WTF CSA?

Patchelicious

The positive route has been tried by many, and many here!

If they don’t have the funds to correctly manage cycling, then they shouldn’t drag the sport down with them.

People are not upset with CSA out of the blue, they are not boycotting as a first port of call. Just as a person doesn’t wake up one morning at 400kg, they didn’t wake up one morning bankrupt, they got themselves there over time, and it wasn’t all by accident.

Edit: Why do we need them? Honestly, not being facetious, but what is it that they contribute to me and you and the when we pay our annual fees?

The current management have driven CSAinto the ground so until there is a complete overhaul of management at CSA I will not pay license fees..that my little statement.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We

What happens to the R35.00 day license they collect from each competitor at all the MTB events around the country, must also amount to a huge sum.

Don’t quote me but I think it’s as follows:

R5 to the race organiser

R15 to the region

R15 to CSA.

Why? No idea.

What happens to the money?

I haven’t seen any income of R5 * X, where X = the number of day licences. This for the event I’m part of.

The amount is not that high - less than 100 on a 3500 entry field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the funny thing... everyone is attacking CSA, boycotting fee's, skipping licensing, telling events to skip being sanctioned but then complaining that CSA have no money.

This is what happens when they have no money. There is no Lotto funding either as far as I am aware.

CSA has huge faults, don't get me wrong, but breaking them down achieves little too.

Positive engagement goes a long way, we need them any which way you want to look at it.

Just my 2 cents

Correct, the Lotto funding ended in 2016. It was mentioned in the reply.

Boycotting CSA is easy, just like the DSTV, the mobile phone companies and other providers where perceived value for money is less than desirable.

R250 is not a lot of money, for me, and certainly not a lot in CSA’s books. But if CSA finds that a few 1000 no longer pay, it will certainly hurt their pocket more than the R250 saved by each person.

We (my club) received a letter (posted previously in this thread) and we decided to respond. Their subsequent reply had lots to say but very little meat. The only positive is that we get to register our development riders as a beneficiary from a local race.

There are plans for a national seeding index + timing chip and the current online entry via their “app”. It’s been on the cards for years, and still nothing.

Edited by Frosty

YOU GOT A REPLY FROM THE GM!!!!Is he still there????Why?

Didn't Carbon29er from TheHub take up a financial role at CSA shortly after the *** hit the fan?  (To sort it all out - he had nothing to do with it).

He struck me as a fairly straight up guy who didn't mince his words.  I was hoping we would get some progress reports direct from the horses mouth - but see he hasn't been on TheHub for a couple months now...

Didn't Carbon29er from TheHub take up a financial role at CSA shortly after the *** hit the fan?  (To sort it all out - he had nothing to do with it).

He struck me as a fairly straight up guy who didn't mince his words.  I was hoping we would get some progress reports direct from the horses mouth - but see he hasn't been on TheHub for a couple months now...

http://www.onyourbike.bike/2017/12/02/time-new-leadership/

"n 2017 a Financial Trustee was appointed, but despite the official CSA website claiming Robert Booth is still in the position, it is significant he is not listed as “attending” the National Convention or apologizing for not attending. This is because he has resigned as a Financial Trustee, which means CSA has effectively been without any proper financial guidance for the better part of three years."

Are they speculating, or is it truth?

http://www.onyourbike.bike/2017/12/02/time-new-leadership/

"n 2017 a Financial Trustee was appointed, but despite the official CSA website claiming Robert Booth is still in the position, it is significant he is not listed as “attending” the National Convention or apologizing for not attending. This is because he has resigned as a Financial Trustee, which means CSA has effectively been without any proper financial guidance for the better part of three years."

Are they speculating, or is it truth?

Truth apparently he moved to Aus.

Here's the funny thing... everyone is attacking CSA, boycotting fee's, skipping licensing, telling events to skip being sanctioned but then complaining that CSA have no money. 

This is what happens when they have no money. There is no Lotto funding either as far as I am aware. 

CSA has huge faults, don't get me wrong, but breaking them down achieves little too.

Positive engagement goes a long way, we need them any which way you want to look at it.

Just my 2 cents

If they were;

Transparent

Accountable

Consistant

Competent 

There would be (and has been) the world of positive engagement and understanding of the CSA's challenges, it's a two way street and CSA need rider support as much anything else. Arguably more so. 

As an organisation they've broken down a few riders and committed staff/volunteers and practically dragged the administration of the sport down with them. It's not entirely the fault of the lack of Lotto funding, which could well be due to the lack of fulfilling criteria laid out by Lotto.

That's not breaking them down, it's fact.

