Malibongwe Drive into the cradle - safe?

Furbz

Days of my cycling into the cradle are over (unless on MTB) ..all the routes are just too dangerous these days.

rather load bike and park at bidon, valverde, lion and rhino, something country etc... yeah, its a shlep and it takes an hour round trip that could be better spent cycling but the traffic on these roads are without patience.

Edited by IceCreamMan

Even out the odds and drive to the cradle as stated above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got 'snicked' by a car on the big climb on cedar road a few weeks ago. Was in the yellow lane but didnt help...Only safe option there is via the mtb track on the side.

I got 'snicked' by a car on the big climb on cedar road a few weeks ago. Was in the yellow lane but didnt help...Only safe option there is via the mtb track on the side.

...and even then you've got to watch for the taxis/twits using the verge to avoid the queuing traffic at the T-junction at the top of the hill.

...and even then you've got to watch for the taxis/twits using the verge to avoid the queuing traffic at the T-junction at the top of the hill.

there is a rough path off to the side of that which is safe - separate from the verge/taxi lane - but it only runs for the hilly part - then you have the verge...

there is a rough path off to the side of that which is safe - separate from the verge/taxi lane - but it only runs for the hilly part - then you have the verge...

....verging on the ridiculous.

Zandspruit is dodgy, be careful.  I was attacked there while riding in a southerly direction.  Haven't cycled on that route since.

So options are:

Ceder Ave - Roadworks but otherwise ok

Malibongwe - Cosmos debri and Cosmos itself

Hendrik Potgieter - Many reported RIP incidents = dangerous

Beyers Naude - No shoulder, Narrow, Zandspruit Squatter Camp = NO GO?

Marina - again Zandspruit. otherwise ok? what about using Aureole Ave to get to it?

Is Zandspruit a issue to drive past, i'm sure it must be uncomfortable. always looks like chaos when i drive past there

We regularly ride out on HP (road) and Beyers (MTB), with both starting north of the N1.

Honestly, neither of those options is perfect and I am currently considering whether both are too dangerous to continue riding.