[Event] Berg And Bush Great Trek

Events Bot

Event Name: Berg And Bush Great Trek
When: 10 October 2017 - 12 October 2017
Where: Windmill Farm, Northern Drakensberg, Kwazulu-Natal
Category: MTB

The Grindrod Bank Berg & Bush takes mountain bikers from the top of the Drakensberg escarpment near Harrismith and drops down into Kwazulu-Natal negotiating world-famous single track into the bushveld below into Winterton.

Riders camp along the shady banks of the Tugela river at the famous Em'Seni Camp ready to tackle the next two days of spectacular bushveld riding. With farm-style hospitality and an area rich in history, not to mention incredible riding, you're sure to have a proper adventure on your bike!

Free Riding with a less crowded environment for the connoisseur mountain biker. For the adventurous soul who is not in a hurry. Experience the greatness that "PROPER MOUNTAIN BIKING" has to offer: less riders, more chilled. Solo Entries available. R11 500 per team and R5750 per solo rider.

Go to Event Page

• 4 months later...

Me too .... can't wait .

Apparently the Decent is gonna get quite a lot of rain ...

Hope we stay dry !!

Me too .... can't wait .

Apparently the Decent is gonna get quite a lot of rain ...

Hope we stay dry !!

Jip, it looks like we'll be alright with only some rain predicted for Monday.

The last couple of years have been dry and dusty, but my impression is that the routes shouldn't be impacted that much by rain and should dry out fairly quickly.

Looks like we're not going to suffer in the heat this year!

I've got an insurance risk now....

I signed up for the transfer of my vehicle from the start to the race village. The organisers say it is at my own risk and my insurers won't cover me as well due to various reasons out of my control. 

Anyone else with the same problem or a solution? 

I've got an insurance risk now....

I signed up for the transfer of my vehicle from the start to the race village. The organisers say it is at my own risk and my insurers won't cover me as well due to various reasons out of my control. 

Anyone else with the same problem or a solution? 

Might be a solution for you...IF YOU COULD GET A LIFT BACK TO THE START (Windmill Farm) FROM EM'SENI the day of registration - drop your bike at the start (registration), take all your goodies needed for the next day and overnight bag to your tent. Take your vehicle to Em'seni and get the lift back to the start...not sure how many people do the trip between Em'seni and the Start?

Might also be a solution for the organizers to have a bus / combi in the future doing this and running back and forth, but the R450 raised goes to a good cause, so not sure if that would change for a while...

Might be a solution for you...IF YOU COULD GET A LIFT BACK TO THE START (Windmill Farm) FROM EM'SENI the day of registration - drop your bike at the start (registration), take all your goodies needed for the next day and overnight bag to your tent. Take your vehicle to Em'seni and get the lift back to the start...not sure how many people do the trip between Em'seni and the Start?

Might also be a solution for the organizers to have a bus / combi in the future doing this and running back and forth, but the R450 raised goes to a good cause, so not sure if that would change for a while...

That is a very good idea but I don't know anyone and I've already paid the R450 (no problem with supporting the charities or potentially writing it off now). We are 2 guys so we would need a lift for 2 with bikes & bags. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who could help and the event is around the corner.

Your solution for the future events is actually a good idea as well as already your overnight bag comes on a truck to Em'seni, not in your vehicle, so you don't have to worry about that. I'm going to share that with them if you don't mind.

My insurers say as it is a complete stranger driving the vehicle, he only got his drivers license in December '16 and they have no idea of his insurance history, they are therefore refusing to cover.

That is a very good idea but I don't know anyone and I've already paid the R450 (no problem with supporting the charities or potentially writing it off now). We are 2 guys so we would need a lift for 2 with bikes & bags. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who could help and the event is around the corner.

Your solution for the future events is actually a good idea as well as already your overnight bag comes on a truck to Em'seni, not in your vehicle, so you don't have to worry about that. I'm going to share that with them if you don't mind.

My insurers say as it is a complete stranger driving the vehicle, he only got his drivers license in December '16 and they have no idea of his insurance history, they are therefore refusing to cover.

You only need someone to give YOU ALONE a lift (from Em'seni to Windmill Farm), because your bike and bags would already be at the Registration point / Windmill farm.

I know it might not be an option IF YOU CAN NOT get a lift from Emseni to Windmill, but if possible you could try the following steps - or maybe the organizers could have the Church plan this in the future and still make some money as a fundraiser with a Kombi or a small bus and travel back and forth 2 or 3 times:

1. Drive to Windmill Farm / start / registration.

2. Register and get goodies / bike number / etc.

3. Drop off bikes at safe and secure BIKE PARK (Windmill Farm)

4. Take overnight bags / clothes / Gu's / water bottles, etc. etc. to overnight tent (Windmill Farm).

5. Drive vehicle from Windmill Farm / start / registration to Em'seni (+/- 50-60km's).

6. Get a lift BACK to start / Windmill farm via Kombi / Bus / Lift (just you, because bikes and bags are already at Windmill Farm).

7. Put your overnight bag on the truck next morning.

8. Get your your bike and enjoy the ride.

9. Done and dusted.

10. If this fails...drive with Buddy's vehicle...LOL  :clap:

Sure...you are welcome to discuss this with the organizers / or make a suggestion for future B&B races...I am SURE you are not the only one having this issue!!!

Good luck and enjoy the race  :thumbup:  that FIRST DAY is AWESOME...pace yourself, can be a LONG day in the saddle!!!

Edited by CASSIE1975

You only need someone to give YOU ALONE a lift (from Em'seni to Windmill Farm), because your bike and bags would already be at the Registration point / Windmill farm.

I know it might not be an option IF YOU CAN NOT get a lift from Emseni to Windmill, but if possible you could try the following steps - or maybe the organizers could have the Church plan this in the future and still make some money as a fundraiser with a Kombi or a small bus and travel back and forth 2 or 3 times:

1. Drive to Windmill Farm / start / registration.

2. Register and get goodies / bike number / etc.

3. Drop off bikes at safe and secure BIKE PARK (Windmill Farm)

4. Take overnight bags / clothes / Gu's / water bottles, etc. etc. to overnight tent (Windmill Farm).

5. Drive vehicle from Windmill Farm / start / registration to Em'seni (+/- 50-60km's).

6. Get a lift BACK to start / Windmill farm via Kombi / Bus / Lift (just you, because bikes and bags are already at Windmill Farm).

7. Put your overnight bag on the truck next morning.

8. Get your your bike and enjoy the ride.

9. Done and dusted.

10. If this fails...drive with Buddy's vehicle...LOL  :clap:

Sure...you are welcome to discuss this with the organizers / or make a suggestion for future B&B races...I am SURE you are not the only one having this issue!!!

Good luck and enjoy the race  :thumbup:  that FIRST DAY is AWESOME...pace yourself, can be a LONG day in the saddle!!!

Thanks Cassie. I sent the organiser of the shuttle service an email with your suggestion.

If anyone reads this and is driving from Emseni to Windmill farm please DM me.