Ask CSA why there are some riders who have been bust by SAIDS and received doping sanctions, but there is no comms sent out.

No comms on riders who have appealed a sanction successfully, but no comms on the case.

Riders representing SA in mismatched kit or incorrect sizing. 

Lack of safety at SA Champs, no race reports. No race reports of the SA Cup XCO in Stellenbosch, with an international attendance that rivals most World Cup events.

In all most all these aspects the slack is picked up by organiser, the industry and riders in general. Things are being done in spite of CSA, not because of it.

Yet there are paid CSA staff taking home a salary on the back of this who are SUPPOSED to be managing the sport as commercially viable.

Indicative of our national government.

Sorry if my post came across as somewhat in defense of CSA... my point was more about them simply not having the capital to do the things people are now wanting them to do. They may well not deserve our support, but then we must also not expect much from them - nothing in life is free.

I agree they could definitely be more transparent - they would quite possibly garner more support if people had a clearer idea of their vision for CSA heading forward. 

It's also great to call for a big clear-out, but lots of these people are volunteers, the salaries even in the higher positions are very unlikely to be remotely impressive. There isn't exactly a long queue of people lining up to do this work

And yes we do need a sporting body (or should we just can SAFA, SARU, ASA etc etc) because like many other governing bodies they were not correctly administrated at some point or another. Don't we want National teams? Riders at Commonwealth games and Olympics? An organised sporting calendar? Coaching clinics, National race series, race safety officers, rider development, legislation etc etc

As much as CSA has let us down in the past, we do in my view still need them

The only reason they are needed atm is for the pro's to be registered with the UCI.. clubs and events are doing far more for the sport than what CSA are.

And it's because the pro's need them that they have gotten away with poor management for so long.

Compare CSA to some of the other sports governing body (even with all their nonsense) and you will truly realise how pathetic they are... they don't even try.

Edited by Gen

Truth apparently he moved to Aus.

I want CSA to work.  I really do.  I think there is enough talent in SA to be a force to reckon with on the international stage.  And one way (not the only way) for them to get to said stage is via a national body.  Unless our young riders see a well marked out path to success, they will either leave for greener pastures or follow different sporting codes...  

That said, CSA are showing no signs of changing their ways (that I can see).  The fact that they still show Rob Booth as their financial controller even though he is now in Australia just gives me the feeling they are trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes.

Disclaimer:  the above statement assumes Rob has indeed moved to Aus and assumes he is not working for CSA remotely ;-)

It's also great to call for a big clear-out, but lots of these people are volunteers, the salaries even in the higher positions are very unlikely to be remotely impressive. There isn't exactly a long queue of people lining up to do this work

I hear you Andrew.  Having been involved in Clubs of different sports at various times I know that 95% of all the work is done by the same 5% of members every year.  It's a thankless task.  But each year, those 5% volunteer again (with hopefully one or two new faces.  Why - because they love the sport/club.

I do think there are enough cycling passionate individuals in this country that could make a better run of the CSA than the current lot. Yes, I'm sure that some of the staff/volunteers at CSA are breaking their backs trying to make it work, but I suspect some of the more influential/higher ranked officials may not have the same agenda.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that, should the top positions at CSA be advertised as vacant tomorrow, you would have 3 or 4 applications for each position by the end of the week.  Their paper qualifications may not be on par with the current 'leaders' but they would have cycling as their first priority.  And quite frankly, I doubt they could do a worse job than the current leaders.

I want CSA to work. I really do. I think there is enough talent in SA to be a force to reckon with on the international stage. And one way (not the only way) for them to get to said stage is via a national body. Unless our young riders see a well marked out path to success, they will either leave for greener pastures or follow different sporting codes...

That said, CSA are showing no signs of changing their ways (that I can see). The fact that they still show Rob Booth as their financial controller even though he is now in Australia just gives me the feeling they are trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes.

Disclaimer: the above statement assumes Rob has indeed moved to Aus and assumes he is not working for CSA remotely ;-)

IF he is still working for them, well then....

IF he is still working for them, well then....

CSA Contact Us page:

Telephone Number: +27 21 917 1736

Fax Number: +27 21 917 1749

Email: info@cyclingsa.com

Telephone Extensions:

10 - Membership Queries - Siphokazi Magingxa

12 - Finance - Magda Kraemer

13 - Membership and Licensing (Domestic & International Racing Licenses) - Tarryn Duncan

14 - Calendar/Events and Team Registrations - Prudence Pietersen

16 - Secretary General - Gregory van Heerden

And their about us page:

post-14863-0-38096400-1518359354_thumb.jpg