[Event] Carnival City Macsteel National Classic 2017

Frosty

I have done the 103km race for the last few years, including the double last year.  This year I am racing VC.

Besides the obvious extra distance, does the additional double loop make the race significantly harder?

The extra loop isn't tough, most of it is the same road just ridden twice. That's why the vets start so early, so they can be done with the loop and are back on the normal route before the 103 riders get to the loop as to prevent passing them each other. The extra distance shouldn't be a problem for most but its the fast surges that get to most guys. Last year for the 2nd edition I was not nearly fit enough and actually got dropped before half way. Luckily I was not alone and we still had a decent size group to carry on working hard.

VC is still a very competitive group. All the vets times are often very close with the winners from each group often being less than 10 min apart.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

smaller batches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool, last year it went down to NL so there should still be batches after me I can wheelsuck from. 

Next year I am racing vets. I will start with the Fast One... I hope the riding is more mature compared to A...if there is such a thing. Lol

I don't trust myself this year, and I have entered for all the races this year already. I will train for the veterans in the holidays (if the missus lets me).

The extra loop isn't tough, most of it is the same road just ridden twice. That's why the vets start so early, so they can be done with the loop and are back on the normal route before the 103 riders get to the loop as to prevent passing them each other. The extra distance shouldn't be a problem for most but its the fast surges that get to most guys. Last year for the 2nd edition I was not nearly fit enough and actually got dropped before half way. Luckily I was not alone and we still had a decent size group to carry on working hard.

VC is still a very competitive group. All the vets times are often very close with the winners from each group often being less than 10 min apart.

Thanks

VC put the hurt on as Satellite between 50 and 80km, and I got dropped.

There were 4 of us taking turns up to Hekpoort, but we all know what happens on Hekpoort of F***** legs.

Will have to see how it goes.  Last year November AL we savage.  Will have to see how it goes.

Next year I am racing vets. I will start with the Fast One... I hope the riding is more mature compared to A...if there is such a thing. Lol

I don't trust myself this year, and I have entered for all the races this year already. I will train for the veterans in the holidays (if the missus lets me).

Fast one is a good one to start with, not too tough. 

Thanks

VC put the hurt on as Satellite between 50 and 80km, and I got dropped.

There were 4 of us taking turns up to Hekpoort, but we all know what happens on Hekpoort of F***** legs.

Will have to see how it goes.  Last year November AL we savage.  Will have to see how it goes.

Watch the cross winds and try ride smart. Most of the time that's when the racing heats up in vets and we know how the wind can blow at this race.

I think even on good legs I will suffer up hekpoort.

Winds can be hectic... if it keeps blowing like it has been doing...

The amount of accidents and sinkholes at Fast One did not make for an easy race exactly... Got to be super alert at all these races with the winds and road conditions...

Anyone check out the route roads yet?

Edited by s14phoenix

I have been racing AL for the past 3 years, with some really dodge riding in the group.

I have since done three vets races, 947 & Emperors & Satellite, and have found the riding to be far more civilised and controlled.

The guys do try to move up through the group, but none of the overtaking into the oncoming lane and swerving back for the traffic.  They do however drift over into the oncoming lane for the wind cover.

I enjoy the racing more in VC, but the pace is high, with many true VETERANS of the sport in the group.

Last year on this one, I had just moved up here from Cape Town. It was my first ride in the Gauteng region... Jeepers, I could not breath! I got dropped, but somehow managed to finish in the top 30% of my group.

Hopefully the altitude will help me this weekend when I take on the One Tonner.  :clap:

I have been racing AL for the past 3 years, with some really dodge riding in the group.

I have since done three vets races, 947 & Emperors & Satellite, and have found the riding to be far more civilised and controlled.

The guys do try to move up through the group, but none of the overtaking into the oncoming lane and swerving back for the traffic.  They do however drift over into the oncoming lane for the wind cover.

I enjoy the racing more in VC, but the pace is high, with many true VETERANS of the sport in the group.

I am 30, turning 31 2 days before the Fast One. Will I have to go to VA or my seeding decides? Or I choose when I sign up for a race?

I could write a book about AL group and the lack of self preservation - nevermind consideration for those around in the group.

...guys forcing past inside the group into gaps that don't exist and then when they are there they can't seem to hold the wheel... forcing a split and a chase back by everyone else... or constant surging and braking

my pet hate... the guys that when they move forward cut across a line forcing evasive action by everyone

but lets not rant about off topic issues... I wish I could stay with VA/VB (depending where the age split is done) but the pace is just too high to hang on most of the time and the gap to the AL or A batch is just too big to make the jump and go licenced.

Edited by s14phoenix

Winds can be hectic... if it keeps blowing like it has been doing...

The amount of accidents and sinkholes at Fast One did not make for an easy race exactly... Got to be super alert at all these races with the winds and road conditions...

Anyone check out the route roads yet?

Good surface on most of the route - newly tarred roads. All potholes get filled in the week leading up to race day.

Good surface on most of the route - newly tarred roads. All potholes get filled in the week leading up to race day.

As an ex GW i can say, been there done that got the tarred shirt. 

late entries are available online from yesterday until 24/10 - no need to wait for registration. This means late numbers done online can also collect on the day. Saving having to waste a day going to registration.

Is the seeding then done on a 1st come 1st served basis so to speak. Edited by Pikey