Zwift cheap n quick

zmc99

Tacx satori. Measures power which all Zwift needs (together with your weight) to calculate your virtual speed. The satori does not automatically adjust resistance though, that you do manually using a handlebar lever.

I bought a satori specifically so I could use Zwift and it works great. The resistance adjustment would be nice but I just use my gears mostly and leave the setting alone. Most Zwift events (races, training rides) are on flat courses anyway.

So with the Satori I will pedal the same even when there is a hill on the Zwift course?  Sorry for the stupid question, never used a trainer of Zwift before.

What can you do with this trainer to make pedaling harder when hitting a hill? 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Normal Giant Mag Trainer (Blue) and a Garmin Edge 500

Any luck for me?

Depends. What do you want from your indoor setup? I have a pro mate who uses the same trainer you do and a crank based PM for what he calls "sub threshold" workouts. For anything higher he goes hill climbing. 

So guys, Our Shipment of the Bkool indoor trainers arrived, Now just waiting for customs to clear...

So if you are looking for a cheap set-up have a look at the Bkool Smart Go

http://asgthestore.com/bkool-smart-go-pre-order

Gives Power,Cadence, Speed AND it includes a ANT dongle so no need to go splash 700-1000 Bucks for a dongle. 

So with the Satori I will pedal the same even when there is a hill on the Zwift course?  Sorry for the stupid question, never used a trainer of Zwift before.

What can you do with this trainer to make pedaling harder when hitting a hill?

Yes you will pedal the same unless you adjust the resistance manually. You can adjust the resistance manually using the handlebar lever. When I ride the long climbs on the Zwift island I put the resistance in max, choose a gear and climb on.

For bang for buck training I find the Zwift races and training sessions the best. During these I don't bother adjusting resistance as I am usually bleeding out of my ears, throwing up and can't see straight, but anyway most of these are on flat courses.

The below little goodie is arriving in 2 weeks, dual ANT+ / BLE speed or cadence sensor. If running Zwift on iOS there is no need for an ANT+ USB. Bluetooth (BLE) is supported.

If running Zwift on PC then follow the suggestions as per the video above.

https://www.bicyclepower.co.za/product/powertap-magnetless-speed-or-cadence-sensor/

Co-incidentally my speed/cadence purchase with my powerbeam ages ago broke. What will the retail be on these?

• 2 months later...

I have a Bryton rider 20 GPS computer with a dual Bryton cadence and speed ant+ sensor, can this device be used for zwifting...I want to try it so I can upgrade if I like the experience...

And also I saw online an ant+ dongle, are all dongles compatible with any computer?

TIA

For those who would like to give zwift a go, Cyclezone, in Rosebank (Gauteng) will host an open day in their new premises (Cnr Oxford and Jellicoe) on Saturday 11 November 2017.

You can bring your own bike, there will be kickrs on hand and there should be some studio bikes to use as well.

The day should kick off around 6:30 am

• 2 weeks later...

I had some crazy power readings for me on Zwift this morning, so likely time to calibrate again. Just to confirm, not possible to do it for the powerbeam pro in Zwift? Need to use the Rouvy app?

I had some crazy power readings for me on Zwift this morning, so likely time to calibrate again. Just to confirm, not possible to do it for the powerbeam pro in Zwift? Need to use the Rouvy app?

Not sure on the Powerbeam but to my knowledge Zwift does not do any "in-game" calibration. I need to use the Wahoo app for my Kickr so assume that it would be the same for the Powerbeam.