WTF CSA?

Patchelicious

AFAIK the PPA/CSA court case outcome did not over turn the requirements for sanctioning of the event, but did rule that the sanctioning does not have to come from CSA, but can also be PPA.

Perhaps 947 runs under PPA? But PPA is not represented in Gauteng, so I doubt it

no-one can sanction an event other than CSA - if an organiser says he is

sanctioned , ask for the sanctioning certificate.

remember , if something major goes wrong at a cycling event - sports and

recreation phone CSA first. so i have sympathy for csa but they are clueless

about their sport on a national level.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no-one can sanction an event other than CSA - if an organiser says he is

sanctioned , ask for the sanctioning certificate.

remember , if something major goes wrong at a cycling event - sports and

recreation phone CSA first. so i have sympathy for csa but they are clueless

about their sport on a national level.

So how do organisers/events get away with it if they don't get sanctioned? Its a legal requirement under the Sport/Rec act...

So how do organisers/events get away with it if they don't get sanctioned? Its a legal requirement under the Sport/Rec act...

Where did you read that? If you adhere to the municipal bylaws, and you have a risk categorization certificate (if needed) according to the 2000 Act2/2010 then you can host any event. Or did I misunderstood your statement?

Where did you read that? If you adhere to the municipal bylaws, and you have a risk categorization certificate (if needed) according to the 2000 Act2/2010 then you can host any event. Or did I misunderstood your statement?

Some provinces have insisted on a sanctioning certificate from a governing body before they will process the risk categorisation. But I must say that this has also not been a consistent thing, so perhaps it just depends who received the application

If anyone is interested, here is a link to the SASREA 2010 Act.

https://www.gov.za/sites/www.gov.za/files/a2_2010.pdf

Page 7 Chapter 2 point 4 refers to controlling body (amongst others) which would be CSA in the case of cycling but I don't see anywhere that it requires sanctioning from the National Sport Federation (CSA) for an event to get its risk categorization, i.e. permission to hold the event.  Maybe someone else can work that link out/explain CSA's claim that by law you cannot hold an event without their permission.  Is there some other law I'm not aware of?

The *for that needs to be submitted asks for the controlling body’s details (3.3 of the application form).

For the race I’m involved with it is Gauteng East Cycling, and not CSA.

Edit: Form*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Frosty

its a very grey area - anyone can organise an event with permission from the

events office. just make sure that you fulfill all requirement ito health

and safety. in sport you should have permission from national sporting body

remember the saracens rugby game at CT stadium being shot down by SARU and the

liverpool Ajax CT game being shot down by safa. same with the Argus not

being sanctioned and they wanted to bring out Cavendish - no sanction no

Cavendish - something the PPA clowns didnt think of when they went to court.

wrt local events , Cavendish doesn't ride them hence organisers

take the gap and put more money in their pocket.

Edited by Andy Arnesan

The *for that needs to be submitted asks for the controlling body’s details (3.3 of the application form).

For the race I’m involved with it is Gauteng East Cycling, and not CSA.

Edit: Form*

from what i understand - cycle races with participants of less than 2000

are low risk events. sporting events such as rugby , soccer matches

held in a stadium with spectators are high risk hence SAPS intervention

and their risk categorisation.

Reading all the above, it seems there are LOADS of misinformation regarding what a race organiser can or cannot do with regards to sanctioning?

Interesting.

There is no law that says a sports event MUST be sanctioned by a sports governing body. An event is ultimately governed by the National Sport and Recreation Amendment Act 18 of 2007 if your event complies with all the requirements of this act you are entitled to host your event.

The benefit that you have if you sanction your event is that CSA covers your insurance for the event, now if you consider the history CSA has with mismanagement of funds I am not sure if I will hedge my bets on them actually paying for said insurance so, if you have your own insurance cover for your event there isn't much value in sanctioning your event other that getting mentioned on the CSA calendar.

The only real benefit IMO is that a sanctioned event has an official commissaire (That you pay for above and beyond your sanctioning fees)

CSA loves to threaten their members with the following:

CSA members are in contravention of “UCI rule 1.2.019 – Forbidden races” by taking part in non-sanctioned events and may be subject to suspension or be liable to pay a fine. this rule however only applies to members with full racing licenses.

Let me explain the difference

Full racing license holders:

This category of license is for riders from the age of 17-years-old who wish to be eligible for provincial and national selection and respective colours award. The bearer of a full license is entitled to partake in national championship or series race and be seeded accordingly. Those of who race in the UCI categories (Junior, U23 and Elite) earn UCI points, which will assist them in being seeded at future UCI category events, World Cups and Championships. The cost of a full racing license is R400 per year, and the applicant has to be member of an affiliated club, as well as be a registered member of Cycling SA. These MUST be done simultaneously for a Full Racing License to be valid. Full Racing Licenses are only valid from 1 January to 31 December each year.

