What goes on in your head on a long ride?

Blackheart

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thread and some interesting replies.  For me, once I settle into a steady pace, the revolutions through the pedals becomes my tempo, and I naturally build on and layer that rhythm with various instruments to set a basic musical pattern - a backing track if you like.  

Once that's in place I just relax and let it take me anywhere (my mind not the bike) and all kinds of things that have happened throughout the week, month or my life creep in and filter through the music, giving me an unhindered platform to digest everything and think about the future.  I find it very therapeutic and refreshingly liberating.  Strange I know, but that's just what happens.

The meditative state/right brained thing happens to me a lot especially on road rides when you are repeating the same rhythms.

What i think happens is something like the left brain release control, right brain takes over - you are listening to breathing and cranks and then next thing you know you have done 30 kms and are inside your own head deep in thought about some events in your life.

Very much what i find.

In stressful situations in my life i can honestly say that cycling was the only release i had.

Sometimes the harder the ride the more likely it was to blot out the pain, almost like an escape from reality for a temporary period where you can look down on the events that are worrying you from an objective distance whilst pedaling along.

It was why i often rode alone. Bit like a one person therapy session.

Depending on how life is treating me, at the time, I either take problems or issues 'on' the bike with me to work through, or alternatively leave them in the car, and go out with 'nothing between my ears', and just absorb what the ride offers up. Eg admire the view, get lost in the numbers or the feeling in my legs, realise that no-one else is experiencing 'my' moment-in-time and how lucky I am etc.

I prefer the latter approach, which probably takes me back to when I was a kid and that's what I used to do, get on my bike and see where the ride takes me, with very little plan in place. Back then, a banana and a bottle of water was all that I needed.

Strangely I find short rides more suitable for problem-solving. Maybe it's because of less opportunity for procrastination?

I judge. Everyone. And everything.

Whys that person so slow? How is that person so fast? What does that person do to afford such an expensive bike? Kits, helmets, stupid fruit picture socks, playing music, cars, pedestrians, animals, potholes, leaky bottles..

its exhausting..

I have recently started thinking about cycling and business and there are obviously many comparisons to be made. Teamwork, letting people use their strengths at the right time, slip-streaming, soft pedalling, one person getting the glory when actually the whole team contributed, communication, helping team members out when they are struggling, pacing, energy, maximum effort, recovery, etc. etc. If you spend some time thinking about it, there are lots and lots. I haven't actually done anything with all these pearls of wisdom but they keep me busy for a while. I also think a lot about how lucky I am to be able to do something I love so much, that I have health and opportunity and a great bicycle.

I often have a 'default helmet song' which goes around and around and which I can't get rid of until I hear something else to replace it. Unfortunately it's often something naff but catchy. As soon as I turn for home a bit of Simon and Garfunkel 'Homeward bound'. Lame I know. And then there's thoughts of the state of the road, real taxis and mom's taxis, idiots on their cell phones, what I would do to them all if I had some super power like the ability to make their tyres explode with my mind. Then a bit more about my ultimate super power.... and on and on and on....

I often have a 'default helmet song' which goes around and around

Ironically, I had this in my head on the bike this morning...

I think I can I think I can I think I can... funny enough I solve the worlds problems and think how lucky I am. And then memories pop into my head of things from long ago etc.

I sometimes play chess or D&D just to while away the time.

I argue with myself, about work, any mistakes I have made, diet, smoking etc. Also try to say hi to as many cyclists/runners I can then inadvertently swear at the ones who don't say hi back and promise myself to never do it again and then 2 minutes later the next one...think about upgrades on my bike, house, life and the last 5 kays its just about getting home. Really hit bliss when nothing goes on in the head, that's really great. And I often sing out loud especially on lekker singletrack

Just the quiet of an open Karoo road.

I like to look and listen and observe the detail.

As the sun rises, one can sometimes see things like field mice sunning themselves in low scrub. Or hear the Korhaans calling. Or just the silence.

I want to thank you and curse you at the same time... well described there

I judge. Everyone. And everything.

Whys that person so slow? How is that person so fast? What does that person do to afford such an expensive bike? Kits, helmets, stupid fruit picture socks, playing music, cars, pedestrians, animals, potholes, leaky bottles..

its exhausting..

Best response so far...

Best response so far...

That signature of yours. It's a tad OTT/garish/brash, don't you think?