[Event] The 36ONE MTB Challenge 2018

Tanya De Abreu Fernandes

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated!

For a first timer I guess it is a 'plan for the worst' scenario as per Leon's post.Plan for 36.09 hours...

Carry some "white gold" on you just in case you need to take a Bosk*k.

Edited by GAP

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And its a Go! - Medic forms signed off by doc and of medical opinion all is in good health.

....However, for some of us and I know it has been asked, "have I done enough?"........That is always going to be the question.  :whistling:

....However, not much can be done from now and it all gets real, again in 10 days!!!!!!!.......

That is the reality!

:clap:

Hi, I mapped the route last night on Garmin, and according to that the Rooiberg waterpoint is at +-242km (CP 3 still at 280), so you may just relook your expectations for that stage which is actually 38k's and not 28. Maybe someone who has done before can check.

From the summit of Rooiberg to CP3 is roughly 26km give or take........I think they have moved the waterpoint/added for this section. I could be wrong  :whistling:

The stretch from the waterpoint before Rooiberg to CP3 is long. Not just in distance, but also in time. I popped about 5kms out from CP3 (but the pancakes revived me!). A waterpoint at the top, or on the Calitzdorp side would be a fantastic idea - you think you've done it when you get to the top of the climb, but the drag into town is a killer!

(And got over the climb in the dark still - it must be another level of suffering doing that in the midday heat! Which again fills me with massive respect for everyone taking more than 20 hours - seriously hardcore!)

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated!

For a first timer I guess it is a 'plan for the worst' scenario as per Leon's post.Plan for 36.09 hours...

Just a quick comment, depending on how cold/warm it is at the start, you may get away with riding in shirt only to CP 1, or even further.  Last year for me the coldest was at about 3am and then again that hour or so before sunrise was flipping cold as well.  You may have to keep your warm clothes on after CP2, depending on which time you get there.

What do you guys put in your boxes? From what I gather there is no need for food/drink etc, maybe just refills of 'gummyberry juice - whatever your poison' for your bottles?

Maybe some warm kit in the 1st box depending on the weather?

Some sunscreen and an extra light for the 3rd box in case you go into the second night?

I guess it will all depend on your target & personal preferences but would appreciate some input from the 'old hands'.

If you're comfortable in your own grime and sweat and ick, then you don't really need too much from the boxes.

We don't really bother with the first box - a spare bottle, and maybe some spares. The kit we start in is good enough to get to CP2.

2nd box - my partner puts in his spare light battery. Some kit (although we've never taken it). A spare bottle and spares (tube, bombs).

3rd box - we usually use this box to put things into - lights, kit, etc. My partner puts in his power bank to charge his Garmin, and we have a spare bottle and some spares. I also put my sunglasses in here.

We live of the food tables for both snacks and fluid.

A warning about CP3 - you can lose quite a bit of time here getting your box, the boxes are stacked miles from the route, and walking 300m after riding 280kms isn't pleasant. If you have a support crew, get them to get it for you (or better yet, get them to have your supplies).

While the checkpoints are like little oases of life and happiness, try not to spend too much time stuck in a checkpoint faffing. Have a plan, get in, get your stuff and get out. The more time you don't spend on your bike, the more difficult it is to get back on your bike. Even if you're cruising slowly while eating a pancake, that's one less kilometre to worry about.

Hallo, anyone driving through to Outshoorn on Thursday and coming back on Sunday?

I need a lift or someone to drive with me to share travel costs.

I am from Secunda.

The stretch from the waterpoint before Rooiberg to CP3 is long. Not just in distance, but also in time. I popped about 5kms out from CP3 (but the pancakes revived me!). A waterpoint at the top, or on the Calitzdorp side would be a fantastic idea - you think you've done it when you get to the top of the climb, but the drag into town is a killer!

(And got over the climb in the dark still - it must be another level of suffering doing that in the midday heat! Which again fills me with massive respect for everyone taking more than 20 hours - seriously hardcore!)

That's correct, once you over Rooiberg it just drags on forever to CP3, that was the only section I ran out of water, some said there was Water on offer at the top of Rooiberg, but it wasn't there when I went over, so just be careful to the guys who are going to be doing that section in the Heat of the day.

And to the newbys don't forget Cycling Glasses for the Dust and Insects at night.

Edited by GAP

That's correct, once you over Rooiberg it just drags on forever to CP3, that was the only section I ran out of water, some said there was Water on offer at the top of Rooiberg, but it wasn't there when I went over, so just be careful to the guys who are going to be doing that section in the Heat of the day.

And to the newbys don't forget Cycling Glasses for the Dust and Insects at night.

Just having a look at my Garmin map and distance markers. If the organiser's stats are correct as per the breakdown of water points and checkpoints on the webpage, the Rooiberg waterpoint will be on Rooiberg ascent and not at the start of Rooiberg as in previous years..........???

Technically the water point was at around the 240km last year, this year they say 252km?? I'm not sure now.....

Edited by TrailWarrior

Ride

WP1   36k

63      CP1    27k

90      WP3   27k

128     WP4   36k

152     WP5   26k

183     CP2    31k

216     WP7   33k

252     WP8   36k 

280     CP3    28k

310     WP10 30k

338     WP11 28k

361     Fin      23k

That Rooiberg water point has got me ??  :unsure:  (The place of my 'demons') They hide there!  :ph34r:

Edited by TrailWarrior

Please share your .gpx track you have routed om Garmin... 

Hi, I mapped the route last night on Garmin, and according to that the Rooiberg waterpoint is at +-242km (CP 3 still at 280), so you may just relook your expectations for that stage which is actually 38k's and not 28. Maybe someone who has done before can check.

Just to make sure I have enough water I am thinking of putting an extra empty bottle in my CP2 box to take with for this stretch as I will most probably be there during the hotter times. Will fill it up at WP7 then so that I have 3 bottles with me for this stretch and maybe the stretch after.

Just having a look at my Garmin map and distance markers. If the organiser's stats are correct as per the breakdown of water points and checkpoints on the webpage, the Rooiberg waterpoint will be on Rooiberg ascent and not at the start of Rooiberg as in previous years..........???

Technically the water point was at around the 240km last year, this year they say 252km?? I'm not sure now.....

I never had a Garmin then, I just rode from water point to water point, distance wasn't a issue, only after CP3 then I started wishing the km away.

Ride

WP1   36k

63      CP1    27k

90      WP3   27k

128     WP4   36k

152     WP5   26k

183     CP2    31k

216     WP7   33k

252     WP8   36k 

280     CP3    28k

310     WP10 30k

338     WP11 28k

361     Fin      23k

That Rooiberg water point has got me ??  :unsure:  (The place of my 'demons') They hide there!  :ph34r:

252     WP8   36k 

280     CP3    28k

Thats sounds about right, I filled 2 bottles at 252, but between 252 and 280 I ran out of water, the reason must be Rooiberg climb and after the decend the drag to CP3 it was very hot.

And its a Go! - Medic forms signed off by doc and of medical opinion all is in good health.

....However, for some of us and I know it has been asked, "have I done enough?"........That is always going to be the question.  :whistling:

....However, not much can be done from now and it all gets real, again in 10 days!!!!!!!.......

That is the reality!

:clap: