Riding a mountain bike in a Road Race?

Preasan

Hello Hubbers,

I have been trying to figure out what the general consensus is on riding a mountain bike in a road race.

So I am still new to cycling, I recently bought a Titan 29er. I have been hitting the trails and I'm really enjoying it.

However, I would really like to train up to ride the 94.7 this year, it's just one of those things that I want to do.

I would also look at doing a shorter road race for some experience before I attempt the 94.

So would it be alright for me to enter my bike as is?

And would a whole lot of training on trails be alright to build up my endurance?

I couldn't find any posts on the hub with any advice on this.

Any advice will be appreciated. :D

Also, is it true that it is better to ride with a charity group as a newbie as you would start at an earlier time?

It is allowed at this stage and plenty of people do it. As long as you do not ride in the elite bunches, you should be fine. 

The trails will give you the strength that you need. But can you cycle at a steady pace for 4-5 hours? 

If you are afraid put slicks on. I prefer knobblies, slicks just feel wrong to me. It works for some and for others not. 

Just make your tires a bit harder for road riding. I asked the same question when I started out. 

The answer was simple. It will take the same effort, but the road bike will get you there quicker. 

You can absolutely ride a mountain bike BUT remember that the additional weight and extra resistance of the tyres make it harder. You can mitigated this by putting on smooth "slick" tyres which makes quite a difference. But many people ride and enjoy the race on a MTB.

What you said about riding with a charity to get an earlier start time is valid. My advice is that unless you can get a start time before around 8am, think carefully about riding as you could be one of those poor suckers riding through the heat of the day suffering to cross the line in 6 plus hours. That's miserable and will probably put you off riding for life!

Ideally you should start getting fit early, ride some shorter rides, get your fitness going and get seeded. Then you can get an earlier start time and your body is able to cover 100km in under 4 hours. You can do much or even all your training off road but ideally some on-road rides will be a good idea to get your legs used to the stamina required for on road-riding. It's not quite the same as the trail.

If you get that right then the ride is great! Tough but not a sufferfest and you'll be coming back for more.

To achieve this may mean considering only riding the race next year and focusing on getting seeded this year.

But do NOT do what many people do which is pitch up unprepared on a heavy bike with knobblies & gel seat cover with a 9.30am start time and Oros in your juice bottle. You'll hate it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Edited by Connection

The only thing that will prepare you for a road race is to train and race on the road. The upside is that you'll be a lot stronger on the trails too. Trail riding is typically too inconsistent to prepare you for the surges in a road race (the kind that make your spit taste like blood). 

You'll also need a road bike if you want to hang with the bunch. You can put slicks on your Titan but you'll run out of gears. 

If you just want to finish, your bike will be fine. Just up your milage and do some fun ride road events to get comfortable in the bunch. 

You can absolutely ride a mountain bike BUT remember that the additional weight and extra resistance of the tyres make it harder. You can mitigated this by putting on smooth "slick" tyres which makes quite a difference. But many people ride and enjoy the race on a MTB.

What you said about riding with a charity to get an earlier start time is valid. My advice is that unless you can get a start time before around 8am, think carefully about riding as you could be one of those poor suckers riding through the heat of the day suffering to cross the line in 6 plus hours. That's miserable and will probably put you off riding for life!

Ideally you should start getting fit early, ride some shorter rides, get your fitness going and get seeded. Then you can get an earlier start time and your body is able to cover 100km in under 4 hours. You can do much or even all your training off road but ideally some on-road rides will be a good idea to get your legs used to the stamina required for on road-riding. It's not quite the same as the trail.

If you get that right then the ride is great! Tough but not a sufferfest and you'll be coming back for more.

To achieve this may mean considering only riding the race next year and focusing on getting seeded this year.

But do NOT do what many people do which is pitch up unprepared on a heavy bike with knobblies & gel seat cover with a 9.30am start time and Oros in your juice bottle. You'll hate it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapa

true story. 

Sure, no worries. Ultimately 94.7 and Argus are fun-rides for the majority of riders.

