Hammerhead Karoo GPS Cycling Computer

SCD

This looks like a very interesting concept.

A cycling computer based on Android, the usual lot of functions, proper navigation, etc. Maybe a good candidate to rattle the cage a little bit :)

I am not going to repeat all the details here. Below is the link to the website and a Preview by DC Rainmaker.

What are your thoughts?

https://www.hammerhead.io/pages/karoo

How / where to keep log of activities (other than Strava)?

In other words: Will Discovery accept activities uploaded via this... 

• 1 month later...

Karoo?! what a great brand!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-pCd2-d5FeFk/VYZqFv8ZIKI/AAAAAAAASY8/Ou6j8lDdbOM/s1600/49-hull-city-2007-08-h.jpg

hey hey, look at this. - Piet Morgan CEO

Piet’s passion for biking began in his childhood in South Africa, where he cycled with his friend and classmate, Chris Froome, one of the best cyclists in a generation. The challenge of navigating on a bike became fully apparent to Piet when he biked across the United States, and he dedicated himself to a solution through the power of software. Piet graduated from Yale University, where he was a cyclist and member of the Yale Crew, stroking the varsity 8.

edit:colour change text from white

Edited by rider#35

Then we’ve got pricing.  We don’t know where they are – but they’ll be battling what are basically two extremes.  On one hand you have something like the Wahoo ELEMNT (non-BOLT), which is an incredibly capable unit with mapping and such and many other features the Karoo won’t have.  That sits at $329  The ELEMNT lacks the pretty display, more detailed maps and full routing of the Karoo.  It also lacks the 3G cellular connectivity.  But it makes up for it in many other areas like better sensor support, integrated trainer control already, Strava Live Segments and numerous other smaller features that Wahoo has had to work through over a much longer timeframe.

At the other extreme you have something like the Edge 1000, which sits at $499.  It’d be easy to assume (as Acer did) that one’s product with a prettier display is worth that higher price, but one would be mistaken.  The simple reality is that the Edge 1000 can command the price it gets not so much because of the mapping, but because of all the other things it does.  It’s a beast in terms of functionality, even if most consumers never use all of it.  Everyone’s 1% setting never used is another person’s most important thing.

So my thinking is this would sell well in the same price range as the ELEMNT ($329…maybe $349 at most).  I feel we’re going to continue to see more and more competition in the bike computer market over the course of the year, 

$299 on Pre-Order. That's seriously competitive.

http://i.imgur.com/k97KbMC.png

Doesn't ship to RSA.

Edited by bertusras

$299 on Pre-Order. That's seriously competitive.

http://i.imgur.com/k97KbMC.png

Doesn't ship to RSA.

That makes it really noncompetitive. If you cannot buy it, it cannot compete.

hey hey, look at this. - Piet Morgan CEO

Piet’s passion for biking began in his childhood in South Africa, where he cycled with his friend and classmate, Chris Froome, one of the best cyclists in a generation. The challenge of navigating on a bike became fully apparent to Piet when he biked across the United States, and he dedicated himself to a solution through the power of software. Piet graduated from Yale University, where he was a cyclist and member of the Yale Crew, stroking the varsity 8.

edit:colour change text from white

This is very interesting. I think I know who this Morgan chap might be (his name definitely isn't Piet, I promise you that). Piet's brother and I were in the same class at school. 

Knarly! 

How / where to keep log of activities (other than Strava)?

In other words: Will Discovery accept activities uploaded via this... 

I presume not. No direct sync to Garmin/Polar and the like, I guess you're in trouble. Even something as popular as TomTom took a while to gain acceptance. 

This is very interesting. I think I know who this Morgan chap might be (his name definitely isn't Piet, I promise you that). Piet's brother and I were in the same class at school. 

Knarly! 

Jon studied History and Archaeology at Yale University, graduating in 2013. He has been an avid cyclist and rower since his childhood in South Africa. Jon was a member of the Yale Heavyweight Crew Team in college, captaining it in his senior year. Prior to joining Hammerhead Jon worked for Endeavor Global, and then the White House, traveling to coordinate more than 30 domestic and international trips for the President of the United States.

Jon studied History and Archaeology at Yale University, graduating in 2013. He has been an avid cyclist and rower since his childhood in South Africa. Jon was a member of the Yale Heavyweight Crew Team in college, captaining it in his senior year. Prior to joining Hammerhead Jon worked for Endeavor Global, and then the White House, traveling to coordinate more than 30 domestic and international trips for the President of the United States.

You're good. *clap clap* 

That makes it really noncompetitive. If you cannot buy it, it cannot compete.

Valid point. However there are ways and means if you want to save $200...

I have no idea what that means!  :eek:

job for the little guy?

http://static3.uk.businessinsider.com/image/57a8b6b4dd08953e358b495e-1333/great%20britian%20rowing.jpg

in all seriosuness, i think it's the lead rower, everyone follows his paddle stroke basically.

job for the little guy?

http://static3.uk.businessinsider.com/image/57a8b6b4dd08953e358b495e-1333/great%20britian%20rowing.jpg

in all seriosuness, i think it's the lead rower, everyone follows his paddle stroke basically.

8 man boat is the most prestigious. 

Tiny man on the front is called the cox. Smallest body, loudest voice.