Fox remote lock out problems

colindavie86

Hi

Does anyone successfully run Fox remote lock out? My bike came with front and rear on one remote. I find I have to strip,clean, oil and resemble every third ride to keep them smooth. And I still find I have to bend down and assist them to release.

Not sure if I am doing something wrong or maybe there is a trick I don't know about.

Thanks 

There is a fairly big setup process for those units..they are a bit mmmmm..sometimes they work for a while but they always tend to give problems..get a second lever and run them seperately..

Hi

Is it that small blue cap?  My LBS indicated that they are replacing them as the current one works on a small plastic washer that can get stuck instead of a bearing type.  

However the component is on backorder so they dont have any at the moment.  

post-65102-0-90215600-1495903565.jpg

Which fork and shock do you have? The FIT4 are known to be a bit sticky, but there is an updated spring assembly for the shock that solves the issue. As for the fork, it's generally just an adjustment.

Also when you say oiling, if you're oiling the cables you're asking for ***. It just drags dirt in and makes the problem worse.

The newer forks require a correct setup to work properly, I have done a few where the cables haven't been great - read used, and once setup correctly from scratch they work. the rear is generally not that bad...

• 3 years later...

Hi, i have a FOX SC 32 Float Performance (100mm, 29") that came on a Santa Cruz Blur. The bike has a lockout (push to unlock). i bought the bike used and the lockout was working ok (1-2 rides). I then took it in for a service and since then the lock out is inconsistent - i.e. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.The cable / shifter seem to be working fine as i can see the blue cap moving. I am taking it back to my LBS but wanted to ask:

1) Has anyone else experienced this? Is there something specific that is causing this?

2) is there an LBS in Gauteng that is best equipped to deal with this?

Thanks!

Hi @JulienR

I had a similar issue on a Fox 34.

Is the lockout not working in that it's not locking out the fork or is it when you unlock it doesnt return to unlock mode.

If the prior , then could be the damper. The O rings could be pinched and allowing the oil through even in lockout.

If the latter then sounds like the lockout wasnt clocked properly. ie the spring isnt tensioned enough to open. 

Check 

Edited by stevieg8

Hi @JulienR

I had a similar issue on a Fox 34.

Is the lockout not working in that it's not locking out the fork or is it when you unlock it doesnt return to unlock mode.

If the prior , then could be the damper. The O rings could be pinched and allowing the oil through even in lockout.

If the latter then sounds like the lockout wasnt clocked properly. ie the spring isnt tensioned enough to open. 

Check 

Thanks for the feedback - the issue is that the fork is not locking out - i will check out the videos

Remove the adjusters and check that the compression adjuster peg turns freely, and the fork locks out when the peg is turned full clockwise.

If all is well, check the bearing that the compression spool turns on in the cable stop.

Then follow the instructions in the relevant video to clock the compression spool - this is the most common issue. If the spring disengages when the lever is depressed, the spring has at some point been overclocked and the tang is bent. Disassemble the adjuster assembly, flip the spring over, start again.

If it still doesn't return fully, change cables.

I deal with those situations daily . The is a bearing that needs to be replaced on the lockout ( blue cap ) . If you were in Cape Town would have sorted you out .