Fun as in fun day out coupled with pain if you're unprepared/untrained or riding above your capabilities. Pain also for those racing snakes as they chase their new PB.

Above recommendations are applicable - all depends what you want to achieve.

I would suggest, as it is your first outing:

* use current bike and set-up (slicks not necessary). You will work harder than roadies....

* inflate tyres to just under recommended max (check tyre) say about 3.5 bar or closer to 4. This decreases friction

* If you have suspension setting, then you can lock-out too (effectively as road bikes ride).

* Trail riding, especially climbs will give you good strength - but do some road rides (+-50km) and try to do even power output for entire time (possibly push a bit up hills).

* Enjoy. Next year you can go for PB's

One hubber mentioned don't enter elites - generally true, especially as a beginner. But if you can compete with the pace, know how to ride in a bunch, earned your seeding....then go for it.

I did the 94.7 last year on my mtb (hardtail). 3 bar tires and locked out fork. Did it in 4:10.

After doing a couple of races this year with a borrowed old school road bike I would not do a road race with a mtb again though...

Don't be the knob who tries to make a point of how strong you are, by killing yourself in the batches to stay with the bunch..........................

I am amazed on the strength of some of these mtb okes on knobblies in road races, you going by at 40km/h and then you hear this roaring tyre sound and a dude on an MTB is with you.

only advice in the pack is just remember that the MTB tends to 'come back' when you stop pedalling due to the high friction and lack of aerodynamics. This could rattle okes behind you, so don't stop pedalling :thumbup:

Sure, no worries. Ultimately 94.7 and Argus are fun-rides for the majority of riders.

Fun as in fun day out coupled with pain if you're unprepared/untrained or riding above your capabilities. Pain also for those racing snakes as they chase their new PB.

Above recommendations are applicable - all depends what you want to achieve.

I would suggest, as it is your first outing:

* use current bike and set-up (slicks not necessary). You will work harder than roadies....

* inflate tyres to just under recommended max (check tyre) say about 3.5 bar or closer to 4. This decreases friction

* If you have suspension setting, then you can lock-out too (effectively as road bikes ride).

* Trail riding, especially climbs will give you good strength - but do some road rides (+-50km) and try to do even power output for entire time (possibly push a bit up hills).

* Enjoy. Next year you can go for PB's

One hubber mentioned don't enter elites - generally true, especially as a beginner. But if you can compete with the pace, know how to ride in a bunch, earned your seeding....then go for it.

Yes this is my current plan, train up a bit then ride with a friend at the cradle and do the +-50s. But yes the goal is just to finish. 

Hello Hubbers,

I have been trying to figure out what the general consensus is on riding a mountain bike in a road race.

So I am still new to cycling, I recently bought a Titan 29er. I have been hitting the trails and I'm really enjoying it.

However, I would really like to train up to ride the 94.7 this year, it's just one of those things that I want to do.

I would also look at doing a shorter road race for some experience before I attempt the 94.

So would it be alright for me to enter my bike as is?

And would a whole lot of training on trails be alright to build up my endurance?

I couldn't find any posts on the hub with any advice on this.

Any advice will be appreciated. :D

Also, is it true that it is better to ride with a charity group as a newbie as you would start at an earlier time?

I did my very first 947 on a Titan 29er in 2013. If you aren't going for a sub-3 or even a sub-3h30 you can comfortably get it done in a respectable time. You'll see people on route doing it on much bigger modes of transport.

HOWEVER, I do think mounties should have their own starting group. 

I am amazed on the strength of some of these mtb okes on knobblies in road races, you going by at 40km/h and then you hear this roaring tyre sound and a dude on an MTB is with you.

only advice in the pack is just remember that the MTB tends to 'come back' when you stop pedalling due to the high friction and lack of aerodynamics. This could rattle okes behind you, so don't stop pedalling :thumbup:

These are the knobs i am talking about........stupid, dangerous and fool of ego

MTB on road races can be annoying. 

They take up too much space with their wide handlebars.

Their tyres kick up grit from the road. 

Other than that, whatever. Raced with a MTBer in the group, he did a great job up until the pace hit 45kmh. He spun out!