Installing External Di2 battery onto new gen frame (internal only)

r0adrunner

Hi Guys

I'm looking for a bit of advice;

I've got an "old" 10 speed Ultegra Di2 groupset which has an external battery but I have the new Giant TCR frame which does not have anywhere to hold the external battery, it can only support the new generation internal Di2 battery.

I am sure someone out there has made this work!?

Any comment will be appreciated :)

Doesn't the old mount have an option for extending down the down tube using the bottle cage bolts?

Pretty sure I have one of those mounts lying around from an old bike...let me have a look tonight.

Hi Friends

I believe my LBS looked into this option, but there was an issue with getting the wire into frame? Not quite sure?

Appreciated the responses!

Hi Friends

I believe my LBS looked into this option, but there was an issue with getting the wire into frame? Not quite sure?

Drill the front derailleur hole slightly bigger so that you can run 2 Di2 cables into the frame, the battery cable to the junction box beneath the BB and the FD cable back from the junction box

Hi Friends

True this...

So option 2, purchase an internal battery and wiring kit?

• 10 months later...

hi Road runner.... busy going through the same process, did you manage to find a solution that worked for you? any response would be greatly appreciated

Nothing a drill can't fix. Hope the frame is out of warranty.

Issue with replacing the wiring kit and battery for internal version is that the 1st gen (and therefor 10spd) Di2 has different port/ ends than the newer internal wires.