CSA Membership holders:

A membership holder is entitled to enter any event, irrespective of discipline, without having to purchase a day license. A member is allowed to participate in a national series event, but will not be eligible for national or provincial selection. A membership of Cycling SA is the most basic form of license and is an agreement of the rider to abide by the rules of the event in which they participate.

Now if you consider the official stance of Cycling South Africa is that the UCI rule 1.2.019 pertaining to Forbidden Races only applies to full racing license holders and not to those cyclists that hold a general Cycling South Africa membership it is only a small portion of the racing field that could suffer from taking part in non sanctioned events.

At the end of the day I really don't see any value for the athlete taking part in sanctioned events other than knowing if you do take part in a sanctioned event that all the legal requirements (should) be in place. This shouldn't be understated though!! there are a lot of fly by night events that do not comply with the sports and recreation act which could be dangerous to athletes as well as spectators but I can also say that I have taken part in CSA sanctioned events where even basic first aid wasn't available.

from what i understand - cycle races with participants of less than 2000

are low risk events. sporting events such as rugby , soccer matches

held in a stadium with spectators are high risk hence SAPS intervention

and their risk categorisation.

The event I’m involved with has had >3000 and as high as 5500 participants. Every year it is classified low risk.

The SAPS clearance certificate still needs to be issued for low risk events.

Herewith a copy of the application form to apply for risk categorisation - a compulsory requirement for any event.

SAPS Sect. 6 - Appl'n. blank. Categorisation.pdf

This is where it gets interesting for me. The form asks for details regarding the controlling body but nowhere in the Act is it stipulated that the event organizers MUST have permission from the controlling body. Or have I read the Act wrong?

There is no law that says a sports event MUST be sanctioned by a sports governing body. An event is ultimately governed by the National Sport and Recreation Amendment Act 18 of 2007 if your event complies with all the requirements of this act you are entitled to host your event.

The benefit that you have if you sanction your event is that CSA covers your insurance for the event, now if you consider the history CSA has with mismanagement of funds I am not sure if I will hedge my bets on them actually paying for said insurance so, if you have your own insurance cover for your event there isn't much value in sanctioning your event other that getting mentioned on the CSA calendar.

The only real benefit IMO is that a sanctioned event has an official commissaire (That you pay for above and beyond your sanctioning fees)

CSA members are in contravention of “UCI rule 1.2.019 – Forbidden races” by taking part in non-sanctioned events and may be subject to suspension or be liable to pay a fine. this rule however only applies to members with full racing licenses.

This category of license is for riders from the age of 17-years-old who wish to be eligible for provincial and national selection and respective colours award. The bearer of a full license is entitled to partake in national championship or series race and be seeded accordingly. Those of who race in the UCI categories (Junior, U23 and Elite) earn UCI points, which will assist them in being seeded at future UCI category events, World Cups and Championships. The cost of a full racing license is R400 per year, and the applicant has to be member of an affiliated club, as well as be a registered member of Cycling SA. These MUST be done simultaneously for a Full Racing License to be valid. Full Racing Licenses are only valid from 1 January to 31 December each year.

CSA Membership holders:

A membership holder is entitled to enter any event, irrespective of discipline, without having to purchase a day license. A member is allowed to participate in a national series event, but will not be eligible for national or provincial selection. A membership of Cycling SA is the most basic form of license and is an agreement of the rider to abide by the rules of the event in which they participate.

Now if you consider the official stance of Cycling South Africa is that the UCI rule 1.2.019 pertaining to Forbidden Races only applies to full racing license holders and not to those cyclists that hold a general Cycling South Africa membership it is only a small portion of the racing field that could suffer from taking part in non sanctioned events.

At the end of the day I really don't see any value for the athlete taking part in sanctioned events other than knowing if you do take part in a sanctioned event that all the legal requirements (should) be in place. This shouldn't be understated though!! there are a lot of fly by night events that do not comply with the sports and recreation act which could be dangerous to athletes as well as spectators but I can also say that I have taken part in CSA sanctioned events where even basic first aid wasn't available.

Event insurance through CSA is convenient but you could get it elsewhere. Event organizer will pay CSA for insurance. At no point do they cover a single expense.

There is no law that says a sports event MUST be sanctioned by a sports governing body. An event is ultimately governed by the National Sport and Recreation Amendment Act 18 of 2007 if your event complies with all the requirements of this act you are entitled to host your event.

CSA Membership holders:

The UCI rule cannot override the Constitution of South Africa which allows for freedom of association amongst others. The suspension or fining of riders for competing in unsanctioned events is illegal.

th

The UCI rule cannot override the Constitution of South Africa which allows for freedom of association amongst others. The suspension or fining of riders for competing in unsanctioned events is illegal.

this is a convenient rule to quote when all else fails but if you are a

member of a sporting body and you transgress their rules then you must face

the consequences ie if you are a member of a soccer/rugby/cricket club , you cant

just help your mates out at another club for one game. you can quote 'freedom

of association' all day long in your disciplinary hearing. dont worry about

the 'forbidden race' issue - CSA don't have the manpower to police it.

Edited by Andy Arnesan