Hip bags, fanny packs... is this a thing now?

T-Bob

Okay, I don't like the way they look. At all.

But I read about those old oomies cycling in Bicycling magazine a few months ago(The Recyclers), and noticed how one wears something similar. He doesn't care. Just like thethe Pro's don't care about saddle bags.

And that's because they know something. They know it doesn't matter one little bit. We get too caught up in how we look, instead of looking for practical solutions to make cycling more fun and enjoyable.

I think that's what this is designed to be.

But again, "fun and enjoyable" is subjective.

While you think practicality is a priority for others their kit, slammed stem, valve caps blah blah are a priority. Not because either is wrong, but because people differ.

So I tease people with hairy legs, bars ends and spds on their road bikes, and I get teased for long socks, matching kit and the fact that I uncleat for the smallest obstacle on my MTB, but it's all in jest. If you actually start disliking the "others" then it's more that likely you who has the chip on their shoulder.

Edited by Patchelicious

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant believe there is a 7 page thread on the acceptability of the thing.. WGAF (who gives a F***) - if it works for you wear it, if it stores your spares or sustenance and you feel it necessary then wear the thing. if not, don't. I use a camelback on longer rides, works for me, keeps enough water on hand and quite comfy. On shorter rides I have a bottle of water and an "under the seat" spares keeper.  works for me. When I rode Enduro / mx  I had a fantastic thor waist pack which had all the required peripherals that I needed to get home.

Just wear whatever you want, no one gives a ****.. or do they??

I have to chuckle when I see okes kitted out in full mx clothing to ride the blue route at Northern Farms. Not a criticism,  if it works for you then go right ahead. Who gives a toss what other people think. 

But again, "fun and enjoyable" is subjective.

While you think practicality is a priority for others their kit, slammed stem, valve caps blah blah are a priority. Not because either is wrong, but because people differ.

So I tease people with hairy legs, bars ends and spds on their road bikes, and I get teased for long socks, matching kit and the fact that I uncleat for the smallest obstacle on my MTB, but it's all in jest. If you actually start disliking the "others" then it's more that likely you who has the chip on their shoulder.

What happens if I have roadie shoes with SPD cleats and those micro-spd one sided pedals?

Yes, baggies and hairy legs :P

What happens if I have roadie shoes with SPD cleats and those micro-spd one sided pedals?

u wot m8? 

I use Spd's and mtb shoes on my road bike... With a Camelbak. #shameful

But at least I shave... Now and then.

Yep....

16508802_10158118657070133_2683031001021

You're supposed to now say you have the roadie shoes for aerodynamics when you take that bike down the Tokai trails. Which is why it looks dirty... Edited by Thor Buttox

You're supposed to now say you have the roadie shoes for aerodynamics when you take that bike down the Tokai trails. Which is why it looks dirty...

it looks dirty 'cos it has a "smoke" paint job... :P

What are those pocket things on the back of your cycling shirt for then???

Or, is this an enduro shirt (ie no pockets) + fannypack thing?

Seems like a solution to a self-made problem. 

Agreed, I don't get why the endurbros need to wear pajama shirts with no pockets. 

I have a camelbak lobo that I only wear on long hot summer rides. The rest of the time my phone, keys, CO2 bombs and multitool goes into various pockets of my "roadie shirt" and baggies

Agreed, I don't get why the endurbros need to wear pajama shirts with no pockets. 

I have a camelbak lobo that I only wear on long hot summer rides. The rest of the time my phone, keys, CO2 bombs and multitool goes into various pockets of my "roadie shirt" and baggies

Because I don't want to keep anything in those pockets, and normal sports shirts (maxed) are far more comfortable. If I come off with a tool / pump in the back pocket or shirt, there's a good chance that it'll hurt far more than if it's in a bag on my back. Regardless of the style of bag. 

Do you struggle to walk with roadie shoes that have SPD on? I put some SPD on a set of roadie shoes for the spinning bike at gym and walking is life threatening. Walking with normal roadie cleats is much easier. At least with a normal MTB shoe it has "tread" on the sole.

EDIT spelling

Edited by Long Wheel Base

If you are going to carry a pack, then carry a pack !

This is my choice, even if I'm going for a 5km fun ride

http://www.allthegearbutnoidea.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Osprey-Raptor-14-Hydration-Pack-Review-Rear-Side.jpg

What make of jacket are you wearing in the pic?

Do you struggle to walk with roadie shoes that have SPD on? I put some SPD on a set of roadie shoes for the spinning bike at gym and walking is life threatening. Walking with normal roadie cleats is much easier. At least with a normal MTB shoe it has "tread" on the sole.

EDIT spelling

It's a little slippy, yeah. But my 1.5km walk home on the pavements of Wynberg was relatively slip-free. Did sound like a freshly-shod horse, though.