Hi all, 

Please can you help me. I have replaced almost everything that can make a cracking noise like this but still it won't go away. Does someone maybe know the possible reasons for this sound in my video above.

I replaced the following already - 

Sprocket

Rear Derailer

Chain

BB

You would really make my year if you can give me the solution because I don't know anymore.

Kind regards

Jaco 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be your seat/seatpost. I had a similar creaking noise and it went away after cleaning the saddle rails and seatpost.

It might be your seat/seatpost. I had a similar creaking noise and it went away after cleaning the saddle rails and seatpost.

I also thought about the possibility of the seat/seat post but it still goes on while I stand and pedal?

Stop replacing stuff and take your bike to a good mechanic - that's what an LBS is for. It's probably something that can be fixed with a dab of lube in the right place. 

And yes, you will pay good money - not for the dab of lube but the experience to know where to put it. Worth every cent.

Stop replacing stuff and take your bike to a good mechanic - that's what an LBS is for. It's probably something that can be fixed with a dab of lube in the right place. 

And yes, you will pay good money - not for the dab of lube but the experience to know where to put it. Worth every cent.

Any recommendations and maybe the price class this can be in?

Also the parts that was replaced needed replacement, so it was not completely useless.

Loose cassette?

Thanks, did not check that yet. Will definitely be a question I ask the mechanic when he checks it out for me again in the morning.

Agreed, take it to a bike shop to have it serviced properly.

Mark's Workshop is certainly my recommendation for this.

My brand new TREK bike had a horrible creaking sound ... they gave it a proper going over and now it is quiet.

The seat post is a know culprit - even when you stand the frame flex and causes some movement around the seat post.

The bottom bracket is often linked to these creaks ... and so the list goes on and on ....

Thus book it in for a major service and get it sorted.  :)

Do you have an aluminum freebody?

If so, remove the cassette and apply some copper slip to the freebody.

The metal against the Aluminum causes a creaking noise. 

Looking at the video, it sounds though something's going to let go quite soon! Cassette check, as well as tightness/condition of free hub would be my first check, then wheel bearings while you're. "there", then chain ring to crank fit, just for peace of mind for that gnarly noise! Check chain/fd/rd fit and function, and for interference when pedalling.

If you don't feel capable, then your LBS for a strip and inspect deal.

Good luck, that noise would keep me off the bike!

To me it sounds like it happens with each power stroke. So it's possible for it to be frame flex around the seatpost, but more likely the freehub or bearings.

Are those cone hubs? If so give them a service, fresh grease and check if your cones are pitted and make sure the hub is correctly tightened.

i was fedup with mine (replaced all bearings on bike and even went riding without seat post) and it ended up being a loose freehub body...

Agreed, take it to a bike shop to have it serviced properly.

Mark's Workshop is certainly my recommendation for this.

My brand new TREK bike had a horrible creaking sound ... they gave it a proper going over and now it is quiet.

The seat post is a know culprit - even when you stand the frame flex and causes some movement around the seat post.

The bottom bracket is often linked to these creaks ... and so the list goes on and on ....

Thus book it in for a major service and get it sorted.   :)

Thanks for the reply. Surely gives me a good idea from where I can start.

Also will give Mike's Workshop a try when I am going around the Cape suburbs again. :)

Looking at the video, it sounds though something's going to let go quite soon! Cassette check, as well as tightness/condition of free hub would be my first check, then wheel bearings while you're. "there", then chain ring to crank fit, just for peace of mind for that gnarly noise! Check chain/fd/rd fit and function, and for interference when pedalling.

If you don't feel capable, then your LBS for a strip and inspect deal.

Good luck, that noise would keep me off the bike!

Thank you for your reply will be sure to let that also get checked with all the other comments possible problems today. Taking it to my LBS today. :)

To me it sounds like it happens with each power stroke. So it's possible for it to be frame flex around the seatpost, but more likely the freehub or bearings.

Are those cone hubs? If so give them a service, fresh grease and check if your cones are pitted and make sure the hub is correctly tightened.

Taking it to my LBS today with all the possible reasons. Thank you for your comment. :)