YT Jeffsy 29 Owners

tcarthew

Hi,

I'm looking for YT Jeffsy owners, at the moment, I have one on loan for a test ride. I am in the market for a trail bike specifically, so this is kinda "the" bike for that style of riding it seems.

However, sizing of these things is a pain in the ass. I've noticed (and maybe it's just in the western cape), that arranging demo bikes is not as easy as one would of hope, so it seems bike shops expect you to be happy with a guess based on a chart.

According to YT, at 1.89m I could go L or XL. The demo bike I have is a L and it feels pretty good so far (which is 10 minutes!), but I can't really compare it to an XL at this point.

What I'd like to know from the Jeffsy owners is:

1. How tall are you in metres & which size did you buy?

2. How has the bike been for you since you've had it?

It would be great to hear from the AL owners here, most reviews nowadays always seem to deal with the higher end carbon frames & that's great & gives an indication, but some of us poor folk would love to have some proper reviews around the things the average joe can buy.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth: I reviewed the high-end carbon Jeffsy in a large. I'm 1,93m. I would have preferred an XL but I fit ok (just squeezing enough leg reach out of the seat post) and had lots of fun on the bike.

I'm 180cm and got a large. More important than height thought is probably inseam and then desired reach.

I don't specifically know my inseam but my BB centre to saddle height is 74cm and with the 150mm dropper I can get 74cm only if the dropper is 2mm above the saddle clamp. Any shorter and I would have had to look at the medium.

I've done a 54km ride on mine so comments are limited. Coming off a 650 Anthem 1 - downhills are definitely faster and I managed to match most segments on the ups around Modderfontein, seated climbing is quite decent, without lockout on the AL there is some bob while standing. I really enjoyed the ride and I'm looking forward to pushing my skills up to match the bike.

@1.79, I went with a large and have about 2cm of seatpost out. Went with the larger frame and it seems fine so far. Like Nakoota, I'm on the cusp of M/L.

I am 1.86m and have a large. I would prefer an XL. The bike is very good for jumping and very manouverable. Climbing is not that great. It bobs alot (i have the base model without lockout).I think it suits "good" riders more than the average joe.It's a great bike but it needs to be ridden hard. Won't recommend it for the average 40km Tygerberg Trail loop rider.

For what it's worth: I reviewed the high-end carbon Jeffsy in a large. I'm 1,93m. I would have preferred an XL but I fit ok (just squeezing enough leg reach out of the seat post) and had lots of fun on the bike.

Thanks, that's perfect. Playing around with the saddle height & for the most part it's working. Will try give it a proper ride tomorrow afternoon & the weekend. I can see how this bike can be fun, it's on the heavy side, but on the bike it doesn't really seem to be much of a factor really. I suppose I'll find out on the first climb.

I'm 180cm and got a large. More important than height thought is probably inseam and then desired reach.

I don't specifically know my inseam but my BB centre to saddle height is 74cm and with the 150mm dropper I can get 74cm only if the dropper is 2mm above the saddle clamp. Any shorter and I would have had to look at the medium.

I've done a 54km ride on mine so comments are limited. Coming off a 650 Anthem 1 - downhills are definitely faster and I managed to match most segments on the ups around Modderfontein, seated climbing is quite decent, without lockout on the AL there is some bob while standing. I really enjoyed the ride and I'm looking forward to pushing my skills up to match the bike.

I have the AL one to demo, so it has 3 modes, pedal, lock & open. I'm not the lightest guy around, but when it's in pedal mode, there's very little bob & lock locks it as much as you can expect. Quite similar in that respect to my vipa I had previously.

My inseam is about 87cm, and tweaking the saddle a bit has made peddling more comfortable, but I'll need to tweak more I imagine once I get it onto a proper trail.

Thanks to all for the input so far  :thumbup:

I am 1.86m and have a large. I would prefer an XL. The bike is very good for jumping and very manouverable. Climbing is not that great. It bobs alot (i have the base model without lockout).I think it suits "good" riders more than the average joe.It's a great bike but it needs to be ridden hard. Won't recommend it for the average 40km Tygerberg Trail loop rider.

Thanks, that makes sense, I spend a lot of time on the tygerberg trails, just because I live here. I'd say I have a little more skill than average joe & road my previous bike (vipa) aggressive enough that I felt I need a "little more bike", especially one I could grow into skill wise. 

The AL one has the lockouts which improve peddling enough to justify tygerberg trails ;-)

Interesting that you say you'd prefer an XL, would you mind sharing your reasoning? Or would it be purely personal preference?

The YT has a small feel to it. If you are around my lenght I would look at the XL (body proportions obviously also factor). I have noticed that due to the slack head angle when I raise my bar the reach drops alot. Or I have a vivid imagination

1.92cm

XL

Have changed many parts on the bike. Wheels, brakes, bars, suspension (front and rear) and now have the 9Point8 dropper (200mm)

I luv this bike, maybe not the best climber, but as stated above really fun to ride and a really heavy hitting trail bike

Mine is going to the Mega this year, I have no worries about the bike, just the rider :blink:

Ive got a L carbon , im 1.86 and happy . Could probably ride xl , but tested al large and loved it . Very responsive and the big wheels inspire confidence .... get it you wont be sorry .

Jeffsy bundu bashing ... Nahoon river East london

Looks like above the Abbotsford bridge

Sent from my Motorola Startack

Nope trail between Nahoon dam and hillview ... only problem totally overgrown ... we used to ride it years ago ... pity ....nice dropper post steep.

Edited by captain morgan