Open Water Swimming

IceCreamMan

Seeing as there is no real dedicated thread for swimming I thought it prudent to start one. All things swimming and when one considers that the cyclists with a running problem is by far the longest thread on multisport one realizes just how much swimming is the shunned discipline of multisport.  its the shortest by a long way of any triathlon in time and distance but probably the one that gives the most anxiety and stress. It really should not be.

Hoping to swim the English channel in the next couple of years if finances line up, donations welcome :)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the number of lakes around me, I should keep an eye on this thread and put the lakes to good use (over and above the odd booze cruises and regulars evening braais next to the lake)

Maybe should be more technical and discuss techniques unique to open water swimming which are difficult to replicate in the pool?  i.e how you like to sight when racing, tarzan stroke, quick glance under normal stroke, stop and get bearings?

Seeing as there is no real dedicated thread for swimming I thought it prudent to start one. All things swimming and when one considers that the cyclists with a running problem is by far the longest thread on multisport one realizes just how much swimming is the shunned discipline of multisport.  its the shortest by a long way of any triathlon in time and distance but probably the one that gives the most anxiety and stress. It really should not be.

Hoping to swim the English channel in the next couple of years if finances line up, donations welcome :)

If you going all that way, and you gonna swim accross the channel, surely it is worth doing Arch to Arc?

Start at Marble Arch London, run to Dover, Swim the English Channel, Once in Calais jump on your bike and cycle through to Arc du Triomphe. Not many do it each year but it is probably the toughest triathlon, where just finishing is truly epic. 87Mile run, the swim and 181Mile bike, makes Ironman seem rather tame.

http://www.enduroman.com/#/arch-to-arc-events/4583446845

while I was swimming this morning in the pool I was dreaming of how far I'd want to go one day. My current goal is robben island early next year. Then the next logical mark is the 10km distance. Then for a few seconds I dreamt of the channel crossing.....but after completing the single pool lane crossing it left my mind:)

Before we get too technical, please can someone answer this. During those long 1km plus sets, does anyone else get sleepy? 

If you going all that way, and you gonna swim accross the channel, surely it is worth doing Arch to Arc?

Start at Marble Arch London, run to Dover, Swim the English Channel, Once in Calais jump on your bike and cycle through to Arc du Triomphe. Not many do it each year but it is probably the toughest triathlon, where just finishing is truly epic. 87Mile run, the swim and 181Mile bike, makes Ironman seem rather tame.

haha...I have contemplated this thing before to be honest , the cycle and swim don't scare me but not sure my body would  handle the run. The costs are also eye watering ... I reckon it would cost me around 10 000 pounds to do this. that's 170k in rand terms. Of course that excludes the lawyer fees and settlement costs needed for my divorce first.

maybe one day, could also look at doing this as part of relay to reduce costs but that aint the same.

Edited by IceCreamMan

while I was swimming this morning in the pool I was dreaming of how far I'd want to go one day. My current goal is robben island early next year. Then the next logical mark is the 10km distance. Then for a few seconds I dreamt of the channel crossing.....but after completing the single pool lane crossing it left my mind:)

how far is Robben Island?

That's just insane, for such loonies "The Barkley" marathon would be an event to enter.

and water is cold and is shark infested....its the cold that scares me personally, no really.

I spent my youth surfing and was chased out many times by sharks, they never really bothered me too much until a friend of mine was killed by one. As I got older that weighs on my mind a lot more and I doubt I would be able to do that swim knowing what lurks around there.

Sharks are amazing but they scare the heck out of me at the same time.

there has been no recorded shark attack on an organised swim event. I'm planning to swim with a wetsuit

It's on my bucket list as well.

freedom3-600x400.jpg

"The swim itself starts from Robben Island Harbour.  The way the crow flies, the shortest route is about 7.2 km, however with the prevailing south current in the channel, the crossing ends up at about 7.5 km swim.

The swim is in the open Atlantic Ocean. The deep water comes from the Benguela current coming from Antarctic water in the South. The surface water temperature fluctuates between 11c to 18C degrees subject to surface winds direction. The water temperature during April is a reasonable temperature for experienced swimmers at 13C to 14C.

This are of the ocean is rich with wild life of seals, dolphins, whales and occasionally great white sharks. There has never been a shark attack or viewing of a shark in the life time of the event.  It is a beautiful breath-taking swim which is a must for every adventurous open water swimmer".

Edited by DA\/ID