Hammerhead Karoo GPS Cycling Computer

SCD

So I see the Karoo is making some good headway in terms of functionality. Lots of updates on the unit and it seems like people are reporting some accurate measures. Tempting at about R3500 (pre launch pricing). Who else is keeping an eye on this unit? 

https://www.hammerhead.io/pages/karoo

8 man boat is the most prestigious.

Tiny man on the front is called the cox. Smallest body, loudest voice.

Does he have to stroke them because he is the smallest? Do they strike him too sometimes?

So I see the Karoo is making some good headway in terms of functionality. Lots of updates on the unit and it seems like people are reporting some accurate measures. Tempting at about R3500 (pre launch pricing). Who else is keeping an eye on this unit? 

https://www.hammerhead.io/pages/karoo

It looks very interesting. Massive, but I guess you'd get used to it.

What is the pre launch pricing?

I like how they have a proper changelog and future plan on their site - unlike some other smaller GPS manufacturers, they appear to be aware that it is the software that will make or break it, no matter how solid the hardware might be.

For now I should probably save my money for a power meter, but if Lezyne keeps breaking things with every update instead of fixing, I might be interested in this one sooner.

• 1 month later...

Current ex-vat/costs price?

https://www.hammerhead.io/pages/karoo8a2acb435086be1ad1bf926486f87415.jpg

Edited by 'Kaze Pete

I have no idea what that means!  :eek:

It means he is the one in touch with their cox......

• 6 months later...

I took the big step and ordered one of these. Arrived ca two weeks later via Aramex.

Complete dud. Very very old android software that will not update. Does not look anything close to whats on their www. Tech support were reasonably good and I am in the process of returning it, which will cost another 2k [emoji35]

So far a disappointing start. Will let you know what happens from here.

Had a look at the comments on DC rainmaker review of the hammerhead and its nothing but complaints about empty promises from the company

• 1 month later...

Received my replacement unit today. Looks like the software works but needs a proper test over the holidays. The jury is still out (but have a slightly more open mind now)

I performed all the setups and downloads overnight (lots of patience needed!) but the unit was ready to go this morning. Finally, after one return, two VAT payments and a crapton of shipping costs, what is now the world's most expensive bike computer was ready to roll. 

The unit worked well and it looks like it will give you decent battery life. The screen is detailed and the android platform works well once the download is installed. 

One thing I will have to get used to is the size and more specifically, the weight. Looking at big tech's ability to cram much more hardware into cellphones, the size of the unit simply looks redundant. 

Its fitment bracket works seamlessly with the Garmin and Barfly's bar mounts, although the unit is slightly loose. Its ultimate test will be in Jonkershoek and Armageddon specifcally. I am a bit sceptical but lets see. The fact that they recommend you fit the lanyard as well does not help!

post-501-0-84050100-1544685150_thumb.jpeg

post-501-0-01857700-1544685159_thumb.jpeg

• 1 year later...

I performed all the setups and downloads overnight (lots of patience needed!) but the unit was ready to go this morning. Finally, after one return, two VAT payments and a crapton of shipping costs, what is now the world's most expensive bike computer was ready to roll. 

The unit worked well and it looks like it will give you decent battery life. The screen is detailed and the android platform works well once the download is installed. 

One thing I will have to get used to is the size and more specifically, the weight. Looking at big tech's ability to cram much more hardware into cellphones, the size of the unit simply looks redundant. 

Its fitment bracket works seamlessly with the Garmin and Barfly's bar mounts, although the unit is slightly loose. Its ultimate test will be in Jonkershoek and Armageddon specifcally. I am a bit sceptical but lets see. The fact that they recommend you fit the lanyard as well does not help!

long term testing?!!