Cross Cape Cycle Route launched - Plett to Stellenbosch

DuPs

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks , but I had to postpone due to logistics so its still on the cards but only next year 

sorry to hear man, who knows maybe i'll also be ready by then.

Planning a ride for a party of 4/5 next year, Plett to Stellies. 

Would appreciate some logistical intel if you have.

We don't have a sweep so need to get to plett from CT and make our way back unsupported.

So far, the most cost effective scenario seems to be to hire a Kombi and drive up with bikes on 'our' roofrack and 'our' bike rack. Vehicle is dropped off at Beacon Isle. Hire cost around R2500. This seems to be a better bet than both bus or air travel. 

On arrival in plett we box and courier our bike/roof racks back to CT.

We ride light, having couriered spare clothing and bits to every second or third stop. Essentially riding with food, evening clothes and the next day's riding gear.

Sound workable?

Planning a ride for a party of 4/5 next year, Plett to Stellies. 

Would appreciate some logistical intel if you have.

We don't have a sweep so need to get to plett from CT and make our way back unsupported.

So far, the most cost effective scenario seems to be to hire a Kombi and drive up with bikes on 'our' roofrack and 'our' bike rack. Vehicle is dropped off at Beacon Isle. Hire cost around R2500. This seems to be a better bet than both bus or air travel. 

On arrival in plett we box and courier our bike/roof racks back to CT.

We ride light, having couriered spare clothing and bits to every second or third stop. Essentially riding with food, evening clothes and the next day's riding gear.

Sound workable?

You could also take the Baz Bus to Plett - it's a fairly long trip since they stop all the time to pick up and drop off people, but they can carry the bikes and then you don't have to worry about couriering your racks around.  

Why are you couriering clothes to various stops?  If you're wanting to travel light, then just use one set of riding gear - wash it in the evenings and it'll be ready to go in the morning.  Then just have a set of casual clothes for evening time.  Simple.  Getting additional clothes as you go along is surely just going to make you heavier as you go?

• 1 month later...

"Turn right to join Montagu Pass. Tar becomes gravel.

Pay attention as reports of theft/assault on cyclist"

Anybody have more specifics on the theft/assault notice?

Wondering if anyone who's ridden this yet has some photos of the various sections? Considering on slapping some gravel tires on my road bike - just nervous of cracking my frame if there are any crazy technical/rocky sections? I've done plenty riding with it on the dirt roads out in Pretoria East with no problems. Just wondering how this would compare or if I should rather use the MTB for this one?

Thanks!

Wondering if anyone who's ridden this yet has some photos of the various sections? Considering on slapping some gravel tires on my road bike - just nervous of cracking my frame if there are any crazy technical/rocky sections? I've done plenty riding with it on the dirt roads out in Pretoria East with no problems. Just wondering how this would compare or if I should rather use the MTB for this one?

Thanks!

No problem on a road bike with gravel tyres.

There is very little between Plett and Riversdale that I have not driven in a small Avis i10 and don't think that anything thereafter is as bad as Rooiberg pass which is incomparably better that for example Breedts. In fact, it is as good as the dirt road from Hekpoort to the bottom of the Breedts climb, and I have been up, over and back accross Rooiberg on 32mm Schwalbe Sammy Slicks. 

• 4 months later...

i see this has been done as a CHALLENGE now.

FTK - 

Plettenberg bay to Stellenbosch Wesgro MTB 748km in 98 hrs.

i see this has been done as a CHALLENGE now.

FTK - 

link ?

link ?

no link...was just looking at some of the Epic entries

https://www.cape-epic.com/teams/2018/10403/columbia

Best Results:

Munga 2017

360one 2017

Trans Breede Extreme 2017

Attakwas 2017

Cape Epic 2017

Distance for Difference D4D 500km in 24hrs (259km road and 250km MTB) 2017

Various MTB races 2016-2010

Great Divide Extreme 160 miler MTB USA

Denver 100 miler MTB

Nevada 100 miler MTB

Argus; 94.7; Route 66 and Route 99 Stage races, 2012

Amashova 2011

Numerous MTB races before and during above time frames

• 1 year later...

Anyone done this recently? I’m looking at making last minute plans to leave Knysna for Stellenbosch on 18 December, to arrive on 24/25 December. Would be good to have feedback from anyone who has ridden it more recently.

Anyone done this recently? I’m looking at making last minute plans to leave Knysna for Stellenbosch on 18 December, to arrive on 24/25 December. Would be good to have feedback from anyone who has ridden it more recently.

There is not much on the route that changes, it is all public road, but ask away if you have concerns - there are a few of us who know the route well.

I am riding up from Cape Town from 19 December, and know of a few others leaving on 18th doing most of the route. 

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, thinking of riding from Knysna to Stellies in April.

Any recommendations for midway stops /overnight accomodation?

Anyone tried adding in a stop at Prince Albert along the way? I see it's about 72km from Oudtshoorn.

Thanks

Hey guys, thinking of riding from Knysna to Stellies in April.

Any recommendations for midway stops /overnight accomodation?

Anyone tried adding in a stop at Prince Albert along the way? I see it's about 72km from Oudtshoorn.

Thanks

Prince Albert is out of your direct route to Stellies from Knysna but we will welcome you..

Knysna Uniondale

Uniondale to de Rust

DeRust to Prince Albert via Meiringspoort and Middelwater

Prince Albert to Calitzdorp via Swartberg pas and Kruisrivierroad 

Calitzdorp to van Wyksdorp via Rooiberg Pas

Rooiberg LOdge to Riversdal

Swellendam

Greyton

Stellies.

Something like that