[Event] Stellenbosch Mountain Bike Challenge

Dirtopia MTB Events

Event Name: Stellenbosch Mountain Bike Challenge
When: 30 July 2017
Where: Stellenbosch, Western Cape
Category: MTB

The Stellenbosch MTB Challenge formally known as Die Burger MTB Challenge brings more than 5000 outdoor enthusiasts to this beautiful town every year, and in 2017 it will take place on Sunday, 30 July.

One of South Africa’s largest one-day mountain bike events, it is renowned for its challenging and picturesque Wineland routes and will once again be held in association with the Simonsberg Conservancy with six scenic mountain bike routes to cater for all levels of riding.

Meurant Botha of Dirtopia, who has been designing and maintaining mountain bike trails for nearly 20 years says that the routes will pass through more than 50 farms in the area, giving riders the opportunity to tackle some of the best and most beautiful trails in the country. At the finish line, there will be kid’s entertainment, food & drink, medals to all finishers and a lucky draw where a bike can be won!

DATE:Sunday, 30 July 2017

VENUE: Stellenbosch: start @ Eikestad Primary school and finish at van der Stel Sportgrounds

TIME:First start at 08h05, last at 10h20 (provisional)

DISTANCES:

• 15km funride for children & novices.

• 30km funride for beginner riders

• 50km funride for intermediate

• 42km challenge for intermediate riders, but fitter riders

• 60km challenge for advanced riders

• 75km invitation race for top riders

Entries are open and close 19th of July or as soon as the entry limit is reached.Entries and further information on the event website www.stellenboschmtbchallenge.co.za or email entries@dirtpass.co.zaor call Dirtopia Trail Centre on 021 884 4752.

Make sure you LIKE Stellenbosch MTB Challenge page on Facebook to stay updated with all information.

Go to Event Page

hubevents-17845-0-24987500-1496061244_thumb.jpg

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

60km here I come. 

Probably will have to drag the Mtb out, pump the tires and do a bit of training for this one.  :whistling:

60km here I come. 

Probably will have to drag the Mtb out, pump the tires and do a bit of training for this one.  :whistling:

Leave it until the week of the event so you don't over train and burn yourself out.

Leave it until the week of the event so you don't over train and burn yourself out.

Shot Bro, sound like great advice.... Besides, I do not want to wear out my new tires.   :D  ;)

Edit: Do you think doing the Spes Bona / Occultdale loop this weekend will be too much too soon?

Edited by Wannabe

When will the route and profile information be published?

I see on the website they are looking to change the routes. Could be interesting but I would be surprised if it is anymore than I slight tweak (at least for the more "serious" routes going North)

Will be back for the 75km (this race is getting a bit pricey but I enjoyed the route last year)

• 2 weeks later...

The route should be the same as last year, some lovely single track next to the Eerste River and climbing up the hill across from Spier.

The route should be the same as last year, some lovely single track next to the Eerste River and climbing up the hill across from Spier.

They specifically say:

"We are looking into adjusting the route from previous years. Route maps will be released soon."

From here: http://www.stellenboschmtbchallenge.co.za/route-info/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be very surprised if they take the parts I mentioned out of the route. Might have a few extra bridges and minor tweaks, then again I only a few sections of the 50km.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really keen on doing the 42Km but what annoys me is that you only start at 9:40!

That means that you only finish around 2PM.

I might have to do the less challenging 50 Km which starts at 8:10 instead just so that I can get back to family at a reasonable hour.

Has anyone done the 50 KM before? I assume its mostly jeep track and gravel roads, not so much fun single-track?

The 60 Km is beyond my current fitness level but even that only starts at 9.

• 3 weeks later...

42km entered.

I'm really keen on doing the 42Km but what annoys me is that you only start at 9:40!

That means that you only finish around 2PM.

I might have to do the less challenging 50 Km which starts at 8:10 instead just so that I can get back to family at a reasonable hour.

Has anyone done the 50 KM before? I assume its mostly jeep track and gravel roads, not so much fun single-track?

The 60 Km is beyond my current fitness level but even that only starts at 9.

Did it 2 or 3 years back, and assuming it is more or less the same route, yes, mostly jeep tracks and gravel roads among the vineyards. Pretty much no single track

The 50km changed last year and it does have a nice bit of single track next to Eersterivier and also going up the hill across from Spier. I have done it a few times since they built it after last years race.