Open Water Swimming

IceCreamMan

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. But I reckon the one on the 26th of Nov might see me!

So is that no to the beer or no to the swim?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So is that no to the beer or no to the swim?

I'm always keen on a beer :thumbup: , and it's a provisional no to the swim. But will get into the pool over the weekend and start training. Might just join for the 400m swim as well :eek:

Goggles, like diving masks, should not be tight. They should just sit nicely on your face and the silicon will create a seal. If there are any indents or marks when you take your goggles off, they are too tight. Goggles should be fitted before buying to make sure they sit on your face nicely. 

I am going to sound like a real n00b now, but i really didn't know this! Thanks for the info

I am going to sound like a real n00b now, but i really didn't know this! Thanks for the info

That’s why we have these forums so that knowledge gets shared.

My goggles are not tight, but after 2 hrs in the water, the suction becomes painful irrespective of how tight the straps are. This is just my experience with all goggles I’ve tried, all with various strap tightness.

Bottom line is, find a comfy pair and keep it as tight or loose as is comfortable for you. I tend to keep mine a little tighter than usual in open water purely because I’m not keen to have to empty them halfway through due to turbulence or getting knocked off. Just a personal preference. Pool swimming I keep them quite loose, but they still get a little sore beyond the 1hr mark.

I use normal speedo pool goggles, I only bought them because I liked the reflective gold lenses... (shameless) 

I've never tried the larger open water type, although I'm also curious. Saying that my normal goggles got through Ironman no problem.

Haha, I have a set of gold lensed fastskins, when I wear them ppl expect me to swim like mark spitz haha total fail.

Brilliant thanx guys!! I will start off with the Speedo program and give it a go.

How does the swimming fitness curve go? Would it be possible to go from zero to midmar in 4 months?

@CBlake: I'll give Heia a call and get some info. I have scuba dived Emmarentia in the winter with the Polar Bear dive, no death or disease but damn that thing gets cold!!!

4 months is plenty if you guys are comfortable in the water and have an ok base to work from. 

Jana Schoeman runs open water workshops which teach how to sight, draft and other open water skills. She also does drills to get her students used to swimming with people around. It's inexpensive, around R150 per person for a few hours iirc. You will have to travel to Hobart Dam though. She will also help you select a wetsuit (if you are going to buy) and give you some additional advise. 

You can get her details from:

https://www.facebook.com/SwimSmoothJoburg/

hi newbee here,does anyone know of guys swimming in ocean on weekends,not looking to join triclub due to work commitments but keen to get some open water swimming done,ideally a group that meets up,swims and quick departure,would appreciate any help,I'm in the Durban area and can get to promenade very easy.

another q

is there any assistance on the 70.3 bicycle route,regarding if bicycle breaks,not puncture im sure participants can manage that easy enough.

hi newbee here,does anyone know of guys swimming in ocean on weekends,not looking to join triclub due to work commitments but keen to get some open water swimming done,ideally a group that meets up,swims and quick departure,would appreciate any help,I'm in the Durban area and can get to promenade very easy.

another q

is there any assistance on the 70.3 bicycle route,regarding if bicycle breaks,not puncture im sure participants can manage that easy enough.

The 70.3s I have done (Switzerland) have had a few roving bike mechanics on motorbikes for people who need mechanical assistance.

another q

There are generally motorbike mechanics on the cycle route.  Best to carry your own spares, tube, bombs for puncture and quick link should chain break, so you can get back up and running quickly... otherwise is pot luck in that you might be lucky and the maintenance motorbike might be close by when you have a mechanical, else you end up sitting on the side of the road waiting for the mechanic to come by.

If bike breaks totally there are sweep vehicles to get you back.

fyi

for those in CT there are a few open water swims coming up: There are more I'm sure but here's some

29th Oct Benguela cove near hermanus 1km, 3km and 5km I think

5th Nov 1som Clifton 4th 1.6km

11th Nov Port own mile

12th Nov. Atlantic dash 5km from Clifton 4th to 3 anchor bay

25th Nov brian Curtis mile. Oceana club waterfront

26th quaggaskloof in Worcester 1km, 10km

Edited by mon-goose

I know this is still a bit early but I'm going to be in PE from the 23rd to the 28th December and would love to join some guys for a swim at the pier. Is there anyone on this forum who might be keen to go swim?

so if anyone is interested i found a durban open water swim race taking place,

dolphin mile surf swim on 10th december,check out thier page.will keep checking for durban open water swims,seems like only jhb and ct on ths site.if anyone would like a sunday morning ows sessions lets meet up.

I don't know if this has been discussed, but what is the best swimming goggles to use for open water swimming. Will swim at cradle moon lakeside game lodge next month and then in East London end of Jan 2018. Do I buy normal training goggles or the open water goggles with bigger lenses?

By the way, never skimp on goggles. They by far the cheapest piece of kit you will buy compared to bikes and takkies etc so don’t skimp. Comfortable goggles with great vision make swimming so much easier. Best gains per buck I reckon.

To improve your vision: Anti fog in goggles is a myth for me, It never works. The only thing that works for me is a little bit of baby shampoo and then wipe clean with a soft cloth.