Active citizenship - Cape Town

Pure Savage

Hi Capetonians,

Bit of a back story: After having car written off, now a full time commuter to work, trip is from Foreshore to Claremont via Woodstock. Been doing it for almost three months and have had to contend with glass and people parking in bike lane, being under 30 I just moaned on twitter and got a some likes and rewteets. Not much changed. 

Last week the Cape Town city alerts lodged the complaints for me on their site and the glass has been cleaned on the section I reported. 

I then went and looked at the how process to submit an issue. Its really simple and rather quick. Having talked to a ward councilor, he was saying that it basically comes down to the issues with the most requests gets the money and time spent on it. 

So as well as reporting on twitter etc, so every week if their are cars parked in the lane, glass, pot holes or any other issue i will make lodge the complaint. 

Point of this thread: Keep track of all the service requests and complaints, so we can get the cycle lanes safer for cyclists. 

If too busy to report - you can send a PM with location, issue, cell phone number and I will submit for you

Here is how to do it:

Click on this link:

https://eservices1.capetown.gov.za/coct/wapl/zsreq_app/index.html

Click on create service request:

post-11806-0-90805900-1493896985_thumb.jpg

Click on what you want to report - Either street sweeping/parking

post-11806-0-44718500-1493897246_thumb.jpg

Add a location so they no where to action your request:

post-11806-0-73678100-1493897282_thumb.jpg

You can even add a selfie (No please dont, just a pic of car in the lane/glass) * You do not need a photo

post-11806-0-23831600-1493897318_thumb.jpg

Then just add your contact deets so they can contact you and know you are not some random bot:

post-11806-0-22735800-1493897364_thumb.jpg

If we can start reporting this regularly the city can start doing things about it. 

Stay Savage!

Edited by Pure Savage

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How SAVAGE of you! Some would say PURE SAVAGE! :devil:

Props though! Always more useful to take action using the right channels! :thumbup:  :thumbup:

That's one of the perks of living in an established DA province......won't work here in Joburg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kudos to you on this, I commute the same route most days and the worse part of that route is just before the Old Biscuit Mill, coming from Town, where that rustic furniture business is... There is always a Bakkie Parked in the road on the bicycle lane, and tables in the road as well...

Well done on this effort on your part though, will log the complaint, soon enough...

Thanks, this is good to know.

Slightly off-topic, but cycling safety in CTN is as we know, is daunting. As part of the active citizenship, is there value in running a focused design thinking exercise to define, test and present a set of ideas (to the city)?

Kudos to you on this, I commute the same route most days and the worse part of that route is just before the Old Biscuit Mill, coming from Town, where that rustic furniture business is... There is always a Bakkie Parked in the road on the bicycle lane, and tables in the road as well...

Well done on this effort on your part though, will log the complaint, soon enough...

That same blue bakkie, the Mr Chips van and those Flower Warehouse vans all parked in the bike lane every day

Thanks, this is good to know.

Slightly off-topic, but cycling safety in CTN is as we know, is daunting. As part of the active citizenship, is there value in running a focused design thinking exercise to define, test and present a set of ideas (to the city)?

You can contact the PPA, they are having that exact meeting with the city regarding this today. 

I know Carbon29er has really been involved and will have insight into participation regarding this. 

First issue is getting the cycle lane safe, so we can stop using the N1.

You can contact the PPA, they are having that exact meeting with the city regarding this today. 

I know Carbon29er has really been involved and will have insight into participation regarding this. 

First issue is getting the cycle lane safe, so we can stop using the N1.

Only way that will happen is if the cycle lane is routed next to the N1 into the bottom of the Foreshore, rather than along the bus route through Paarden Eiland!

That's one of the perks of living in an established DA province......won't work here in Joburg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It works very well for pothole reporting in my municipality (which is not DA run). Can't comment on other services as I've never tried reporting them.