WTF CSA?

Patchelicious

Only if the bazaar sanctioned their race with CSA. If not, then no, they will not be covered unless they took out their own insurance for the event.

Indeed correct.

Do you know of ANY races held in SA that are not sanctioned?  

I don't 

If they are not sanctioned, they have a 99% change of getting a letter from CSA threatening them about it.  Ask Kremetart and CTCT for instance.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed correct.

I don't 

If they are not sanctioned, they have a 99% change of getting a letter from CSA threatening them about it.  Ask Kremetart and CTCT for instance.

MANY of the fun rides we did last year did NOT have a CSA tax .....

That's why so many smaller races like the bazaar races no longer exist or fore-go sanctioning, because the sanctioning and the costs related to that makes it too expensive to organise a race as a quick fundraising project.

This seems to be more prevalent in the platteland...

Edited by sias

Indeed correct.

I don't 

Have you seen such a letter? Is it something of a legal letter with the intent of pressing charges? Or a generic "E-toll" letter?

I would like to organize a very informal but public race, and would like to know what the CSA repercussion would be if I don't involve them at all.

Indeed correct.

I don't 

Karoo2Coast?

Have had 2 mails regarding my CSA renewals already and so far have ignored both.In 7 years i have never needed their stupid insurance cover.They have contributed sweet nothing to my riding,to any event i have done or anything else for that matter.A changing of the guard is not the solution to their problems.A complete refocus and new strategies is what needs to happen along with new blood.  

Have you seen such a letter? Is it something of a legal letter with the intent of pressing charges? Or a generic "E-toll" letter?

I would like to organize a very informal but public race, and would like to know what the CSA repercussion would be if I don't involve them at all.

They can't do anything about it.

Have had 2 mails regarding my CSA renewals already and so far have ignored both.In 7 years i have never needed their stupid insurance cover.They have contributed sweet nothing to my riding,to any event i have done or anything else for that matter.A changing of the guard is not the solution to their problems.A complete refocus and new strategies is what needs to happen along with new blood.  

I have claimed twice for dislocated shoulders and once when my daughter broke her wrist. Its a simple process and all three times got the money before I had to pay the medical bills. 

If they are not sanctioned, they have a 99% change of getting a letter from CSA threatening them about it. Ask Kremetart and CTCT for instance.

I'm pretty sure the case between CSA and PedalPower around the CTCT set that aside.

No impact, but to get risk clearance, you need insurance. It might be cheaper to go the CSA route, than to get insurance for the event via other routes

I'm pretty sure the case between CSA and PedalPower around the CTCT set that aside.

Spot on - CSA does not have exclusive rights to cycling events in SA. 

I've lost my sh!t twice with CSA in the past year.

The first was when registering for 36One. Now the race starts on Friday evening at 6pm, and you've got 36 hours to finish. I despise CSA tax, and for this reason I refuse to renew my membership, so obviously I have to buy a day licence. But, because we will be finishing on Saturday, we need to be TWO day licences. When I asked about those riders that will finish after midnight on Saturday and whether they needed to buy 3 licences the answer was no. So then why 2 day licences? Much like talking to a brick wall, there was very little chance of me getting a sensible answer for this decision. It smacked to me of a get rich quick scheme where they could make double the amount of money for almost no effort...

(If you've never seen a CSA commissar out on the route, do they even exist?)

Next was the DC. Our mixed team had some riders on bikes with disc brakes. Someone moaned and took a photo. CSA officials disqualified the team. Luckily, I had saved an article from In The Bunch where Mike Bradley (https://inthebunch.co.za/2017/06/use-of-disc-brakes-why-and-who-the-ban-applies-to/) says that they have no jurisdiction over fun riders. They were undisqualified.

Why did it take me to tell a commissar how to apply the rules of the governing body that he is representing? What other k@k and uninformed decisions are they making?

Next was the DC. Our mixed team had some riders on bikes with disc brakes. Someone moaned and took a photo. 

What kind of k@k person would do something like this for a result on a funride?

What kind of k@k person would do something like this for a result on a funride?

That's still mild - read my blog report from the DC to see the lengths that some people go to.

(And when we reported the incident to the commissars, "their hands were tied", despite all the evidence. There was a complete lack of will to sort things out. Much easier to go after Magnus Bäckstedt for riding a bike with discs)

I was asked if Patch’s favourite employee (CSA’s GM) has resigned... anyone with reliable info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk