with the proper board and band, but why the hell is the serial number scraped off?

Also looks like some of the tire cord fabric could be damaged in the process of removing the number. 

All fixed it seems - CWC is sorting me out.

Everyone with new Vittoria tyres really should check this before installing.

Damage on the inside of the tyre from scraping the serial number could result in premature failure or a blown tyre. 

All fixed it seems - CWC is sorting me out.

Everyone with new Vittoria tyres really should check this before installing.

Damage on the inside of the tyre from scraping the serial number could result in premature failure or a blown tyre. 

Mine as received from CWC already installed (Stans de lot)... Not ridden yet.

As it was from CWC it did not even crossed my mind that it could be of this "serial no

removed" tyres... :wacko:

Any suggestions on how I can be sure it has serial no's without taking the tyres off again.... Stans is not cheap nowadays... 

As it was from CWC it did not even crossed my mind that it could be of this "serial no

Any suggestions on how I can be sure it has serial no's without taking the tyres off again.... Stans is not cheap nowadays... 

There is no way without removing them. The tyres are EXACTLY the same as the ones brought in via official channels, except for the removal. They are the same tyre. 

There is no way without removing them. The tyres are EXACTLY the same as the ones brought in via official channels, except for the removal. They are the same tyre. 

Thanks.

I have send CWC  a mail and still waiting for their reply:

"Hi

I’ve cc’d in our warranty department. They will be able to advise on this.

Best Regards

ONLINE SALES

www.cwcycles.co.za"

"

Doubt it... you will have to take them off and see. They look and feel exactly the same as ones with serial numbers (it is the same thing...) and I am sure they are fine, HOWEVER, the possible potential damage caused by scraping the serial number off is the difference.

I feel for you... the only way I saw it was when I popped enough of the tyre off to put Stans in and then right there in front of me was the scraped number. 

Mine are all legit it seems, serial numbers, vittoria cable tie holding the package together. And not a single issue as yet. Not to mention bought at a great price compared to any other LBS - so thumbs up to CWC from me.

Mine are all legit it seems, serial numbers, vittoria cable tie holding the package together. And not a single issue as yet. Not to mention bought at a great price compared to any other LBS - so thumbs up to CWC from me.

I m glad for you

Will also "thumbs up" them if they can confirm they only sold tyres with serial no's, of which none were possibly damaged by removing a serial no.

My LBS matched the price from CWC, and its just down the road so no waiting for the post office :thumbup:

I bought 2 Zaffiro's at discounted price from CWC. Had a sidewall malfunction with one at 1000km and returned to shop and they gladly replaced it. Been running them now for 3500km no issues. Serial numbers are printed in both tyres.

I bought 2 Zaffiro's at discounted price from CWC. Had a sidewall malfunction with one at 1000km and returned to shop and they gladly replaced it. Been running them now for 3500km no issues. Serial numbers are printed in both tyres.

those Zaffiro's go forever...unless you pump them too hard. hahaha

Mine split in the middle, my own fault though and still riding them now and again when I take my race bike out on some weekends.

Glad the sidewall malfunction did not caused a crash