Pepper Spray - What works best??

CTJ

Well I've gone based on what was posted on this thread, and what I could find locally.

Wow Sabre has got expensive, almost R300 for a dinky 22ml cannister, it is very good though.

A cheaper and also good brand is Pfeffer KO Jet by Balistol, same guys that make the famous Balistol gun oil, I used to see it at gun shops, haven't seen it around recently though.

Edited by Skylark

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I went and bought a few canisters at their Stellenbosch Devon Place branch, the KL Ballistol Pfeffer KO Spray Jet, it's actually 50ml not 40ml like I previously posted.

R69 is a bargain of note and it works like crazy, I test sprayed some onto a wall and as I was walking away I got a whiff, it caught me in the back of the throat like muth fuga.

Ballistol is an old school German company you can rely on, their spray will be 100% legit, not fong kong looking like some of the pepper sprays I've seen for sale.

• 1 month later...

I was ambushed today by two people. They used pepper spray. I managed to swerve out of the way, BUT still got sprayed in the face... The interesting thing was that it took about 5 minutes for the burning sensation to start. Luckily I had sunglasses on and by the grace of God didn't get it in my respiratory track. Point that I am making is that it takes a while for the effects of pepperspray to kick in. Secondly, as a lucky "victim" I can say that an attack happens so quickly that it is unlikely that most cyclists will have the presence of mind to aim and spray. My two cents, just get away if you can. Also, today was the last time I went out alone.

Also, today was the last time I went out alone.

This is what frustrates me though. I enjoy riding alone. Up to date I've never felt endangered at all, but it only needs one event. The fact that stories like yours are becoming more prevalent is making seriously rethink my choices.

I was ambushed today by two people. They used pepper spray. I managed to swerve out of the way, BUT still got sprayed in the face... The interesting thing was that it took about 5 minutes for the burning sensation to start. Luckily I had sunglasses on and by the grace of God didn't get it in my respiratory track. Point that I am making is that it takes a while for the effects of pepperspray to kick in. Secondly, as a lucky "victim" I can say that an attack happens so quickly that it is unlikely that most cyclists will have the presence of mind to aim and spray. My two cents, just get away if you can. Also, today was the last time I went out alone.

Sorry to hear that man.

I'm assuming it took time for the pepper spray to migrate to your mucous membranes because from all my experiences it kicks in immediately if it gets a direct hit to your eyes, mouth or nose. Or maybe the adrenaline rush muted it somewhat initially which I doubt or more likely they used some shtty budget stuff(I have encountered that) with lower pepper concentration because the good stuff burns like a mofo from the instant it makes contact.

Edited by Skylark

Sorry to hear! Where did this happen?

I went and bought a few canisters at their Stellenbosch Devon Place branch, the KL Ballistol Pfeffer KO Spray Jet, it's actually 50ml not 40ml like I previously posted.

R69 is a bargain of note and it works like crazy, I test sprayed some onto a wall and as I was walking away I got a whiff, it caught me in the back of the throat like muth fuga.

Ballistol is an old school German company you can rely on, their spray will be 100% legit, not fong kong looking like some of the pepper sprays I've seen for sale.

what is the physical size of that 50ml Ballistol?

I've been thinking about pepper spray a lot lately. I think the one benefit of the 'overpriced' Sabre that I bought, is that it's pink. It feels less conspicuous than a bright red canister. However, I wish there was something that was green, and shaped like an inhaler.

what is the physical size of that 50ml Ballistol?

115 x 34mm, it's just about ideal, the small Sabre is really handy in size in terms of being unobtrusive if you are walking around with it in your pocket but the Ballistol fits into your hand better, you can get a solid grip with your fingers and use your thumb to activate the sprayer. The increased volume is also a huge advantage, if I remember correctly it's twice the Sabre.

It also fits into a pocket very easily just not as tiny as the Sabre

`Apologies for the slight hijack. 

A few years ago I had a tooth extracted and the wound got infected . The dentist treated it and then poured some stuff into a small bottle , with the instruction to rub it on the wound. When leaving I noticed the bottle that he poured it from. It was Ballistol gun oil. I looked at him and he just smiled. An old dentist trick that he had learnt as a student .

Hi guys. I've also been looking at safety options. I'm considering a type of plastic 'gun' which is loaded with two pepper spray type bullets, which can be more effective from say 10m. It's called the Guardian Angel 2. Apparently much more potent than spray, as it results in a gel substance spraying open once it hits a person.  

Yes there are pro's and cons.

Have any of you used this? Gimmick or effective? Any feedback appreciated.

I was lucky... They definitely did not have a good product and probably found it in a handbag from a smash and grab victim. 

Sorry to hear that man.

I'm assuming it took time for the pepper spray to migrate to your mucous membranes because from all my experiences it kicks in immediately if it gets a direct hit to your eyes, mouth or nose. Or maybe the adrenaline rush muted it somewhat initially which I doubt or more likely they used some shtty budget stuff(I have encountered that) with lower pepper concentration because the good stuff burns like a mofo from the instant it makes contact.

In Pretoria. George Storrar Rd (East) between Fountains Circle and Groenkloof Spar, abeam the Groenkloof Campus tennis courts.

Sorry to hear! Where did this happen?

In Pretoria. George Storrar Rd (East) between Fountains Circle and Groenkloof Spar, abeam the Groenkloof Campus tennis courts.

FFS.... literally 2km from home. Ride George Storrar quite often