Crater Cruise 2017

Bruceste

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to miss it, my favourite part of the land up here. My bike needs serious work, frigging Reverb dropper seat post is poop and Lefty cartridge needs some serious attention, its like a limp dick.

Its going to be warm, so my pearl of Crater Cruising wisdom is pack three water bottles, freeze two and keep in a backpack until needed. That's the way to handle that dry heat.

Happy trails to all who will be riding tomorrow! It can feel a lot hotter than reported temps. Hydrate and take electrolytes if you are at all prone to cramping.

1st Crater Cruse done. I enjoyed the ride. Would have liked to have the intel that the route is not 73 but 80kms.Did not stop at last water point which at tbat point was 5ks before the end. Big surprise. I was bushed and dehydrated at the end. Will b back though. Nice challenge.

Yeah same thing happenned to me saw last water point and figured only 5km left I will be fine with ehat I had left also got a big suprise haha...But wil definatly be back next time aswell

Enjoyed the 42km... very lekker the new route, some proper mountains and mountain biking in those beautiful kloofs. And it sure beats slaving away at a water point all day  ;)

Some pics I took out on route

post-3544-0-42527900-1505112853_thumb.jpg

post-3544-0-95083700-1505112880_thumb.jpg

post-3544-0-19848200-1505112896_thumb.jpg

post-3544-0-98828400-1505112917_thumb.jpg

The actual speeds attained indicates that even the organisers were a bit optimistic wrt speeds used to self split in the self-seeding process .

I was a slow as a snail though

I took heavy heavy strain. 

Following up on some of the other posts, when you get back to within viewing sight of the start area, +- 73kms in (stated distance of the race), and the lightie says turn left to go to the cruel joke of another 7km of the bike park I was not happy. You even cycle past the building next to the river and it still wasn't over....

Oh well, first marathon race done, but I don't think I'll be returning there in a hurry...well who knows.

My Garmin read the max temp as 37 degrees. My Strava suffer score was "Epic" at 318 which I didn't know was possible. 203 was my previous highest.