Dropper post...Internal, or External???

CASSIE1975

Please help...not sure what to do?

I would like to get a Dropper Post (Internally), but my Merida with a 27,2mm seat post diameter and the Big Nine ALO frame only has so many holes to run the cables internal and I would have to run my Rear derailleur cable externally to open up a hole in the frame to run the Dropper Post cables.

- will also have to take off my crank and BB to run the cable internally, as the Merida with the 27,2mm seat post has minimal space inside the frame to run the cables in the frame and around the BB up to the seat (then fit the BB and crank again).

- this "internal" dropper post has the correct "minimum height" for my saddle = 173mm, my saddle at the moment is 170-171mm, so the extra 2-3mm should not relate to a big problem.

- only issue is cable routing and to get around the BB inside the frame, also need to run the RD cables externally.

The External Dropper Post would not have any issues regarding routing cables and rerouting my RD cable, BUT the Minimum height on the seat post length goes up to 183mm and THIS is my issue.

The extra 12-13mm on the seat post would be a problem and should cause extra pain, etc. etc.

Do I just go the "INTERNAL" dropper route and bite my lip and do the extra work, as this has more hassles and issues regarding cables, etc...or do you guys and gals maybe have another idea / suggestion?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Drill a hole , many people have done this with great success .

It WILL void your warranty tho

Drill a hole , many people have done this with great success .

It WILL void your warranty tho

Thanx never thought of that, but would like to avoid that...bike is not a high value item, but would still like to have the warranty in tact if something happens.

Thanx never thought of that, but would like to avoid that...bike is not a high value item, but would still like to have the warranty in tact if something happens.

How old is the frame?

I drilled a hole in my Silverback frame and installed a Lyne internal dropper which works brilliantly and I am very happy. Silverback was great with advice actually when I asked for help, and the bike and frame are fine, just drill carefully and do a bit of homework first. I'm not worried about warranty though... I just wanna ride and have the best riding experience  :drool:

I don't think there is any inherent disadvantages with either. Internal just looks better.

But some things to bear in mind with an external:

• Depending on the design means slack in the cable when dropped, this extra cable can be a nuisance unless you have a way for it to slide cleanly next to the frame. 
  • Secondly, this sliding cable could cause additional frame rub..
  • However adjusting and/or bleeding an external is normally much easier!
Edited by NukeproofPeanut

How old is the frame?

See Merida offer a lifetime warranty but excludes the following.

• Normal wear and tear
  • Damage caused by accidents, neglect or abuse
  • Improper assembly
  • Improper follow up maintenance
  • Modification or alteration of the frame or original components
  • Direct, Incidental or consequential damages, including damages for personal injuries, property damage or economic loss
  • Labour charges for part replcement or changeover
  • Transport charges for replacement parts

I drilled a hole in my Silverback frame and installed a Lyne internal dropper which works brilliantly and I am very happy. Silverback was great with advice actually when I asked for help, and the bike and frame are fine, just drill carefully and do a bit of homework first. I'm not worried about warranty though... I just wanna ride and have the best riding experience  :drool:

Also looking at the LYNE Internal Dropper  :thumbup:

In which area of your bike did you drill the hole? If possible maybe send me a picture over the weekend?

The biggest issue with the "EXTERNAL" is that my seat post height would change from 170mm to 183mm (minimum height as per Lyne) and that would have significant issues with body and knee height over the pedals and as a result surely extra pain in areas of the body.

The "INTERNAL" dropper has a minimum height of 173mm, which has a minimal change to my seat height  :thumbup:  so I guess that would be the only way to go  :ph34r:  now to find a way to route the cables inside my frame  :clap:

See Merida offer a lifetime warranty but excludes the following.

• Normal wear and tear
  • Damage caused by accidents, neglect or abuse
  • Improper assembly
  • Improper follow up maintenance
  • Modification or alteration of the frame or original components
  • Direct, Incidental or consequential damages, including damages for personal injuries, property damage or economic loss
  • Labour charges for part replcement or changeover
  • Transport charges for replacement parts

Thanx Gummibear...I would like to keep my warranty, so I guess the best would be to route my RD externally and then use the hole from the RD to route the Internal dropper.

I prefer external as it is easier to setup.. but I went internal as it looks so much better and it just requires a slow carefully angled drill with the smallest right sized drill bit. Was very easy to do when you know what to do. Also when I was looking at external, the cable would have moved with the seat which I didn't want (within my price range of Lyne/Rapide) but now you get ones where the cable doesn't move with the seat which seems better. 

I'd go external at this point, unless you feel the need to go internal due to looks or your derailleur or some other reason. If you still want the pic then PM me your cell number so I can take pics of my Lyne and whatsapp it to you today.

Also looking at the LYNE Internal Dropper  :thumbup:

In which area of your bike did you drill the hole? If possible maybe send me a picture over the weekend?

The biggest issue with the "EXTERNAL" is that my seat post height would change from 170mm to 183mm (minimum height as per Lyne) and that would have significant issues with body and knee height over the pedals and as a result surely extra pain in areas of the body.

The "INTERNAL" dropper has a minimum height of 173mm, which has a minimal change to my seat height  :thumbup:  so I guess that would be the only way to go  :ph34r:  now to find a way to route the cables inside my frame  :clap:

Simple solution that keeps the internal routing and doesn't ruin your warranty - go 1x.  Then route the dropper cable where the FD cable normally goes.

Problem solved.

Simple solution that keeps the internal routing and doesn't ruin your warranty - go 1x.  Then route the dropper cable where the FD cable normally goes.

Problem solved.

I might just think about this...good suggestion.

I have the M8000 XT crank (2x11 speed) can I convert that into a x1 crank and take off the 2 blades and bolt on a single blade?

Or do I need a whole new crank to go x1 ?

I prefer external as it is easier to setup.. but I went internal as it looks so much better and it just requires a slow carefully angled drill with the smallest right sized drill bit. Was very easy to do when you know what to do. Also when I was looking at external, the cable would have moved with the seat which I didn't want (within my price range of Lyne/Rapide) but now you get ones where the cable doesn't move with the seat which seems better. 

I'd go external at this point, unless you feel the need to go internal due to looks or your derailleur or some other reason. If you still want the pic then PM me your cell number so I can take pics of my Lyne and whatsapp it to you today.

I would not think twice and just go External, because the new Lyne external droppers (27.2mm) with the new cable (that does not move with the seat) will arrive mid June, BUT the minimum seat height is the problem with my setup and my seat would go up by +/- 13mm and I can not change the height of the External dropper...this is my main problem and would cause knee / back and other body pains...I am sure of that.

so maybe internal is your answer.. seems you need to work out what is best for you at this point overall...

I would not think twice and just go External, because the new Lyne external droppers (27.2mm) with the new cable (that does not move with the seat) will arrive mid June, BUT the minimum seat height is the problem with my setup and my seat would go up by +/- 13mm and I can not change the height of the External dropper...this is my main problem and would cause knee / back and other body pains...I am sure of that.

Edited by scubes

I might just think about this...good suggestion.

I have the M8000 XT crank (2x11 speed) can I convert that into a x1 crank and take off the 2 blades and bolt on a single blade?

Or do I need a whole new crank to go x1 ?

You don't need to get a new crank, there are plenty of single ring NW options available for that crank.  

I don't understand your minimum seat height issue.  The minimum marking on the seatpost is the least amount of seatpost that needs to go into the frame - if that's too long for you then just stick more of it into the frame to get the correct height.  Am I missing something here?