Pepper Spray - What works best??

CTJ

Hi Hubbers....

So of late we have had a spike in cyclists being attacked in Port Elizabeth. Only one specific stretch of road, which we now avoid like the plague...

But thinking bigger picture I would like to be prepared to at least try and defend myself, rather than not have the means at all should said scenario become a reality.....this is South Africa after all...

Me and my training partner normally train early mornings 4 - 6 am, and stick to routes that is known as "safe passage"....relatively speaking....

I'm not keen on carrying a firearm whilst training, defeats the purpose of actually enjoying myself, as well as the practicalities involved. Next best option is pepper spray.

1) What pepper spray is tried and trusted?

2) Handlebar mounted or in cycling shirt? Or both?

For obvious reasons the aerosol will not work - I'm thinking the gel variant will be better. Any specific brands to use?

Any constructive feedback will be appreciated.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Swat Deftag makes an aerosol with a direct spray,stream, not a mist spray. Works really well. Must be on your person because if you get ambushed and fall off your bike you can't get to the spray. Actually happened to a good friend of mine.

Hope this helps

Hmm,

Simply avoid dodgy roads.

I used to sell these things and as they said you will likely gas yourself with it as well. You arent going to get it out in time. 

I bought one from Midas, forgot the brand, but it is specifically designed for cyclists with a velcro harness for quick access, which you can attach to your bike or even better, your camelbak.

edit: found it... same as this: https://www.thegadgetshop.co.za/sabre-cyclist-pepper-spray-with-adjustable-bike-strap-black

No point in putting it anywhere but on your person.... under your bib on your thigh is a good spot if in a dodgy area - otherwise I put mine in my pocket.

No point in putting it anywhere but on your person.... under your bib on your thigh is a good spot if in a dodgy area - otherwise I put mine in my pocket.

Not under your bib... Can you imagine it spraying things in there by accident?

Not under your bib... Can you imagine it spraying things in there by accident?

Not in your crotch.... on top of the thigh... at the leg hole.... :)

Far away from any potential damage.... - only issue is it's uncomfortable to ride with for more than a short while - but it's easy to retrieve in a hurry...

My experience says the only place it is of any (albeit limited) use is when it is in your hand. I keep mine in back pocket or under the cuff of my shorts and when I'm on a dodgy road, I hold it in my hand with my finger on the trigger. If I see any pedestrian who looks a bit suspect, I hold in front of me and pointed at the person just in case. I use a liquid bullet which shoots a stream aot spray.

I could not decide which pepper spray I would want, so I got this instead...

attachicon.gifcolt.jpg

1000 likes!

And you can use it off the bike too.

Edited by Sepia

I bought myself something similar to this one: 

http://www.takealot.com/sabre-cyclist-pepper-spray-with-adjustable-bike-strap/PLID41545318 

Mine doesn't have the bike strap (which I think is worthless if someone knocks you off the bike) but it's very nice and compact, it's about the same length as the grips on your handle bars but slightly skinnier. It does have a safety on the trigger i.e. the whole button rotates and slides over the barrier section on the side of the nozzle. 

I've not yet had the opportunity to use it before but, the slogan reads:

"Making grown men cry since 1975"  :w00t:. That in itself has to stand for something  :whistling:

And P.S. if you purchase today and they've got stock you may have it before the weekend

All the best and be safe out there

Cheers 

Hi, Swat Deftag makes an aerosol with a direct spray,stream, not a mist spray. Works really well. Must be on your person because if you get ambushed and fall off your bike you can't get to the spray. Actually happened to a good friend of mine.

Hope this helps

Got first hand experience with the SWAT direct stream, as does a female friend. It works extremely well.

Technique is key with pepper spray though, and if you keep it concealed the thug doesn't have a chance to dodge/cover up. Within 2 meters it's game over for them. Then the beating can begin!

I could not decide which pepper spray I would want, so I got this instead...

attachicon.gifcolt.jpg

That's great but if you're not carry it on you and it's on the bicycle it'll be pretty useless when you get separated from your bike. Even worse, it may get used on you.

If you are carrying in on you, you're soon about to discover how body sweat destroys a weapon in a matter of a week with rust. Be there, done that, got the rust and spent hours getting rid of it :thumbdown: