Open Water Swimming

IceCreamMan

I don't know if this has been discussed, but what is the best swimming goggles to use for open water swimming. Will swim at cradle moon lakeside game lodge next month and then in East London end of Jan 2018. Do I buy normal training goggles or the open water goggles with bigger lenses?

i use arena open water goggles and i kinda like them.  they don't sit inside your eye socket, so you don't look like someone has tried to vacuum your eyeballs when you take them off.  also like the slight dark tint to the lenses for those early morning swims when the reflection can be quite harsh.  so yes, to me the "open water" type goggles are more comfortable and worth it

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you train for waves, and the people slapping while swimming.

My level of fitness in the pool is excellent(been a strong competitive swimmer since start of high school) and I work with a swimming coach for workouts etc. But each time I do a open water swim the chaos in the start makes me panic and I back off and ultimately end up in a bad position.

^^^ this!!! I truly thought I was the only one who experienced this. I have pretty much the exact same swimming background and experience. When I first got into the open water on race day, I didn't necessarily panic, but my muscles seized. I couldn't get a rhythm going and every time I breathed, I swallowed water. The waves and chaos then made me panic. I assume the best way to overcome this is to practice swimming in the open water. But I am a little weary of doing that after my last open water swim :/

I don't know if this has been discussed, but what is the best swimming goggles to use for open water swimming. Will swim at cradle moon lakeside game lodge next month and then in East London end of Jan 2018. Do I buy normal training goggles or the open water goggles with bigger lenses?

I use al cheapos in the pool - speedo set that cost me like R120 i think, and on a few ocassions forgot my open water goggles at home and used them in the sea - not too bad but not great either.

I have tried quite a few zoggs, masked type second skins etc, i now only use TYR special ops 2.0 with polorised lenses - R550 - worth every cent and more -

soft silicone cups no leakage and flexible nose bridge , no need for anti fog spray - built in and mine are almost 2 yrs old now (ok i save them for ocean so maybe under 50 swims), its not to big like a mask and so comfortable - wide view for sighting, i remember when tried them out at the shop i put it on and it was a revelation how soft and comfortable they sat on my face then i forked out the cash

^^^ this!!! I truly thought I was the only one who experienced this. I have pretty much the exact same swimming background and experience. When I first got into the open water on race day, I didn't necessarily panic, but my muscles seized. I couldn't get a rhythm going and every time I breathed, I swallowed water. The waves and chaos then made me panic. I assume the best way to overcome this is to practice swimming in the open water. But I am a little weary of doing that after my last open water swim :/

The only way to get used to it is to swim open water often. The conditions will always be different from day to day. Big swell, choppy water, rip currents all have an effect. Just accept that you are going to get hit and kicked a few times and you may need to put your goggles back on once or twice before you get going properly!

I quite enjoy the chaos of it but that is probably because Im used to it. Races like Midmar all help to get used to bunch starts and the washing machine effect.

How do you train for waves, and the people slapping while swimming.

My level of fitness in the pool is excellent(been a strong competitive swimmer since start of high school) and I work with a swimming coach for workouts etc. But each time I do a open water swim the chaos in the start makes me panic and I back off and ultimately end up in a bad position.

I normally break my swimming sessions into 3 times a week - 1 focusing on speed (50m sprint reps etc) , one endurance (big distance), 1 session drills of the drills we focus on sighting and open water skills - one of the drills we do is swim 3 okes in a row down a lane and just agree on where each one is turning on the wall as thats where it getts ugly, but on those 50m laps with 3 okes and some time one trailing you learn to cope quickly with swimming in a convind space and how to draft which has made a massive difference to my swimming, it also helps with the ability to not panic when you get caught in the washing machine of open water swimming on how to time your breathes even in tight spaces.

I use al cheapos in the pool - speedo set that cost me like R120 i think, and on a few ocassions forgot my open water goggles at home and used them in the sea - not too bad but not great either.

I have tried quite a few zoggs, masked type second skins etc, i now only use TYR special ops 2.0 with polorised lenses - R550 - worth every cent and more -

soft silicone cups no leakage and flexible nose bridge , no need for anti fog spray - built in and mine are almost 2 yrs old now (ok i save them for ocean so maybe under 50 swims), its not to big like a mask and so comfortable - wide view for sighting, i remember when tried them out at the shop i put it on and it was a revelation how soft and comfortable they sat on my face then i forked out the cash

I second the Special Ops 2 comment. Only thing though, is that the plastic thingy on the side broke after 4 months of use. They were so comfortable though, never leaked and barely fogged even as they aged. Not happy with the new Speedos I got, and think I will just get a new set and keep the Speedos as a spare. 

I second the Special Ops 2 comment. Only thing though, is that the plastic thingy on the side broke after 4 months of use. They were so comfortable though, never leaked and barely fogged even as they aged. Not happy with the new Speedos I got, and think I will just get a new set and keep the Speedos as a spare.

seems to be flaw on the ops 2 then my little clip on the right that holds the straps also went last month, but managed to use the clips from a R30 pair of no names i went asking for replacement clip at the swim shop and the sales person showed me the R30 bucks pair had clips on i could use - now i have a spare, maybe just take off the other clip and go scouting amoung the cheapies for a similar sized clip

I don't know if this has been discussed, but what is the best swimming goggles to use for open water swimming. Will swim at cradle moon lakeside game lodge next month and then in East London end of Jan 2018. Do I buy normal training goggles or the open water goggles with bigger lenses?

I use speedo or arena pool competition goggles. Works fine. Never tried the larger kind as the pool ones are perfect.

I use Speedo Aquapulse Max, I've tried loads of them and frankly there is no real "best"goggle to use. Whatever is most comfortable is the way to go, especially if you're in the water for anything more than around 45 minutes, I find they can become very uncomfortable.

Sometimes I can swim for up to 2hrs at a time and the pressure can become very painful if the goggle doesn't fit nicely.

I use them for open water as well as pool training.

Edited by Jigghead

I use Speedo Aquapulse Max, I've tried loads of them and frankly there is no real "best"goggle to use. Whatever is most comfortable is the way to go, especially if you're in the water for anything more than around 45 minutes, I find they can become very uncomfortable.

Sometimes I can swim for up to 2hrs at a time and the pressure can become very painful if the goggle doesn't fit nicely.

I use them for open water as well as pool training.

Goggles, like diving masks, should not be tight. They should just sit nicely on your face and the silicon will create a seal. If there are any indents or marks when you take your goggles off, they are too tight. Goggles should be fitted before buying to make sure they sit on your face nicely. 

Good morning guys.

My fiance is keen on doing the Midmar 2019, which means that I will most probably join her as I know how much it sucks training alone!! 

Now swimming is not my strong side, sinking/scuba diving sure, swimming not so much.

Here goes my questions:

1) Is there qualifying swims or is it like the 947 where you can just enter?

2) What is the minimum training that one needs to do as preparation? 

3) Where does one do this preparation in GP?

4) Is there a specific store in Pta/Jhb you can recommend we visit for some more info and also where to buy gear?

Letum911, look at https://speedo.com.au/speedo-fit/swim-programs/starter25

I swam a little in high school, and when I started up 7 months ago, I was swimming 1.5km straight sets in less than 3 months. I find that swimming is more about technique and correct pacing than anything else. If you want to get faster in the water, some serious commitment is needed. I used to swim 4 to 5 times a week with an aim of shaving off 15 seconds off my per 100m time. I lose those gains very quickly if I don't keep up that time in the pool. As a triathlete, it's too much time in the pool for me, and I would rather spend the time on my run, or resting. 

If you or your wife's stroke is really bad, you could look at some form of stroke correction coaching. That will probably give you the best jumps in speed. 

Best prep is swim in the pool, and do open water swims when you can get to a dam. Look at http://tyr.co.za/ for gear. The ladies costumes are great, and last longer than all of the other expensive brands. And they look nicer too. 

Edited by EmJayZA

Good morning guys.

My fiance is keen on doing the Midmar 2019, which means that I will most probably join her as I know how much it sucks training alone!! 

Now swimming is not my strong side, sinking/scuba diving sure, swimming not so much.

Here goes my questions:

1) Is there qualifying swims or is it like the 947 where you can just enter?

2) What is the minimum training that one needs to do as preparation? 

3) Where does one do this preparation in GP?

4) Is there a specific store in Pta/Jhb you can recommend we visit for some more info and also where to buy gear?

I've done a few swims in Emmarentia, its really quite nice, nothing of the death and disease stories I've heard of the past.

Also, Cradle Moon up past Muldersdrift (used to be called Heia Safari) I believe is decent, with set distances and buoys - although I still have never been.

Brilliant thanx guys!! I will start off with the Speedo program and give it a go.

How does the swimming fitness curve go? Would it be possible to go from zero to midmar in 4 months?

@CBlake: I'll give Heia a call and get some info. I have scuba dived Emmarentia in the winter with the Polar Bear dive, no death or disease but damn that thing gets cold!!!

For Heia, go to midmarmile.co.za it’ll give an option to enter the Heia swims. 4 months is more than enough time, just get some open water practice in, it’s very different to the pool

There’s a swim at Heia in 5 Nov, 3,000m, 1,000m & 400m.

I’ll see you there for a beer afterwards.

Edited by Jigghead

I’ll see you there for a beer afterwards.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. But I reckon the one on the 26th of Nov might see me!