Depends. Was your FTP test from your Power Meter? The same Power meter you plan to train with on TrainerRoad?

If "Yes" then in theory you wouldn't need to do a test when you start...just manually input your FTP and then in 4 weeks you'll test again anyway.

Yes. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I Love mine.

TR gets you going and as mentioned its long only 60-90 minutes. if you want you can go to 3 hours.

I use mine even in summer, getting onto the road is a challenge. 90% training with TR for the 36One this year. 

even their podcasts are good to listen to every week.

I've signed up! Now to decide with which training plan to go with.. Seems like they all start with a FTP test regardless whether you know your figure or not.  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

I've signed up! Now to decide with which training plan to go with.. Seems like they all start with a FTP test regardless whether you know your figure or not.  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

training is testing and testing is training

Just do the FTP!!!! If i can give you some advice, stick to the program don't try to be clever and change the days around or something funny like that, it will hurt you !!!

If you don't know your actual FTP from testing then whatever plan you do you won't be training right!!

There is no point presuming that you know the figure... and anyways when you first start training with an IDT it is better to have a slightly lower FTP than what you think from road riding as there is a difference between riding on an IDT and on the road

If you don't know your actual FTP from testing then whatever plan you do you won't be training right!!

There is no point presuming that you know the figure... and anyways when you first start training with an IDT it is better to have a slightly lower FTP than what you think from road riding as there is a difference between riding on an IDT and on the road

or just suffer more. Its manageable to do the workouts based on outdoor FTP. (it will hurt though)

Just do the FTP!!!! If i can give you some advice, stick to the program don't try to be clever and change the days around or something funny like that, it will hurt you !!!

agree 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will add the reason for doing an FTP on a trainer and not using numbers you get from figures whilst out riding is that there could be as much as 30w difference between the road and IDT.... it much harder on an IDT so if you try and train based on your road FTP you could well do more harm than good.

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/adjusting-your-functional-threshold-power-for-indoor-riding/

• 2 years later...

Hi.. considering the latest price increase to $19.95/month or $189.95/year i.e. approximately R300/month or R2900 a year given the current exchange rate. Do you think TrainerRoad is still worth it? 

Sufferfest and you get access to Training Peaks.

The question is for TrainerRoad, not TrainingPeaks. :-)

Hi.. considering the latest price increase to $19.95/month or $189.95/year i.e. approximately R300/month or R2900 a year given the current exchange rate. Do you think TrainerRoad is still worth it? 

There was a lot of chirping on their forum about this increase, the previous increase went from 99 to 129 in Oct 18 I think. But you had an option to be grandfathered in on the old 99 usd if you kept your subscription going (auto renew annually) this was announced far and wide, but the incr to 189 usd wasn't announced, so it pissed a lot of people off.

thank goodness i got grandfathered in at 99 usd.

The general consensus is though, that its still worth the money and in line with other apps. In terms of value, I suppose its what you want from a training app.

For structured training and self coaching and a simple to use app then TR is the way to go

If its virtual rides or racing against your mates, then maybe Zwift or Rouvy is the way to go

TR is far more structured and they have some unique features that others don't - their calendar and drag an drop calendar management, as well as being able to upload your training calendar to outside calender's like Outlook etc, I don't think any other app offers this - Also you can now upload workouts to your Garmin etc. and do them outside on your bike with a power meter.

If i was new to online apps, i would try each one for a month to suit what i wanted and then decide from there.

Oh! BTW I have promo codes if you want, not sure how it works - I think you get 1 month free on a 12 month sub if you use it.

Edited by madmarc

If you are time bound, take your cycling “seriously” and want the best results for effort all on a very user friendly and good platform then I’ll say yes, it is very good value for money still.

DCRainmaker actually covered this on his podcast recently, made a very good point that the monthly costs of most of these services is very undervalued when comparing what we pay for other things.

DCRainmaker actually covered this on his podcast recently, made a very good point that the monthly costs of most of these services is very undervalued when comparing what we pay for other things.

R300/month is small potatoes compared to the cost of cycling in general (especially MTB) with equipment, race entry fees, petrol etc.