Titan Elite vs Silverback Sola 3

jalberts1985

Hi all

I need your valued input on the following:

I am considering buying one of the following bikes

2013 Titan Elite

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/244540-titan-elite-extra-large-29er/

2015 Silverback Sola 3

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-sports-bicycles-fitness/george/silverback-sola-3-mountain-bike-29er/1001955648660910003366309

Both bikes have similar specs, both Rockshox Recon, Both Deore components, just the rear derailler on the Titan is Shimano XT and the Silverback one is SLX. Titan has Tektro Draco Hydraulic Brakes while the Silverback has Shimano Hydraulic brakes

What in your opinion is the better bike to buy. I must say the Titan is a good looking bike but I am not sure of their resale value or after sale service

your input will be appreciated

Thanks

Hi I had a Sola 3 and was very happy. I only sold it to buy a Sola 2 which I have upgraded and am also very happy. Silverback has excellent after sales service which I have personally experienced.

My Sola 2 has XT and my Sola 3 had SLX- both excellent really, XT a bit lighter and crisper shifts but SLX was awesome. 

IMO no mtb has a great resale value and you shouldn't really buy a mtb with resale value in mind but that is just my opinion- for me it is more about the fun fitness and adventure of it all. 

Good luck and enjoy!

Silverback. Hands down.

EDIT: Check frame size. Can't see a descriptor on the gumtree ad. XL is huge.

Edited by Belgarath

Had Silverback Sola 1 - loved it - the Titan is 2013 vs. Silverback 2015 - The frames I suspect are pretty much on par - but the components are at least 3 to 5 years old - so a little bit of a lottery - but at the price - can't go too far wrong either way. - also factor in R1000 for courier if you are not in George or joburg.

At this point after sales service will be null and void - Also depends on your budget and you might need to factor in a new chain/ derailleur or cassette as an expected additional cost. Go with your gut at this price - Titan is very good looking but older!  If you are thinking of this being a step to something better - then don't overspend now - save it for your final buy. 

I am not sure that 1.85m tall is in the XL yet I am 1.86m and the L frame titan feels almost stretched with standard stem.  

Silverback....and it is a newer model so will hold value a little longer too.

Also as mentioned above components will not have as much mileage on them.

The Titan has tubeless tyres on while the Sola looks to have the standard tubed tyres, but I would still go with the Silverback as you can either use slime for tubes or save up for tubeless tyres ;)

...due to trickle down of technology with Shimano components the SLX on the Silverback may be the same or slightly better than the XT on the older Titan... ;)

the silverback is a 2015 model so ja the components will have less wear on it but with any second hand bike you do take a chance.

Both are running tubeless.

Think I will have to get myself citted just to make sure I am buying the right frame size.  I currently have a 26er in Large frame and sometimes it does tend to feel a bit small for me. I have also read that one must not compare a 26er to a 29er when it comes down to size. don't know how true that is

I am not sure that 1.85m tall is in the XL yet I am 1.86m and the L frame titan feels almost stretched with standard stem.  

That's 'cos the standard stem is a boat anchor. XL is the right size. 

Oh - Silverback. No question.

Edited by Myles Mayhew